Author Topic: Master/Template  (Read 3548 times)

Lafrog

• View Profile
Master/Template
« on: September 09, 2015, 10:16:36 AM »
Hi all,

Don't know if this is already possible, if so I haven't found how, but I would like to have something that prevents overwriting some of my "default tournament"

Here is the scenario: We hold 5 leagues every week (mon-fri) each having their particularities. So I set up my five tournament files (lets call them masters) and each day, the current tournament director opens the corresponding master and start registering players. The problem here is that he should do a save-as FIRST (if I want my stats to be up-to-date). Well, you guessed it, they often forget to do the save as. I keep having to reset those masters week after week.

At the beginning I locked those files so that they couldn't be overwritten but if the director forgot to do the save as, TD would crash when attempting to save.

My request would be to add a new file type in TD (master) that would prompt the user to save the file on open (or give it a generic "number name" as we see in Word and Excel)
Also while we are at it, it would be even better if we could set a preference on how to name those master file upon openning (like: Season_League_Date, etc.)

TIA
Michel

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Master/Template
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 10:15:24 PM »
My suggestion would be what you've already done: create your templates and make them read-only.

At the beginning I locked those files so that they couldn't be overwritten but if the director forgot to do the save as, TD would crash when attempting to save.

Crash, as in the whole application stops working and exits?  When I try to save over a file which is read-only, I just get a dialog that says:

Name: Error
Number: 10 - 70
Description: Permission denied
at File.saveFile(String, String)
at saveTournament(String, Boolean)
at saveTournamentDialog()

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 12:06:48 PM »
From what I have been told/remember the program crashes after displaying the message...

But that notwithstanding, don't you think this "new file type" would make for a nice addition to your software?
I can't be the only one facing this scenario...

TIA
Michel

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »
It's an interesting idea, I admit.  I suppose an option could be to Save As Template, and when a [tournament] template is loaded, there is no option to Save, but only to Save As....  I'll give it some thought.

Asegzamfire

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 11:28:15 PM »
If it can help to solve that problem for now. I personally had that problem with assistant that was opening template and forget to save it in the date folder.

I simply decided to create all the folder for the month and the day in the month folder. Then i put a copy of the template in each of the day they belong too.

First of all i am sure every tournament are save where they are suppose to be saved (not loosing any tournament), it prevent the assistants from messing with the template, They are sure everything is perfect when they come in to run the tournament.

If you are using different league and use the stats Tab for your point, just make it the month folder and then the day folder, and all the dated tournament (date in the tittle) or every tournament in a folder with the date of the day. Our schedule is changing over month so its better for me like that but if it can help you!

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 09:06:44 AM »
Thanks!

Pascal right?

Asegzamfire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 04:13:37 PM »
Pascal it is, who i have the pleasure to talk with?

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 02:36:51 PM »
My suggestion would be what you've already done: create your templates and make them read-only.

Crash, as in the whole application stops working and exits?  When I try to save over a file which is read-only, I just get a dialog that says:

Name: Error
Number: 10 - 70
Description: Permission denied
at File.saveFile(String, String)
at saveTournament(String, Boolean)
at saveTournamentDialog()

Your right, the program does not crash but the error keeps returning in a loop... The only way to get out of this is by Force Quitting the app.
As I mentioned in the Beta thread. I think TD should quit attempting to save when this dialog is presented to allow for the HUMAN to correct the situation before the next cycle comes along.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 07:53:43 AM »
Oh, I see now.  This doesn't happen when you attempt to save the tournament.  That is, you'll get an error dialog, but just once.  It's when you turn on Auto-save.  Then it will continually pop-up a dialog as it continually tries to save the tournament.  And, as annoying as that is, there are moments in between the dialogs that you can navigate.  I was able to get back to the Game tab and uncheck Auto-save to make it stop.  Still, it should probably not continually do that, although it's only trying to do what it was told.  :)