Author Topic: Non-standard prize pool  (Read 1698 times)

The Meal

• View Profile
Non-standard prize pool
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:31:15 AM »
Background: We generally have one table of participants of widely-varying experience in our monthly weekend home game, and as such I tend to run two tournaments, one as a "warm up" designed to last roughly half the amount of time of the evening's main event.

I'm thinking of changing this warm-up tournament to something else entirely.

Something Else Entirely: Let n represent the total number of players who bought into the tournament.  When the tournament is down to n/2 remaining players (in the case of an even n) or (n+1)/2 (in the case of an odd n), the tournament ends.  Each remaining player then receives prize money consisting of a) the amount of one tournament buy-in, and b) the remaining prize pool distributed by outstanding chip percentage.

By way of example: Say 10 players each buy in for $10 a piece gaining T500 chips apiece.  There are no rebuys.  At the moment the sixth place player is determined the tournament would stop, each of the remaining 5 players would get $10 (one buy-in amount) + $50 x their percentage of total chips in play.  If one player had T2000 chips, one with T1200, one with T800, and two with T500, then the total payments would come to $30, $22, $18, $15, and $15.

My question: How to set this prize distribution up in TD3?

I see the new chop rules can incorporate prize distribution based on remaining chips, but I failed at taking advantage of that when I was monkeying around with trying to set something up.  I'm guessing that I'd have to take advantage of the points system (then manually convert points into dollars, which I'm fine with).  My real motivation is to avoid having to pull out a calculator (or spreadsheet software) to generate the prize pool.

Has anyone done anything like this?  Has anyone considered this then rejected it?

Thanks in advance,
~Neal

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Non-standard prize pool
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 10:37:28 AM »
Chopping once you hit 5 players seems like it would do the trick.  Just create a single 1st place prize consisting of 100% of the prize pool.  When you hit 5 players, press Ctrl+C to chop.  Everyone will be chopping the 1st place prize.  Enter each player's chip count and the chop dialog should calculate payouts for you.

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »
Thanks for the response, Corey.

That would work if I wanted the prize pool to be 100% distributed by chip allocation.  However, I want to ensure that each player receives their buy-in back, then distribute the remaining prize pool by chip standings.  Am I missing a simple way to incorporate that?  (Heck, am I missing a complicated way?  I'm willing to get dirty to try to make this work.  I've already got a custom xml file for Suggesting my "standard" prize distributions each time I set up a new tournament, so would be capable of modifying a configuration file if it would be required.)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 11:51:04 AM »
That's actually an item already on the to-do list.  There isn't a way for the software to do it automatically (at present).  You'd have to get busy with your own calculator.

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 02:16:47 PM »
That's actually an item already on the to-do list.  There isn't a way for the software to do it automatically (at present).  You'd have to get busy with your own calculator.
Alright, thanks for the confirmation.  "Keeping the calculator put away," is code for not drinking so many bottles of suds. :)

Good luck with everything and thanks for all you do.

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
Thanks for the response, Corey.

That would work if I wanted the prize pool to be 100% distributed by chip allocation.  However, I want to ensure that each player receives their buy-in back, then distribute the remaining prize pool by chip standings.  Am I missing a simple way to incorporate that?  (Heck, am I missing a complicated way?  I'm willing to get dirty to try to make this work.  I've already got a custom xml file for Suggesting my "standard" prize distributions each time I set up a new tournament, so would be capable of modifying a configuration file if it would be required.)

Could you post your custom XML file for me to look at Meal, please
cheers