Author Topic: Potential Bug?  (Read 2517 times)

Scotty K

• View Profile
Potential Bug?
« on: November 15, 2011, 02:40:45 PM »
Hi Corey.

I've just experienced something that I think you should be aware of; perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

I was just reading Timmer's last topic entitled, "Is this new?", and he mentioned something about the ability to add background on the player rankings and blinds pages, etc.  Me, being a curious sort, thought that I would check it out.  I went over to the Player Rankings page, right clicked and selected "Properties".  Not only did the properties not show up, but I now could not navigate away from that screen.  I also could no longer right click, or call up the settings.  So for all intents and purposes, the program kinda froze.  The only way that I could shut it down was to close the program through Windows on the bottom of the screen ("Close window").

Also, when I shut TD down and restarted it, I went to the Layout tab, clicked Properties, and the same thing happened.  This time, I got an error message:

'this.getElement(...)' is null or not an object (LayoutTab, SeatingChartPage: 1)
 at openDialog(SettingsDialog)
 at SettingsDialog.openDialog()
 at SettingsDialog.enterTab()
 at Hotkey.handleCommonHotkeyActions(Hotkey.Binding)
 at GameWindow.hotkey()
 at GameWindow.hotkeyHandler()

Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer
Browser Beta: false
Browser Client Info Version: 7.0
Browser Code Name: Mozilla
Browser Decided Version: 9.0
Browser Detected Version: 9.0
Browser Language: en-US
Browser Minor Version: 0
Browser Version: 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)
Cookies Enabled: true
CPU Class: x86
Data Folder: C:\Users\Kohrherr Family\Documents\The Tournament Director 2
Date: 3:37:29 pm 11/15/2011
DB File: C:\Users\Kohrherr Family\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\db\td.db
DB Folder: C:\Users\Kohrherr Family\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\db
Install Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Tournament Director 3
Install Info: 812ea7628997fa059c5be936c0ddd633ab7f39c953f6e1ccfa01769c4255099a8c2cc6e27877777008bad565958876b859747d8f73909e06a6a405a222a35452633c6db6e4ca4f94
JScript Build: 16982
JScript Version: 5.8
License Info: VdumPjiH7lQsBi5KQcMYs51GTOloc1/VNv9SN7uDUl1SjC9Zc/bhp8yzafiBgkETtX7KssBYmqrpMgvN533JJvzXBaEs8nw/il7CbY6d+CY=
Media Player Version: 12.0.7601.17514
Online: true
Platform: Win32
Preferences File: C:\Users\Kohrherr Family\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\prefs.sav
Repo Config File: C:\Users\Kohrherr Family\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\repo.sav
Repo Folder: C:\Users\Kohrherr Family\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data
System Language: en-US
TD Patch Level: 7
TD Version: 3.0
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/5.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; .NET4.0C)
User Language: en-US

After this happened, I could no longer launch TD, and would now need to reboot my computer to get it to run again.

Any thoughts?

Update:  This seems to be happening on any screen when I right click and try to go to that item's properties.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 02:42:54 PM by Scotty K »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Bug?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 03:03:11 PM »
I've been seeing this error automatically reported, but have thus far had no context, so I don't know when or where it is occurring.

Of course the Properties dialogs work for me and I'm sure for most people.  Does this happen all the time?  Do you have a specific layout you're using?  If so, could you send it to me?

No idea why the program would freeze (or at least no longer let you control it).  As for being unable to launch it again, I suspect although the window closed, the process was still running in the background.  Since you cannot have more than one copy running, trying to launch it again didn't appear to do anything.  If you experience this again, go to the Task Manager, on the Processes tab and look for the process "mshta.exe" and kill it (end it).

On a good note, the automatic patch feature I added has been wonderful.  So far I've patched 9 bugs and no one has had to download and install anything.  Most people probably haven't even realized there were bugs; they've been fixed before ever running into them.

I'd love to patch this one, too, if only I can figure it out.

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 03:53:55 PM »
Hey Corey; thanks for the prompt reply.

I just tried running everything again, and still the same result.  It even does it on your default layout, and every other layout that I've loaded (of which I have many)...

I also tried your suggestion about launching the Task Manager and ending the program.  While I was able to end TD doing this, I still cannot lauch TD again without doing another reboot.

Sorry I can't be of much more help regarding this.  I'm going to keep messing around with this some more to see what happens.  I'm also going to look into resetting to another restore point and see if that helps.

Ditto on your patch fixes; this is indeed working out great!

Thanks again.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »
Does the same thing happen when you select "Screen Properties" from the context menu when you are viewing the Tournament screen (F2)?

What happens when you press the "Properties" button in the "Screen Controls" section on the Layout tab?

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 04:17:56 PM »
Does the same thing happen when you select "Screen Properties" from the context menu when you are viewing the Tournament screen (F2)?

What happens when you press the "Properties" button in the "Screen Controls" section on the Layout tab?

Yes, it happens on the Tournament screen (and the Player Rankings screen, and the Blinds screen...).

When I press the "Properties" button in the "Screen Controls" section on the Layout tab, the same thing happens as well.  It is when it happens here that the error screen shows up (this is the only instance in which the error screen shows; it doesn't happen when Properties is selected on the context menu.

