Author Topic: FORMULA HELP  (Read 1456 times)

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
FORMULA HELP
« on: September 12, 2012, 01:09:00 AM »
Trying to give players points according to how they finnish in the tournament and how many hits they made. I am using the formula n- r + 1 + nh. However, when I do stats it looks like the program is also giving the player points for any money won according to the prize list.
I have also looked at the prize configuration file but don't see "points" in the file. I have looked at the prizesuggestion file and the autoprize file in the lib folder and while I see "points" they are all equal to 0. Anybody got a suggestion(s)?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: FORMULA HELP
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 09:54:27 AM »
What are your Tournament Score and Overall Score formulas (on the Stats tab on your Filter/Profile)?

Kerry George DeVore

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:30:19 AM »
on "Create Tournament Scores using formula:" I have    points = n - r + 1 + numberOfHits.  On the "Create Overall Scores using formulas:   is blank (empty). I have also tried leaving both fiels blank. No change in outcome.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 12:34:10 AM by Kerry George DeVore »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:32:03 PM »
OK, let's see.

points = n - r + 1 + numberOfHits

Firstly, for any formula you do not actually need to do an assignment.  It doesn't hurt anything, but it's not necessary.  In the case of your Tournament Score formula (above), it is probably a bit confusing because you are not assigning a "points" value to anything (or rather, the formula isn't for creating a "points" value).  Points are assigned in a tournament, and are assigned by settings values in the "Points for buying-in", "Points for hit", "Points for playing", etc, inputs.  Each player will receive a certain amount of points for playing in a tournament, whether or not you have any of those fields filled in (if they're not filled in, each player will receive 0 points).

For Stats, you get a bunch of statistics for "free".  That is, even without creating or setting any formulas in the Tournament Score and Overall Score formulas, the software will still automatically sum up and average a bunch of values for each player, including their Points.  If you want to assign points to players in your tournament (using the formula you specified) and what you care about is the sum of those points over multiple tournaments, you should probably put your formula into the "Points for Playing" formula on the Game tab (for each tournament, and save each tournament after setting the Points for Playing value).  Then just run stats and look at the Points column.  You can remove the front part of the formula, too:

n - r + 1 + numberOfHits

The Tournament Score and Overall Score formulas are available for you to do something else... something the software doesn't anticipate.  Like, for example, dropping high and/or low tournaments.  To do that, you would want to set the Tournament Score formula to:

(if you've set the Points for Playing input to your formula for each tournament).  This will assign a value named "score" to each tournament, and make it equivalent to the points the player earned in the tournament.  Then, you would set one of the Overall Scores formulas to:

sum(top(count(scores) - 2, bottom(count(scores) - 1, scores)))

That would sum the "score" values (which are the points from each tournament), first dropping the highest and lowest values.