Author Topic: Desperate Need of Tournament Scoring Formula  (Read 2797 times)

bfcadmin

• View Profile
    • Fight Club
Desperate Need of Tournament Scoring Formula
« on: January 11, 2009, 09:35:40 AM »
It seems that the Game tab won't allow for what I need. Here's what I want to do (and I don't think I understand the formulas well enough on my own, so need one).

I need a formula for a league event as follows:
Buy-In = 50 pts
Re-Buy = -5 pts
Hit/Kill = 10 pts
Final Table = 10 pts
In The Money = 10 pts
1st = 100 pts
2nd = 50 pts
3rd = 25 pts
4th = 10

Will this formula go on the Game tab or on the Tournament Scoring? maybe I need two formulas, not sure. Really appreciate the help as last nights game out all disconbobulated (sp?).

Scott
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 09:45:58 AM by bfcadmin »

tandemrx

• View Profile
Re: Desperate Need of Tournament Scoring Formula
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:08:24 AM »
it helps to tell us what you mean by "in the money"  . . . . in other words, what places are you giving monetary prizes for and does this change based on field size?

also, how do you determine "final table" (how many at final table and is this always the same?)

bfcadmin

• View Profile
    • Fight Club
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 10:17:04 AM »
It helps to tell us what you mean by "in the money"  . . . . in other words, what places are you giving monetary prizes for and does this change based on field size?

In the money is the final four finishers of a 19 person field and final five of a 20 person field

also, how do you determine "final table" (how many at final table and is this always the same?)

Final Table will be the last ten standing and will be the same throughout the series

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »
what if you start out with 9 people?  is everyone final table and still 4 places given?

bfcadmin

• View Profile
    • Fight Club
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 10:21:27 AM »
what if you start out with 9 people?  is everyone final table and still 4 places given?

Yes, everyone is FT, no, places paid are s follows:
* 5-6 players. 70%, 30%
* 7-9 players. 50%, 30%, 20%
* 10-18 players. 46%, 27%, 17%, 10%
* 19-27 players. 42%, 25%, 15%, 10%, 8%
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:23:53 AM by bfcadmin »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2009, 02:20:54 PM »
The formula can be used in the Points for Playing field or in the Tournament Scoring field on the Stats tab.  If you are just summing points from tournament to tournament, just put it in the Points for Playing field and then let the Stats add it up automatically for you.  Put it in the Tournament Scoring field if you think you'll change it halfway through the season (and want the change to affect already run tournaments), or if you wish to do something more elaborate, like drop the highest and lowest tournaments, etc.

50 - (nr * 5) + (nh * 10) + (finalTable * 10) + (inTheMoney * 10) + switch(r, 1, 100, 2, 50, 3, 25, 4,10)

bfcadmin

• View Profile
    • Fight Club
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 03:33:09 PM »

Corey, thank you for the quick response. I can't tell you how much we enjoy this program. Now if any of us had half a brain. Oh well.

So I ran your formula in both fields at the same time, and got the following results:

using in both TS & PFP I got Points and they carried over to OverAll Score also
in Tournaments Scoring alone they went to OverAll Score with no points assigned to the points column
in Points for Playing the points were assigned to the Points column with no OverAll Score

Is this correct functionality? I like #1 result I think, except that I was expecting a different scoring, but it makes sense it's the same as I took any previous formula out. Regardless the points ended up as they were expected to. Is there a Scoring formula I can add that would render some other Score than the total points accumulated?

Thanks again, this was huge.

Scott
Fight Club

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 05:08:57 PM »
The Points for Playing and Tournament Scoring formulas are essentially the same thing (they are formulas with access to the same data).  The difference is one is applied as part of a tournament (it is saved with the tournament itself) and affects a player's "Points"; the other is applied during Stats calculation.  Since Points for Playing is saved as part of the tournament, it can be different from tournament to tournament.  Tournament Scoring is applied during Stats calculation and thus will be the same for every tournament over which you run Stats.

See my response in this topic for more details: http://thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=1609.0

bfcadmin

• View Profile
    • Fight Club
Resolved : Desperate Need of Tournament Scoring Formula
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »
Got it! ;D