I just tried an earlier restore point on my comp; no change there.  It still behaves the same way.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 05:31:57 PM »
'this.getElement(...)' is null or not an object (LayoutTab, SeatingChartPage: 1)
 at GameWindow.hotkey()

This is what is making it hard to figure out.  This is a stack trace; it should show the calling of one function and then another until the error occurs, making it easy to trace through the code and find the point of error.  Unfortunately this stack is not correct, as is common with this type of program.  The "1" in the first line is the line number.  That should also help me find it, but it is also [pretty obviously] incorrect as well.  Finally, the error clearly occurs when calling "this.getElement()".  So I could search for that in the code.  Unfortunately it occurs over 2,000 times throughout the program.

Unless I can reproduce it or get a more definitive error message, I'm searching in the dark.  If you learn of anything else, let me know, regardless of how trivial it may seem.  You never know what might help...

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 05:56:44 PM »
With your permission, I'm going to download TD onto another computer that I have; I'd like to see if the same thing happens there, too.  Maybe I can learn something there.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 06:41:36 PM »
 at GameWindow.hotkey()

This is what is making it hard to figure out.  This is a stack trace; it should show the calling of one function and then another until the error occurs, making it easy to trace through the code and find the point of error.  Unfortunately this stack is not correct, as is common with this type of program.  The "1" in the first line is the line number.  That should also help me find it, but it is also [pretty obviously] incorrect as well.  Finally, the error clearly occurs when calling "this.getElement()".  So I could search for that in the code.  Unfortunately it occurs over 2,000 times throughout the program.

Unless I can reproduce it or get a more definitive error message, I'm searching in the dark.  If you learn of anything else, let me know, regardless of how trivial it may seem.  You never know what might help...

I, for one, can attest to that with the mini clock paused during countdown. Kinda surprised my video w/vers. 3 sparked the fix... not sure how, but at least it's fixed :)
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 06:47:17 PM »
OK still trying to go back to different restore points on my comp.  One-by-one, until I go back to the initial install of TD3.  Maybe something happened along the way that affected the way the Screen Settings is behaving.

Happened again, this time with this error message (which is slightly different):

'this.getElement(...)' is null or not an object (LayoutTab, TournamentPage: 1)
 at Bootstrap.init_OpenSettingsDialog()
 at Bootstrap.initSequence()

Don't know if this changes anything, but I thought I should report it anyway.

Downloaded TD3 on my other laptop; it works fine on that one.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 08:10:22 PM »
I, for one, can attest to that with the mini clock paused during countdown. Kinda surprised my video w/vers. 3 sparked the fix... not sure how, but at least it's fixed :)

This one is actually quite common.  Very, very few people tend to relate to technical support everything they are doing when describing an issue.  Even technical people ... even very technical people tend to leave out steps when they describe their actions.  It's just the nature of the way we think.  We tend to assume somewhere in our heads that the person we are talking/writing to can somehow see what we see, so we leave mundane stuff out, usually subconsciously.

In your case, I got to see exactly what you did because of the video.  You never mentioned the auto-resize of the screen before.  And why would you?  It seems unrelated and irrelevant to someone unfamiliar with the code, which everyone but me is.  :)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:17:38 PM »
OK still trying to go back to different restore points on my comp.  One-by-one, until I go back to the initial install of TD3.  Maybe something happened along the way that affected the way the Screen Settings is behaving.

Happened again, this time with this error message (which is slightly different):

'this.getElement(...)' is null or not an object (LayoutTab, TournamentPage: 1)
 at Bootstrap.init_OpenSettingsDialog()
 at Bootstrap.initSequence()

Don't know if this changes anything, but I thought I should report it anyway.

Downloaded TD3 on my other laptop; it works fine on that one.

I doubt it will make a difference, but what happens if you clear the layout (press the New button on the Layout tab and select the option to create a new layout from scratch), and then press the Properties button in the Screen Controls section?

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 09:14:25 PM »
Well, here's what I did do...

I went one-by-one to different restore points on my comp, some successful, some not, until I went prior to the install of TD3.  After that successful restore, naturally I had to reinstall TD3.  When I checked it this time, I can now get to the property screens, and everything now seems to be OK.  I'm sorry I didn't get to try your last suggestion before I did this, however.

Corey, I don't know if you recall, but I did start a thread on November 4 ( http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=3124.msg14689#msg14689 ) in which I was having an periodic script problem involving the printing of receipts.  I did follow your suggestion about Googling the error, which in turn I did find some Microsoft suggestions.  These I tried with no noticible change, but when I went back to it later, the receipt problem disappeared, so I was wondering if a fix that I made may have caused this error I was having with the Properties screens.

I know I'm grasping at straws, but one never knows....

I'm going to have to try printing receipts again and see if that problem has come back again.  At any rate, I'm going to keep my eyes open with this Properties problem to see if conditions make it reoccur.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 11:05:47 PM »

This one is actually quite common.  Very, very few people tend to relate to technical support everything they are doing when describing an issue.  Even technical people ... even very technical people tend to leave out steps when they describe their actions.  It's just the nature of the way we think.  We tend to assume somewhere in our heads that the person we are talking/writing to can somehow see what we see, so we leave mundane stuff out, usually subconsciously.

In your case, I got to see exactly what you did because of the video.  You never mentioned the auto-resize of the screen before.  And why would you?  It seems unrelated and irrelevant to someone unfamiliar with the code, which everyone but me is.  :)

Frankly, I never even thought to look at the auto resize aspect... All I knew was what was happening, and how I was activating the bug :) And, I knew that if it were to happen with TD3, I was going to record it (and erase it had it not shown up) to see if anything else came to light... Just glad that with the videos, it was able resolve that issue.  Scotty, I think like you in that it may be grasping at straws, but when I did my TD3 video of my issue, I was thinking along the same lines... who knows - it may end up being that, but it may not... I think it's definitely worth taking a look at it.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!