Author Topic: Understanding moving players  (Read 2349 times)

fiveonomo

• View Profile
Understanding moving players
« on: February 22, 2009, 09:23:22 PM »
Hey all, how's it going?  I used the TD software at our second tournament last night and the program is great.  I do have a question in reference moving players.  I have always played with a group of friends and have never decided to get serious until this year.  We usually had 5 or 6 players and did whatever.  This year I started a leaugue and we have grown to two tables last night, supposed to have been 13 but ended up with 11 players.  We still needed the second table.  We began play and when a player was busted out of table two it wanted to move a player from table 1 in to the table two spot.  We did and from some of the less serious players (1 or 2) it pissed them off.  My question is when am I supposed to move the player or players?  When i busted out the player the TD suggested a move from table 1 to table 2 where the player had just been busted out.  I waited for them to end the hand they were playing and then had the player move.  That player moved to the new seat at table 2 and was busted out a hand or to later.  He got upset and felt that it was because of the move.  Did I move this player correctly?  Do you wait to the end of the round?  Is it appropriate to move the players when the TD suggest it?  Lets say the TD recomends two tables become one because we have lost players and we are down to eight players left at two 9 person tables.  When it moves everyone into one table does it assign a new seat position and is the blinds and button and everything taken into account?  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks, Scott.

badbeat

• View Profile
Re: Understanding moving players
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 02:26:40 AM »
You moved the player at the right time. You can't move them at the end of the round, because if you've just started a new round, your tables would be unbalanced for all that time and it would be unfair on the smaller table. If you are going to move a player to balance the tables, it is best to keep the player's relative position the same. (eg. if you need a big blind, move the BB from the other table) TD won't do this for you unless you set the dealer buttons before table balancing.
There is a check box for final table seating, (not sure whether it's auto checked or not), TD will then randomize the final table for you, so the dealer button will be set at seat 1, but with players' seat positions changing it is, in effect, ranomized.
If you have time, try some mock tourneys to see how the software works, so that you know how things will be done and you can explain to your players what will happen, in advance.

fiveonomo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 06:27:22 AM »
Thanks badbeat, i really appreciate you taking the time to answer that.  I have run a few mock tourneys and just when I think there are no suprises....surprise.  Anyway, it would appear I need to run some more mock tourney's.  I am glad I moved the player at the right time.  Thanks again for your help.  Scott

badbeat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 07:22:03 AM »
No problem, I find that if you can explain/warn your players of the procedures before they happen, you get less moaning and groaning. It doesn't always work, but it's nice when everything runs smoothly, just because you took a couple of minutes to explain something before it happens in a game.

As for the player who was knocked out after moving, then if he's going to rush things, before getting the feel of the new table, then that's just poor play and you copped it, for his frustration.

The main thing to remember is to try to keep their position in relation to the button, so they don't pay two lots of blinds, one after the other. It may happen when you merge for the final table, but I find if you have a short break before restarting play, they realise it's just bad luck and next time they may go from just before the BB, to just after.