Author Topic: Licensing question.  (Read 3396 times)

Mesnik44

• View Profile
Licensing question.
« on: January 08, 2014, 01:16:53 PM »
Just a suggestion,

I have TD on a micro computer. I use it for my 10 man home games in my garage, and I have the computer connected to the internet so that when it checks for the license it does so seamlessly. Last weekend however, I hosted a 30 man tournament, and had to move the game to the amenity room. After dragging all the chips, tables, chairs, food, computer, etc to the room and set everything up, I was dismayed to find that the computer wanted to check for the license. So...I had to unplug everything and race back to my house, connect the computer up, and then validate the license. Once that was complete I was able to run my tournament in the amenity room.

So Corey, I ask this,

In future builds, would it be at all possible to have a validate license button, so that before the computer that has an internet connection is turned off, we can validate the license? It would be helpful in the fact that once validated I can move the computer to an area without internet coverage and still run my tournament?

Thank you in advance,
John.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:20:39 PM by Mesnik44 »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Licensing question.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 03:24:31 PM »
I'm truly sorry this happened to you.  I've tried to make the license validation as painless as possible.  I never would have implemented it if it wasn't [essentially] forced on me.

In future builds, would it be at all possible to have a validate license button, so that before the computer that has an internet connection is turned off, we can validate the license? It would be helpful in the fact that once validated I can move the computer to an area without internet coverage and still run my tournament?

This shouldn't be necessary.  Every time you start the TD software, it will attempt to validate the license.  If you're online your license will be validated and the 30-day window resets to 30 days.  If you're not online it won't be validated.  If you're still within that 30-day window (that is, it's been less than 30 days since the last time the software was able to validate the license), you won't even notice any of this happening.  It happens in the background and the TD won't bug you about it.  It's only if 30 days have passed since the last validation that you'll see anything.

Note that I use "30 days", but the period actually depends on your license.  30 days is common, but some vary.

There's an undocumented feature to help assist you in this specific situation.  Right-click anywhere in the software and select "About The Tournament Director".  Once the "About" dialog is open, press Ctrl+V (press the V key while holding down the Ctrl key).  You'll get a little dialog telling you when your license was last validated and when validation will next be required.

As a postscript: most people these days have always-on internet connectivity, and this isn't an issue.  Once they've entered their license key they really never notice anything again regarding their license.  But some have very specific situations that can make a 30-day window a real hassle.  I'm happy to modify the window length (within limits) for anyone who requests it for legitimate reasons.

Mesnik44

• View Profile
Re: Licensing question.
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 03:28:31 PM »
Hi Corey,

Thank you for the fast and detailed response.

I will make sure that in future to start TD, then move the computer should it be necessary.

I actually DO like that the program has to validate itself.

John.