Author Topic: Magnetic card reader  (Read 1959 times)

Club Poker

• View Profile
Magnetic card reader
« on: September 16, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
Can anyone assist me by showing me how this software can be made to read from a VIP Club card, allowing the pit to swipe the card finding the customers information and registering them in tournaments of there choice. I have heard that there is a system out there that will pull the information from the new customers ID through some kind of scanning process.

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Re: Magnetic card reader
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:32:25 PM »
My club uses a magnetic card reader. The only software we use is provided with our card reader. The software isn't needed though. We use it to help clean up the data sent to TD. Our member numbers are actual numbers from 1 up to our current member number. The raw data from the card liioks something like this : %0007822? for the member number 7822. The software only removes the extra characters.
The software provided with our card reader will also allow us to program a 'preamble'. A character sent to TD before it reads the data. Why would we use this? We program a hotkey in TD to open up the Add Players Dialog. The Auto-Perform check box is ticked. In our card reader setup, we program the same character as the hotkey as a  preamble. Now, when we swipe a card, the add player dialog automatically opens up, searches for the player, adds the player (and in our case) buys-in the player, prints a receipt and speeds up registration.
if you need any more help, reply back
Jody
www.jodystacey.com

Club Poker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:27:47 PM »
Thank you for your help, I am new at this and am trying to find a software that will suit my needs, I really like the idea of a VIP Card, to speed up registration. There is Genesis but that software is very expensive. Please keep in touch

I don't yet understand all this but I need too.

Thanks
Michael

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
My club is equipped with genesis and I convinced my bosses to drop Tournament Watch (genesis' tournament clock) for TD2. TD is far superior. You are very limited with what Genesis provides for tournaments. Their live table setup is very good though. Find the brand of your card reader and go to their website and they should have a dowload for your reader to allow you to customize is to your needs.

Club Poker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 02:22:24 PM »
Thank you very much. Can you recommend a card reader system? or maybe a link?

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 03:11:23 PM »
ID MagSwip Mini Swipe is what we use. I also used MagTek with Genesis but it won't work on TD and I didn't care for it. MagSwipe is pretty programmable, where the magtek wasn't that flexible. I believe we pais less than $100 CDN with shipping (I am in Canada so shipping wasn't much.
Here's the link
http://www.idtechproducts.com/products/swipe-readerwriters/24.html

Club Poker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 03:24:44 PM »
Thanks again, what do you think of these? http://www.card-reader.com/

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
My knowledge of card readers is limited to the two I use. Maybe somebody else on the forum with more experience in card readers can pitch in...sorry

Club Poker

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 05:51:15 PM »
I need a way to code the cards and then read them?

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 07:19:52 PM »
Now you're talking expensive. You will need a printer that will encode the cards. They are not cheap, in the several hundred to thousand dollar range. Here's one page with printers. Don't just look here...browse http://www.safecardid.com/datacard-printer.html