Author Topic: Pause when the countdown reaches zero?  (Read 2812 times)

wbtczn

• View Profile
Pause when the countdown reaches zero?
« on: November 15, 2008, 02:12:58 PM »
Is there a way to stop the timers between the time the countdown runs down and round one starts?  We usually have a couple of minutes of getting everybody seated after the countdown ends.

Phaze

• View Profile
Re: Pause when the countdown reaches zero?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:32:40 AM »
yeah you can, it would in the preferences tab I believe

wbtczn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 12:58:45 AM »
I see being able to pause the clock at the end of breaks, but not the countdown. 

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:03:30 PM »
Create an event to do it.  New event, select "Choose a pre-defined event", select "Countdown End".  On the New Event dialog, keep the action that plays the Final sound if you want (or delete it or change the sound file it plays).  Add a new Action that pauses the clock.  Once created, move this event to the top of your events list so it won't get overridden by another event that does something when the clock hits zero on a round or break.

wbtczn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 08:21:26 PM »
I'll give it a shot -- thanks!

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:54:17 AM »
Im tried this but when using the "time til start" it pauses, then when you say start tournamsnt, it starts counting the countdown time again.

If you use the tourney starts at a certain time, it starts counting up when it reaches zero for some reason.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:48:25 AM »
When a countdown expires, there is a delay before the tournament starts, just like the one between rounds.  By default it is 4 seconds, but you can change this on the Preferences tab.

So, what is actually happening is the clock is pausing at 0 seconds left in the countdown.  Until that 4-second delay passes, the tournament hasn't started, and technically it's still in the countdown period.  So when you start the clock again (unpause the clock), the 4-second delay commences (again, technically it's still in the countdown period) and when it's done, the tournament starts.  This is when the "Countdown a specific length of time" option is selected.  So this is really working as designed.

Now, when you select "Countdown until a specific time of day", that's a little more interesting.  In this mode, you can't "pause" the countdown clock, because, well, that just doesn't make sense.  You're counting down to a specific time, and you can't pause real time, so the countdown clock will continue to tick whether or not you chose to pause it or not.  The software doesn't allow you to pause the clock during this type of countdown, but the event is overriding this (making this a bug).  The clock reflects this in that the countdown time begins to count up (because you've passed the time of day that it was supposed to end).  Since the clock is effectively "paused", the tournament never begins, and since you can't use the spacebar (or other hotkey) to toggle the clock in this type of countdown, you can't start the tournament that way.  You CAN start the tournament by pressing the "Start Tournament" button on the Controls tab.

I'm not really sure how to handle this.  I suppose the event code might have to be much smarter and see that the event is attempting to pause the clock during a TOD countdown, and that the countdown is at 0 (in essence), so it should start the tournament and then pause the clock.  Maybe.  Have to give this some thought.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »
it should start the tournament and then pause the clock.  Maybe.  Have to give this some thought.

That would be ideal.

We want to start the tournament at a specified time each day, but logistically it doesnt happen often.

The countdown clock gets people in the room on time, but it doesn't get them seated ready to go. Sometimes we have a line up for rego at start time, so we like to register these players before we start. So a pause there is essential.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

William

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 04:38:13 AM »
How would you set a condition for an event during the Countdown Timer?

Let's say I want to start the tournament at 18:00 (6 P.M.) and want a warning sound 3 minutes before the start of the tournament?

I know I should be using secondsLeft=180, but what state is the tournament timer in at that point?
Do I use "clock ticks" in combinatination with roundNum=-1 or level=-1 or state=-1 or something and secondsLeft=180?

Or do I use "The Tournament Starts" in combination with secondsLeft=180 (to me logically doesn't make sense)?

William

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 11:40:06 AM »
Of course I should have read the other posts before making my own.

Figured out the following:
State=1 :: Pre-tournament countdown
State=2 :: Tournament
isRound=1 :: Playing round
isRound=0 :: Break

So the solution to my problem:
state=1 and secondsleft=180