Author Topic: with in the law holdem game  (Read 4025 times)

Liteman

• View Profile
with in the law holdem game
« on: January 02, 2007, 06:20:24 PM »
 I live in a state where you can not legally play cards for money :-\. So Instead of playing for money we all bring a $10 scratch off lottery ticket (our states only legal way to gamble ...because they reap the benefits :D) and so far its working out Great. Pretty neat when the guy that comes in third wins $500 and the guy that came in first wins $50 and 3 tickets.
Pay outs are based on the number of players, and  I limit my games to 24 players. 3 tables of 8 till we reach 10 then we merge to 1 table.
example of pay outs is as follows
Pl    1st     2nd     3rd      4th
10    10       0       0         0
11    10       1       0         0
12    10       2       0         0
13    10       3       0         0
14    10       4       0         0
15    11       4       0         0
16    11       4       1         0
17    11       4       2         0
18    11       4       3         0
19    12       4       3         0
20    12       5       3         0
21    12       5       3         1
22    12       5       3         2
23    13       5       3         2
24    14       5       3         2

Not sure if it would hold up in court and I hope it don't come to that, After all we are helping the state sale those over priced lottery tickets ::)

MooseWizard

• View Profile
    • Louisville Poker Society
Re: with in the law holdem game
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 11:40:49 AM »
Neat idea.  I may incorporate this idea as a 'bonus' game for my league this year, but I'll probably do it as a "money-added" game so that winners are guaranteed at least some cash.

Thanks for sharing!

The man, the myth, the moose!

PTL

• View Profile
    • Poker League
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:54:34 AM »
Very Neat Idea.  I sure hope the Government figures out a way to make billions off the Poker Industry or we will all be doomed before long.
The Best User Driven Poker Site, where you can find Poker Games in your area and get the latest Poker Strategy.

OutOfCrown

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:58:27 AM »
I live in a state where you can not legally play cards for money :-\. So Instead of playing for money we all bring a $10 scratch off lottery ticket ... Not sure if it would hold up in court

Unlikely. I don't know which state you are in and what the law says, but most likely it refers to gambling "for value" as opposed to "for money". Lottery tickets have value, so you are stlil violating the law.

Any even if it referenced money specifically, the court -- despite what you see on TV shows -- isn't stupid and doesn't generally like being treated as such (hey, it's not money, see, they are lottery tickets! ... that argument is going to be thrown out for being, well, ummm, stupid).

It's still a cool idea, but I wouldn't pin my hopes on it being legal (if playing cards for money is illegal as you say)

koolaid79

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:04:38 AM »
if you live in a state where poker is free to play at a bar, and you are doing this, it is not legal because you are requiring players to buy-in. Also in my lovely state, I have stared at all statues dealing with texas hold em and gambling. I  view it that texas hold em is a social game of skill and that betting amongst other players is not considered gambling if you are playing in a tournament. Betting is an actual part of the game. You can not play texas hold em the correct way without betting.

Anyways, we play free poker where the bar pays out prizes but the law states that the bar cannot give out more than 200 dollars and they cannot charge an entry or make players compensate the bar/club in any way. But the law states nothing about offering an option to buy in a side pot whilestill offering the free poker.......Side pot players would just be playing against the free players.

I beleive the cards and chips part is gambling, but is it still gambling when the chips have no value? And is it gambling when you bet on yourself to win the tournament? I beleive every contest in todays world cost some kind of money to enter and is rewarded with a prize that has value. I don't think this arguement would be the same for any game other than tournament poker.

MooseWizard

• View Profile
    • Louisville Poker Society
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 11:44:47 AM »
Just to post a follow-up, our league ran a lottery ticket game last month as a special non-scored tournament.  We only had 16 players because of the timing (most people thought it was a fun idea).  Each player bought in $10 in cash and $10 in KY scratch of lottery tickets.  That gave us a prize pool of $260 (the club contributed $100) and $160 in scratch-off tickets.  Unfortunatly, at the end of a lengthly scratching session, the winner of the tickets added just $35 to his cash winnings. 

All it all, it was still a lot of fun, and we may do it again next year.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 10:34:20 PM by MooseWizard »
The man, the myth, the moose!