Author Topic: Yet another formula help post  (Read 1798 times)

Haps

• View Profile
Yet another formula help post
« on: August 05, 2008, 05:29:05 PM »
First I just wanted to say you have done some great work.  Last time I checked out tournament director was a few years ago and I have been using Neau's.  Decided to check out the latest version and am very impressed with all the stuff you have added to it.  Pretty much all of the things that were missing before that caused me to use Neau have been added plus alot more.  Was happy to see the new features as I've always liked the look of TD's screens.

In trying to get everything up and running I'm kinda stupid when it comes to formula's.  My league uses a weighted rank = points system.  10 players in the game it's a simple first = 10pts 2nd 9ts 3 8pts etc.

But when we only have 9 players we adjust the points so that 1st is worth 9.5pts 2nd 8.5pts etc.  Complete breakdown posted below:

10 Players

9 Players

8 Players

7 Players

6 Players

I'm just not quite sure how to get it to factor in everything and adjust points accordingly.

As an aside this may be possible and I haven't seen it yet but if not my league runs 13games a season and we discard the 3 lowest pts games so your season total is your best 10 out of 13 games.  Is there any way to do this in TD?

Phaze

• View Profile
Re: Yet another formula help post
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 06:50:22 PM »
Hey yo Haps,

may I ask ya a question? Why the off number for points, you could simplify things so much with the basic number of players minus player rank plus one formula (otherwise known as n-r+1) which is soooooo close to what you wanna do and will work whether you have 10, 9, or 20 people right off the hop, no fiddlin around.

To answer your question, yes you can do it, and say the word and I will write it out for ya, just seems kinda like a lot of typing for very little when you consider the above suggested formula.

As for your second part question the answer is yes, it is possible. Open up the Stats tab, click on the Filter button and in the new window on the bottom right hand side click on the Overall Scoring button.  Now I'm not all that keen on this part of the program as I have never really dabbled with it, but looking at the help file, I think this would be what you would want to put in the window for a formula. If I were you, I would wait for a second opinion before going ahead with it though:

assign("c", count(scores))
average(top(c-3, scores))
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:54:51 PM by Phaze »

Haps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 07:19:22 PM »
Hey yo Haps,

may I ask ya a question? Why the off number for points, you could simplify things so much with the basic

Because we believe that finishing say second out of 9 players is "more difficult" then finishing 3rd out of 10 players and the points should reflect it.  Or finishing first out of 9 players is harder then finishing second out of 10 players.

As for your second part question the answer is yes, it is possible. Open up the Stats tab, click on the Filter button and in the new window on the bottom right hand side click on the Overall Scoring button.  Now I'm not all that keen on this part of the program as I have never really dabbled with it, but looking at the help file, I think this would be what you would want to put in the window for a formula. If I were you, I would wait for a second opinion before going ahead with it though:

Yeah I don't need to worry about this till our next season starts in a month or so.  Too much of a pain to worry about right now that we are 12 games into our 13 game season.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 07:21:45 PM by Haps »

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »

Because we believe that finishing say second out of 9 players is "more difficult" then finishing 3rd out of 10 players and the points should reflect it.  Or finishing first out of 9 players is harder then finishing second out of 10 players.

I heartily agree with you. May I suggest this formula for ya then... round(10*sqrt(n)/sqrt(r))
You will find that it will reward people more points as they progress through more ranks... for examples (and using yours) finishing second of 9 gives you 21 points where finishing 3rd of 10 gives you 18 points. Note, I like to add the 10 * part in there to give a bit more separation of points but you can use whatever number you want.

The reason for creating a variable formula such as the one I suggested is that if you come across the situation where you have more or less players then the five examples you gave me, the variable formula will still hold true. Say you found that your tournament was more popular and you decide to make it a two table tournament, then you will have to add to your formula to take in account the extra players.

Also I noticed that there is a bit of a discrepancy in your point allocation. Say in your example of eight player, first through third is only a point difference each. Then for fourth and fifth place its a point and a half, and for the remainder its back to only a point difference again. For some reason this does not seem fair... In Seven and Six player games its a two point difference for the middle places. But again this is just my thoughts

Here is your formula the way you would like it, cheers  :D
n-r+1 + if(n = 9, if(r < 5, + .5), if( n = 8, if(r = 4, + .5, if( r < 4, +1)), if(n = 7, if(r < 5, +1), if(n = 6, if( r < 4, +1)))))