Author Topic: Bounties  (Read 4279 times)

JohnnyD

• View Profile
Bounties
« on: February 26, 2006, 10:28:15 AM »
Need some help

How do I indicate who has purchased a bounty chip.

In our league everyone automatcally receives a bounty chip.  At the end of the tourney a player receives 2pts. for each bounty chip they have.  The winner also gets pts for his own chip.

what would the pt formula be for this.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bounties
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 10:39:57 AM »
Check "Use player bounties" on the Game tab.  Enter the bounty chip cost in the "Bounty chip cost" field.  Check the "Restrict bounties" field if your players aren't required to purchase a bounty chip, and you only want players who have purchased a bounty chip to be able to collect a bounty chip from other players whom they bust out of the tournament.  For any player who does not purchase a bounty chip, simply set the "Bounty amount" to zero in the buy-in dialog.

To award points, use the "nb" and "nbk" variables.  Try "(nb+nbk)*2".  This would give 2 points for each bounty chip they collect, including their own (if they win the tournament and keep their own bounty chip).

If I read your post correctly, it sounds like everyone automatically gets a bounty chip, but you don't pay any additional amount for the chip, and you don't get any "money" for winning the chips, only points.  In this case, I wouldn't even use the bounty chip feature, since it requires an amount paid to get a bounty chip, and awards the amount paid to the collector of the chip.

In this case, you should just use the "nh" variable.  "nh*2" gives two points for every hit a play makes, and since every player has a bounty chip, this would equate to each bounty chip each player collected.  To award the winner of the tournament their own bounty chip, you could add two points to the first place prize.

I believe you could also use a formula like this: "(nh*2) + ((r==1)*2)".  r being the rank, if the player's rank is 1, then (r==1) equates to true, which will be coerced into "1", and when r is not 1, (r==1) equates to false, which will be coerced into "0".  This would give 2 additional points to anyone ranked "1".

OK, I just tried the very last item, with (r==1), and it does not work.  However, a small change will fix this.  So, to award the 2 points for the winner, you'll need to use a first place prize.  I'm making this change now, so this will work for the next version.

JohnnyD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 08:54:12 AM »
Sorry Corey for not getting back sooner to say thanks for the help.

Until the next version I will use nh*2.

I already use n+r-1 how would I add the next formula would it look like this:

n+r-1 (nh*2)

Wait it think it should look like this  (n+r-1) + (nh*2)

thanks again, i have never been any good at this formula stuff
« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 09:23:06 AM by JohnnyD »

daveand5

• View Profile
    • TAPL Designs's Humorous Poker Shirts
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 02:12:19 PM »
strangely ((r==1)*2) equates to 202 points with 19 players and r=1???
i asume the r==1 does not equate to 0 or 1 depending on rank, but rather 101
adding an if statement would be very  helpful, cant you use the c+ or VB math module to evaluate a string? so that any legal math function could be used?
goto www.cafepress.com/tapl for TAPL Design humorous Poker Shirts

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 05:34:22 PM »
Actually, it does allow the compiler to evaluate formulas, both for simplicity and speed, but for a number of reasons, it can't just hand over any old formula to be evaluated.

I'm actually testing a complete change to the formula code.  Makes the code safer, simpler, and more efficient.  And I've added "logt", which is log base 10 (since the log function is actually log base e, which is not what most formulas expect).  And I've added the "if" function.  So, "if(r==1,7,0)" would equal 7 if r equals 1, or 0 if not.  Finally, it also allows the use of other operators, like less-than, greater-than, does-not-equal (!=), etc.  This will be in the next release.

brenner

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 11:00:55 AM »
Not sure if this should have been a separate thread, but since it is bounty related, I thought I would post it here.

We have a "winner take-all" side bet bounty where only those players that have purchased the side bet can win.  The one who outlasts all those that bought the side bet wins all of the side bet money.  Is it possible to do this through TD? 
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 11:28:48 AM »
Not sure if this should have been a separate thread, but since it is bounty related, I thought I would post it here.

We have a "winner take-all" side bet bounty where only those players that have purchased the side bet can win.  The one who outlasts all those that bought the side bet wins all of the side bet money.  Is it possible to do this through TD? 

You would have to manually do this.  For each player who participates in the side-bet, increase their buy-in by the side-bet amount when you buy each player in.  Then create a prize that is a fixed amount, and set it to the side-bet amount (which you'll have to figure manually), and set the Recipient to be manual.  Then you'll have to award the prize manually by setting the Recipient override once the winner has been determined.

The reason you would go through the manual steps to include this in the TD (as opposed to just doing it 100% manually) is to (a) have the prize displayed in the prizes list and (b) include the winnings and cost in the participants' stats.

Crimson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 10:29:08 PM »
I'm confused -- this may not be the best thread to do this in, but I am trying to figure out how these bounties work. For my tournament, we have an optional $1 buy-in and whoever takes out the last week's winner wins that pot. If you do 1 chip per player, wouldn't the winner always end up with all the chips in the end??

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2006, 01:25:47 PM »
I'm confused -- this may not be the best thread to do this in, but I am trying to figure out how these bounties work. For my tournament, we have an optional $1 buy-in and whoever takes out the last week's winner wins that pot. If you do 1 chip per player, wouldn't the winner always end up with all the chips in the end??

Don't confuse a bounty "chip" with the chips used in the tournament.  A bounty chip is really just a token of some sort given to a player when they buy-in.  When they bust out, they must hand the bounty "chip" over to the player who busted them out.  Then, at the end of the tournament, players turn in their bounty chips to collect the fee associated with them.  This type of variation tends to encourage players to work harder to bust other players out.  A player can win money overall in a tournament without placing in the prizes.