Author Topic: Multiple tournament bonus points formula  (Read 2785 times)

AK_in_OR

• View Profile
Multiple tournament bonus points formula
« on: December 17, 2007, 01:08:30 AM »
HI,

I'm trying to set up a formula for a scale of points to reward people that play in multiple tournaments.
I do not use rebuys, so no one will show more than one buy-in per tournament, but not everyone is on the same amount of tournaments either.
Currently, each buy in is worth 10 pts automatically.
I have the 10pts for a buy-in set in the game tab, no problem.
I also have the final table rec'g extra points for their place finish, and the Hits and Bounty scores all add up great for each tournament.

I'd like to make their 2nd buy-in (tournament) worth 10 extra, 3rd worth 20 extra, etc.

How can I get a persons Tournament Score to reflect all those points mentioned above, and then add up their # of Tournaments played bonus too?

I've been keeping track manually for now, but was hoping you could help me make it automatic in their Seasons Total or something.
I'd like to be able to update the STATS tab right after we finish and get a season point total with this included.

Thank You in advance.
Love the software!

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: Multiple tournament bonus points formula
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 09:13:37 AM »
If you keep the 10 points extra for each buy in for an individual tourney then add:

Go to the stats filter and in one of the overall scores forumla places use this formula:

sum(scores)+((count(scores)-1)*10)

Then don't forget to show that overall score column in your stats page.

should give you what you want as it sums up all the scores for an individual and then adds an extra 10 points for each tournament after the first one entered.

Try it out.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 09:17:57 AM »
actually, that formula is wrong I think now that I reread your post.

You want to give a total bonus of:

1 tourney (just the 10 points for playing you would normally give)
2, extra 10 points beyond the 10 points for playing
3, extra 30 points (10 for second, 20 for 3rd) ?
4, extra 60 points (10 for second, 20 for 3rd, 30 for 4th)?
5, extra 100 points (10 for 2nd, 20 for 3rd, 30 for 4th, 40 for 5th)?

Is that what you want?

The one I give you above is:

1 tourney (just 10 points for playing)
2, extra 10 beyond points for playing
3, extra 20
4, extra 30
5, extra 40  etc.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 09:20:27 AM by tandemrx »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 11:59:59 AM »
I got the impression AK_in_OR was referring to your updated evaluation (10 for the second tourney + 20 for the third + 30 for the fourth, etc).  Computing this type of sequence is simple in a programming language, but not so easy in a simple formula.  There's no built-in function to do this for you, but one could be added.  In the meantime, you'd have to compute it using pre-determined values.  I'd do it like this:

sum(scores) + (switch(count(scores) - 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3, 6, 4, 10, 5, 15, 6, 21, 7, 28, 8, 36, 9, 45, 10, 55, 11, 66, 12, 78, 13, 91, 14, 105, 15, 120) * 10)

That allows for up to 15 tournaments played.  Any more and you'll have to add additional values to the switch() function.

brunobus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 09:27:03 PM »
What about doing some nested if statements?

if(count(scores)=1,sum(scores),if(count(scores)=2,sum(scores)+10,if(count(scores)=3,sum(scores)+20,if(count(scores)=4,sum(scores)+30,...)))

AK_in_OR

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 09:35:19 PM »
Hey...

Yes, the updated evaluation and what Corey has posted, are what I'm thinking.
Each tourney is worth 10 pts.  An Individuals 2nd tourney is worth the 10 + 10, 3rd is 10 + 20, 4th is 10 + 30, etc.

I've plugged in Coreys formula in the Overall Scores Formulas, and this column shows the correct bonus points, but now I need to get them to add together with total tournament points.

Can I get them to add up in another column?

I'm sorry guys. I'm not going to freak if I can't get it to work automatically. I do appreciate your replies though.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 12:40:36 AM »
Corey's formula should do that for you.

The first part sum(scores) is the total of all tournament points.

The "switch" part is the part for the bonuses.

Brunobus - Corey's formula essentially acts like a nested if statement - it just kinda shortens it.  The nested if would still require building it out for a specified number of tourneys, which isn't a problem as I bet that AK_in_OR isn't going to have a league of more than 15 tourneys.  If he did, then the only  people that would be in competition would be those who made almost every tourney because you are going to get some 150 points for that 15th tourney just for showing up - probably a lot more than what the tourney winner will get as his base points ( :-\)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 10:02:57 AM »
Right.  If you are awarding Points to players in each tournament, then set your Tournament Score formula to "points".  That will assign a score to each player for each tournament, with the score being equal to the Points the player earned in the tournament.  As tandemrx said, the first part "sum(scores)" will add those up, and the remaining part of the formula adds the bonus points.