Author Topic: Including an add-on to a persons buy-in  (Read 7945 times)

xavierzx11

• View Profile
Including an add-on to a persons buy-in
« on: May 14, 2006, 04:42:08 PM »
It would be nice to be able to include an add-on at the same time you buy-in a player.

jhisey

• View Profile
Re: Including an add-on to a persons buy-in
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 03:06:30 PM »
Will this ever be done?  It would be nice to have an add-on checkbox on the player buy-in page.  What would REALLY be nice, would be for the buyin checkboxes to be in columns along side the peoples names.  Before a tournament starts, I have people coming up and throwing money at me, some people doing the add-on right away, some doing bounty chips, and all different combinations.  It would be cool if I could just click off boxes next to each person for what they're buying in for so I don't have to close the dialog after each person because the next person wants different options.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 04:25:59 PM »
How would a checkbox help if you have to change the add-on settings each time?

jhisey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »
Well, try to picture the Add Players dialog looking something like this:

Name                       Buy-In            Add-On          Bounty
                           [ $40]            [ $15]          [  $5]

Jack Nimble                 []                 []              []
Jack Daniels                []                 []              []
Jim Beam                    []                 []              []

The amounts under each column are editable (just like they are in the current dialog) and I can check the boxes next to each player for the different options.

jhisey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »
So waddaya think?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »
Well, it's really a matter of UI design.  If we include add-ons at the time of buy-in, then rebuys would need to be included, too.  While a bounty cost of $0 means no bounty chip is purchased, that isn't the case with buy-ins, add-ons, and rebuys (a player can buy-in, add-on, or rebuy for a cost of $0).  So you couldn't just leave the add-on amount $0 while setting a buy-in cost of $40, for example, to indicate a player is buying-in but not adding on.  There would have to be an additional indicator, like a checkbox.  So now we're at

Name                       Buy-In     Add-On     Add-On     Bounty
                                                 Amount
                           [ $40]     [    ]     [ $15]     [  $5]

Jack Nimble                [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]
Jack Daniels               [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]
Jim Beam                   [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]

Now we add Rebuys

Name                       Buy-In     Add-On     Add-On     Rebuy      Rebuy      Bounty
                                                 Amount                Amount
                           [ $40]     [    ]     [ $15]     [    ]     [ $15]     [  $5]

Jack Nimble                [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]
Jack Daniels               [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]
Jim Beam                   [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]

Don't forget that each of those actions (buying-in, adding-on, rebuying) have their own rakes.

Name                       Buy-In     Buy-in     Add-On     Add-On     Add-on     Rebuy      Rebuy      Rebuy     Bounty
                           Amount      Rake                 Amount      Rake                 Amount      Rake
                           [ $40]     [    ]     [    ]     [ $15]     [    ]     [  $5]     [ $15]     [    ]    [  $5]

Jack Nimble                [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]    [    ]
Jack Daniels               [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]    [    ]
Jim Beam                   [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]     [    ]    [    ]

And the user can define multiple rakes, which means we add those columns, or the rake amount becomes a button.  And for each action, the player may receive a certain number of chips, and a certain amount of points (currently editable at the time of buy-in, rebuy, and add-on).  As you can see, this has gotten a little out of hand now...

So, it becomes a complete mess, OR a new type of buy-in dialog is created for a specific purpose (yours, in this case), where only a few items are displayed.  While I'm not against creating convenience functions, it should be beneficial to a decent sized audience to warrant the time and work involved.

So, what do YOU think?

jhisey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:40:48 PM »
My boxes weren't for $ amounts to be added but for checkboxes.  I think what I suggested isn't too far off what is available now.

Right now I can check multiple people and then check whether they are buying in, doing the bounty, etc.  However, I can't check an Add-On box which means while people are all throwing different amounts of money at me, I have to write down who's doing what so I can open and close the buy-in dialog multiple times, then do add-ons in a separate dialog before the game starts.

Lets say we just add a checkbox on the existing screen that says Add-On.  Then I can do the add-on at buy-in.  Is that ok?

If that's ok, then instead of checking off all the people and then checking buy-in, bounty, etc for that group, can we move the checkboxes from the people to the buy-in, bounty, add-on like the attached (of course, adding whatever other fields are needed).  I'd like to hear from others that use add-ons too.  I find it hard to believe anyone that uses add-ons wouldn't want a much easier way to add them prior to a game starting but maybe I'm wrong.  :o
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 02:50:51 PM by jhisey »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 04:24:40 PM »
Ah, I see what you were talking about now.  The attached picture cleared it up immediately.  That's good advice for everyone else out there: take the time to draw a mock up.  (just kidding, of course) :)

Hmm, so I tend to see this in a bigger picture sort of way.  Like a "custom" buy-in dialog.  By custom, I mean the user can customize it (to a degree).  For example, the dialog would always display a checkbox for the buy-in, but the user could choose whether or not to display the bounty column, add-on column, and/or rebuy column.  And further, since I've actually already had a request to allow for buying multiple add-ons and rebuys at the same time, the checkboxes for the add-on and rebuy columns could be configured to be numeric inputs, where the user could enter the number of add-ons and/or rebuys to be purchased.

I'll make a note of this on the to-do list...

jhisey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
I was hoping we were just not on the same wave and the picture would clear it up, lol.  What you suggest would be fantastic.  I just had a game with 18 people.  The buy-in is $30 and there's an optional $5 bounty and an optional $10 add-on.  18 people coming up and one guy hands me $30, next $45, next $35, next $40, first guy comes back and wants the bounty now, etc.; you can imagine the clicks and keystrokes and dialogs flying all over the place.  I'd love to test this customizable entry form for you!

Thanks Corey!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 08:05:10 AM by jhisey »

jeff b

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 04:02:44 PM »
I would love to have this feature available as well. We don't do many add-on tourneys, but I was planning on using add-ons to track which players paid extra to be eligible for points in our league. This would come in very handy.

jhisey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 03:01:28 PM »
Man, got all excited at a new release and was hoping this would be in there..   :'(

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 12:07:50 PM »
Sorry.  :(

But I am getting closer to a beta release of 2.6...  this feature isn't in there yet, but should be by the time 2.6 is released.

jhisey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 11:53:15 AM »
Any chance it will be ready by year end?  I'd love to start the new season with it :)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
I'd love nothing more than to say yes, but it will be ready when it is ready.  As I said before, this feature isn't there, but it is on the list to get some development time before 2.6 comes out of beta testing.

jhisey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
Sorry.  :(

But I am getting closer to a beta release of 2.6...  this feature isn't in there yet, but should be by the time 2.6 is released.

Doesn't look like it made beta2.  Beta 3 maybe? :)