Author Topic: Chops - ICM  (Read 3272 times)

Seitz333

• View Profile
Chops - ICM
« on: March 06, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
How about adding an ICM chop option. Most tourneys these days are chopped using the ICM method. It would also be nice if we could chop ranking points this way too.

Chuck
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 10:33:01 AM by Seitz333 »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Chops - ICM
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 11:07:53 AM »
I'll have to look into it.  I guess this would simply be another method available on the Chop dialog.  I don't think it would be too hard to implement, given everyone's chip counts.

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 03:49:31 PM »
Hey Corey do you think it will be possible to add the ICM chop model that will enable us to chop the Points for Playing, not prize points. I know now if you want to change the points awarded for playing you have to do so in the Players tab and use the Edit Game Player window, kind of a pain if you have a multiway chop.

Thanks.

Chuck

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 11:47:52 AM »
I'm not quite sure I understand how this would work.  The prize money comes from a pool that gets divided amongst the chopping players.  But points don't come from a pool.  Each person's points are calculated individually.  There isn't a big pool of points that gets divided up.  How would chopping these work?

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:10:23 PM »
I think the points chop screen would need to pulll some tourney info such as the points for playing formula, number of players in tourney, & number of players left so it can calculate what the default points would be.

Lets say I'm using the following points for playing formula:

10*(SQRT(n/r))-5

34 players in the tourney and when it gets down to the final 4 they want to ICM chop money and points.

Player 1 has 23000 in chips
Player 2 has 25000 in chips
Player 3 has 12000 in chips
Player 4 has 40000 in chips

Based on my points for playing formula, the total base points for the players left are 142.36 (these points do not include any additional points that would be awareded for knockouts, rebuys, or anything else):

1st would normally get 53.31
2nd would normally get 36.23
3rd would normally get 28.67
4th would normally get 24.15

From there you enter in the chip counts and do an ICM chop as normal.

Chuck

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2013, 02:03:02 PM »
I have my points for position of finish on the prizes tab, so if a player chops the money I am sure it gives the option to chop the points if you want.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
I think the points chop screen would need to pulll some tourney info such as the points for playing formula, number of players in tourney, & number of players left so it can calculate what the default points would be.

Lets say I'm using the following points for playing formula:

10*(SQRT(n/r))-5

34 players in the tourney and when it gets down to the final 4 they want to ICM chop money and points.

Player 1 has 23000 in chips
Player 2 has 25000 in chips
Player 3 has 12000 in chips
Player 4 has 40000 in chips

Based on my points for playing formula, the total base points for the players left are 142.36 (these points do not include any additional points that would be awareded for knockouts, rebuys, or anything else):

1st would normally get 53.31
2nd would normally get 36.23
3rd would normally get 28.67
4th would normally get 24.15

From there you enter in the chip counts and do an ICM chop as normal.

Chuck

It's certainly an interesting thought, but I see a couple of issues.  First, you mention that "these points do not include any additional points that would be awareded for knockouts, rebuys, or anything else", but unfortunately a player's points from Points for Playing, Points for Buy-in, Points for Rebuy, Points for Add-on, and points from prizes are not calculated separately (although maybe they should have been).  It's all one big calculation.  A small caveat to be sure.

The other, bigger issue is that the chop feature allows you to rank the players as you see fit (players could receive the same rank, or not).  Since rank is often used to compute points, ranking the players would (could) change the points pool that is chopped.  Points could also be computed by the money a player wins, again making the points pool change based on how the pot is divided.  All of this makes implementation of this feature difficult at best.  It's a difficult issue to solve for a small gain.  I agree it's a good idea, but for the moment I think it might just be best to override the points each player receives (by editing the player).

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2013, 10:03:01 PM »
I understand about the points Corey, no prob. But the ICM money chop is something that would def help.