Author Topic: League Points - Is it possible to embed an excel spreadsheet?  (Read 5685 times)

minerman

• View Profile
League Points - Is it possible to embed an excel spreadsheet?
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:14:35 AM »
Hello,

I have kind of a complicated scheme for league points.  I don't know if its possible to use tournament director to keep track of this.  I figure it might be easier to save a spreadsheet as an html file and display that. 

How would you handle this?

Individual Game Score = Number of players finished ahead of
Season Score = Top 10 Individual Game Scores

My players have an option of buying into each game.  So, for example.. I could have a tournament with 8 players, where only 5 are competing for a score (paid extra to contribute to a pot).

I have never used the tournament director to keep track of this type of thing.  I'm open to any solution.  I just figured letting excel handle it, saving it as whatever file, and then displaying it on one of my revolving screens, would be the easiest option.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: League Points - Is it possible to embed an excel spreadsheet?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:06:53 AM »
Individual = n-r (since you didn't state that lowest would get one point, there's no "+1" at the end)
Season = top(10, scores)

If you're only allowing those who "buy in" to get points, then you would only want to track those actually bought in, instead of all of them.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:17:12 AM »
To display an Excel spreadsheet, export the spreadsheet to HTML first.  Then reference the spreadsheet in the TD using the following HTML code in one of your Cells:

<iframe src="path-to-HTML-file" height=300 width=400></iframe>

Change the parameters for your file and your size preferences.

The TD can handle a lot.  However, in awarding points there is a limitation referencing other players and their points.  This is about as generic a way as I can put it.  It might affect your scoring method, it might not.  Depends on the specifics of how your score your players.

minerman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:29:58 PM »
Thanks for the quick response.

I used Corey's solution.  Works great!

Thanks!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
To display an Excel spreadsheet, export the spreadsheet to HTML first.  Then reference the spreadsheet in the TD using the following HTML code in one of your Cells:

<iframe src="path-to-HTML-file" height=300 width=400></iframe>

Change the parameters for your file and your size preferences.

The TD can handle a lot.  However, in awarding points there is a limitation referencing other players and their points.  This is about as generic a way as I can put it.  It might affect your scoring method, it might not.  Depends on the specifics of how your score your players.

I've tried to embed a file of my own for excel, with the file path of C:\Users\Mike\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\saves\Excel Updated Points.xlsx. I've done it as
Code: [Select]
<iframe src="C:\Users\Mike\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\saves\Excel Updated Points.xlsx" height="650" width="700"></iframe>but when I flip to the screen it says "Navigation to the webpage was canceled. What you can try: Retype the address". This should be pointing to a file on my laptop, not anything on the web.... Though I can confirm that a web-based iframe works (via poker-leaderboard.com)

What am I doing wrong??
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 12:32:03 PM »
When I try to embed an xlsx file, IE pops up the usual "Do you want to open or save this file?" dialog.  I can't embed it.  I've tried several ways, using a <IFRAME> and <OBJECT> but have had no success, within TD or just using IE.  Sorry.

Note that my earlier solution wasn't to embed the spreadsheet itself, but to save the spreadsheet as HTML, then embed it using an IFRAME.  That should work.  But I've had no luck embedding the xlsx file itself.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
Ahhh - That I must of missed seeing. I'll do that and that should work for my needs too. Won't be able to implement it til after running errands.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT - after correcting the path (.htm instead of tmh), it works great.... Thanks again!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 03:27:31 PM by Magic_fubu »
---