Author Topic: Future directions  (Read 12710 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Future directions
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:31:21 AM »
Not yet - it's still on the list.

Mecheng

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 11:02:49 AM »
Big vote for the Clock/Game/Tournament screen enhancements. I’ve been experimenting with using a computer monitor as an extended screen through the VGA port on both my laptop and desk top computers. I’ve not been able to display the Clock/Game/Tournament screen on the extended screen or both screens at the same time. I can make either the lap top or the second screen the primary screen 

I’d like to be able to show the Clock/Game/Tournament screen on the extended screen or preferably both the extended and lop top screens and the settings screen and dialogue boxes would come up on the lap top for maintenance and tracking the tournament. If I can do either of these now, please advise how?

Great Program – thanks for the time and consideration.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2009, 10:30:58 AM »
You can do these now.  Starting at version 2.5, the Settings screen was separated from the main window, and now opens in its own window.  So there is a "Game Window", that displays the tournament screen and various other screens, and a "Settings Window" that opens and closes independently of the Game Window.  You should be able to put the Game Window on your extended display, and leave the Settings Window on your laptop display.  There are preferences on the Preferences tab for controlling how and where dialog boxes open.

Mecheng

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »
I am runningTD Ver. 2.5.8 amd XP Pro with the latest updates on both my lap top (Dell D630)  and desk top (HP dc5750). I've tried various configurations using on both computers using computer monitors and TV's as the extended dispklay and I get the same results. First, I go to the "Preferences Tab" and the "Extended display" button.  When I try to move the game window, either manually or with the move button, the game window disapears. The only way I've been able to make it work is to make the "Extended Screen" the #1 or primary screen and then I have to drag the settings screen and dialogue boxes to the other screen. What am I missing?

Also, how would you program an event to start 30 seconds before the clock starts at the begining of the tournament?

Thanks, keep up the good work with a great program.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2009, 10:50:32 AM »
I have to manually move it to the extended display, and just before its all the way over, I need to manually resize the window, and it then appears on the 2nd monitor. Works for me though, so never worried about it.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2009, 10:59:44 AM »
Here's the skinny on how extended screens work.  I recently explained this to someone in an email support request - so forgive me if that happens to be you.

Assume your screen is a typical 1280x1024 size, for the sake of this example.  That means your screen is 1280 pixels wide and 1024 pixels tall.  The screen is a coordinate system described by (x,y) where x is the horizontal pixel number and y is the vertical pixel number. The coordinates start at the top-left with (0,0).  So in this example the bottom-right corner would be (1279, 1023).  This, however, isn't the entire desktop.  The entire desktop is actually very big, something like 65536x65536.  Your "display" is more like a "viewport" onto the entire desktop.  You can only see a certain section of the entire desktop at any time - however big your physical display is (1280x1024 in this case).  And it's always positioned at coordinates (0,0).  If you start at (0,0) and go one left and one up, you're at (-1,-1), which is a perfectly valid desktop location.  Likewise, from the bottom-right you can go right 1 and down 1 to arrive at (1280, 1024).

This is all most applications know, and definitely all the TD knows.  It knows you have this giant sized desktop, that your display size is 1280x1024, and it is positioned at (0,0).  If you have a second display configured to be to the right of the main display, then really you've got a second "viewport" onto the entire desktop.  It's top-left coordinate would be (1280,0).  But the TD has to be configured to know this - it can't detect it.

To open dialogs only on the "main" display, the TD must simply position the dialog within the center of the (0,0) to (1279, 1023) coordinates.  That's all it can do.

What this means is that it is up to you to (a) configure your extended display properly within Windows, and (b) correctly explain to the TD how you've got it setup.  This is unfortunate in that it would certainly be easier to have the TD figure all of this out by itself and save some people some configuration headaches, but it just doesn't have access to that sort of information.

So here's what I would do.  Configure things the way they "should be".  That is, configure your extended display to be to the "right" of the main screen (so if you move your mouse off of the right side of the main display it ends up on the left side of the extended display).  Start the TD in window mode (Preferences -> Miscellaneous -> uncheck "Full screen mode").  That way you can use the mouse to drag the Game window like you can most other windows.  Open the "Extended Display" dialog (in the TD).  Note in the Game Window section at the bottom, where you move around the Game window, it also shows the Game window's current coordinates (at least where the TD thinks it is located).  Move the Game window around, to the extended display and back.  Use the "Move to Main Display" and "Move to Extended Display" and "Manually Move Game Window" buttons to do this, or close the Extended Display dialog and the Settings window and move it by dragging with your mouse if you need to.  Note the coordinates each time.  Make sure that your "main" display has coordinates starting with (0,0) in the top-left corner and your "extended" display has coordinates that would place it just to the right of the main display.

Then make sure you've configured the TD's extended display settings appropriately.  Let us know what you find out.

Mecheng

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2009, 11:18:19 AM »
Corry, Thanks it worked fiine and I always knew the easy way was to minimize the game screen to be able to drag and drop it onto the extended screen. I totally missed the full screen box on the preferences tab.

Thanks again.

How about the second question about starting an event 30 seconds befort the start of the tournament?

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2009, 11:28:48 AM »
Really keen for an ad-hoc break.

But have been using the hand timer.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »
Sorry, forgot the 2nd question.

To be able to fire an event 30 seconds before the start of the tournament, the TD must know when the tournament will start, and therefore you've got to start a pre-tournament countdown.

On the Events tab:

• press the New Event button
  • select Choose a pre-defined event:
  • select the Countdown end warning event, press OK
  • change the Conditions to
    (state = 1) and (secondsLeft = 30)
  • add your action(s) to the event
  • press OK to create the event

I would move the new event to the top of the list to make sure some other event doesn't override it and get fired instead at the 30-second mark.  Since the Conditions of this event specify the countdown (state=1), it won't fire during the tournament, so no chance it will in turn override some other event.  So.... definitely move it to the top of the list.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2009, 02:03:19 PM »
Ad-hoc break is on the list (and has been for some time).  Because of the number of requests, it has moved up, and should make it into the next planned release.  There's still a good amount of work to be done on that release, however...

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2009, 07:19:16 PM »
Thanks Corey.