Author Topic: Wacky Points Given  (Read 1191 times)

famous58

• View Profile
Wacky Points Given
« on: July 01, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
I'm writing this post away from my copy of TD so bear with me.

I have a formula that I've been using for 4 years. It gives points based on finishing position taking into account the number of players in the tourney. Rebuys are -3 points, hits are +2 points and addons are -1 point. I had a tournament where first and second place were equal in all areas except 2nd place had 4 more knockouts than first (so that's 8 points more). However, for some reason he ended up with 12 more points than first place.

Check out the summary here: http://www.thepokerclubscv.com/summary/2014/2014-02.html

I have no idea what could have caused this. I've never had this issue before. Obviously the point total is wrong. How can I fix it? This is important because I keep a running total and have a free roll tourney at the end of the year. Sometimes less than 1 point separates who gets to play and who doesn't.

famous58

• View Profile
Re: Wacky Points Given
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 10:25:04 PM »
Update: This is my formula

((1.00 - (r / (n + 1.00))) * 100.00 + 4.00) + (nh*2.00) - (nr*3.00) - (na*1.00)

As you can see from the summary, 1st place got 118.15 points (should've had 109) and 2nd got 130.31 (should've had 105). I'm worried that something is going really wrong here. When I run the test formula it works as it should but my actual points are off.

Any help is appreciated!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:30:08 AM »
Can you send me your saved tournament file?  Something does appear wacky based on the tournament history you've posted.  support@thetournamentdirector.net

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:18:28 PM »
Found the issue: you are effectively awarding 4 points for a hit, -6 points for a rebuy, and -2 points for an add-on.  This is because you've configured the "Points for hit" field on the Game tab with "2", Rebuy "points" with "-3" and Add-on "points" with "-1".  But your formula ALSO includes the same values: (nh*2.00) - (nr*3.00) - (na*1.00)

Those fields on the Game tab are basically convenience fields.  If you don't want to hassle with a formula and are awarding points solely on hits, buy-ins, rebuys, and add-ons (or don't want to augment a simple formula to include those), you can do so by simply filling in the fields.

When I set those fields to 0, 1st place gets 109.15 points and 2nd place got 113.31 (you said it should be 105 but I think 113.31 is correct; 2nd place got 4 points less based on his rank but got 4 additional hits, which is 8 more points, so he should have 4 points more than 1st).