Author Topic: 2.6 beta 3  (Read 22415 times)

Barry Chuckle

• View Profile
Re: 2.6 beta 3
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2010, 09:14:05 AM »
I see you have made some enhancements to cpu load, but I am still having trouble with MSHTA using more and more memory the longer you use it. I think this is only on windows 7/IE 8.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 11:15:28 AM »
Not sure where to put the blame on this yet.  Version 2.6 uses more memory than previous versions, that is for certain.  In fact, that was the high CPU usage problem.  Part of my implementation for a classical inheritance object model created dynamic methods.  When I started looking at this as a possible part of the high CPU usage problem, I found it was creating nearly 20,000 dynamic methods, and this was creating havoc on the virtual machine.  I was able to remove the dynamic methods entirely and streamline the model to run even more efficiently.  This was a big win-win overall.  But it's still true that the object model I'm using simply uses more memory.

But the TD under IE8 (not sure if Win7 is a factor or not) definitely uses even more memory than under other versions of IE.  I don't have the numbers in front of me, but if I recall correctly it's pretty significant, like 30% to 50% more.  And it tends to get bigger as the program runs, and even when objects are freed up the memory footprint doesn't necessarily drop.

Once I fixed the high CPU usage problem, I have not seen even a bigger memory footprint cause any issues.  I would certainly like it to NOT use so much memory, but as long as it isn't causing problems, it isn't high on my radar.  Are you observing any issues from this?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 01:48:21 PM »
I'm running Win7/IE8 on mine, and I personally don't get any issues performance-wise, for the most part. On occasion throughout the night, the clock will hiccup for a moment, but catches itself and gets caught up. Not an issue for me, but could be attributed to the memory issue, as you have brought up. Other than that slight hiccup, there's been nothing performance-wise that I have noticed. What I will do later today is run a mock tournament and see what numbers I get and post back with the results.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Barry Chuckle

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2010, 03:31:34 AM »
with previous versions (up to 2.6 beta 2) I had to save the tournament at the first break (after 3 levels.45 minutes) and restart to prevent it slowing the laptop down too much.

I ran a tournament last night with 2.6 beta 3 and it was much better, although there was still a significant amount of memory being used by MSHTA and the clokc was stuttering now and again.

could still be a problem on longer tournaments, but the workaround is a quick save and restart during one of the breaks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2010, 11:03:46 AM »
When I couldn't figure out what the big issue with the high CPU usage in 2.6 was, I did a lot of optimization in an attempt to reduce the problem as much as possible.  Might account for the software running a little bit better, but it still does use more memory than I'd like.  Having said that, I run it on Win7/IE8 a lot and I still haven't encountered any hiccups after I fixed the big high CPU usage bug.  I wish I knew why you see them.

mikiewendy

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 12:24:05 PM »
I have run a few sample tournaments without issue.  My only request would be when exporting players.  I would like to be able to export the ID of the hitman rather than just his name.  This would make it much easier for those of us tracking hits in our databases.  I mentioned this before but understand you are quite busy with these updates.  I was hoping adding this field would not be too difficult.  Thanks again for all your hard work on this new version!  Looks great!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 12:51:02 PM »
It's definitely on the list, but I'm not sure if/when/how I will implement it.  I was working on a reporting feature, and this would be a natural fit, but the feature began taking way too much time and other development was suffering because of it, so it is currently indefinitely suspended (but not necessarily canceled).

However, the Hitman ID export is still on the 2.6 list, so at the very least it will get revisited before 2.6 is done.

Barry Chuckle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2010, 09:00:11 AM »
When I couldn't figure out what the big issue with the high CPU usage in 2.6 was, I did a lot of optimization in an attempt to reduce the problem as much as possible.  Might account for the software running a little bit better, but it still does use more memory than I'd like.  Having said that, I run it on Win7/IE8 a lot and I still haven't encountered any hiccups after I fixed the big high CPU usage bug.  I wish I knew why you see them.

Does this have any relevance?? http://forums.iis.net/p/1145315/1854584.aspx

Barry Chuckle

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2010, 10:28:06 AM »
Can I request that the players tab is sorted by time out not id... or at least it could remember how you sorted it previously?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2010, 11:33:09 AM »

Does this have any relevance?? http://forums.iis.net/p/1145315/1854584.aspx

I don't think so, but it's a good article nonetheless.  Thanks for the link!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 11:35:20 AM »
Can I request that the players tab is sorted by time out not id... or at least it could remember how you sorted it previously?

The Players tab can be sorted by any column, but it currently does not remember the column sorted by after closing the application.  I could make it remember, but it might take some work as I would need to do this in a lot of places, so it might not make it into the program anytime soon...

Smokin420s

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2010, 12:44:36 AM »
Is there a way to get the hotkeys to work while on the tables tab????

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2010, 11:24:56 AM »
Hotkeys are a touchy item, and they only fully work in certain places, while in other places only a subset of them work.

For example, when the Settings window is open, only the keys ESC and the function keys (F1 through f12) are enabled.  The exception is the Controls tab, on which all hotkeys are enabled.  The issue is input.  The Settings window is for configuration, and to take the Game tab as an example, if hotkeys were active here they could interfere with simply entering configuration information.  However, ESC and the function keys don't have a direct input function, so they can be active on configuration pages.  Since the Controls tab is specifically for controlling the tournament and not configuring it, and they won't interfere with input, all hotkeys are active.

Granted, most configuration tabs don't have direct input fields like the Game tab, but for the sake of consistency the hotkeys are [mostly] disabled on the various Settings tabs.  I guess I could enable hotkeys on those tabs, but I'm afraid it would be more confusing when the hotkeys work on some tabs but not others.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2010, 11:49:27 AM »
Nevermind.  Turned out to be really easy, so a new preference was added to fully enable hotkeys on appropriate tabs (Tables tab included).

Barry Chuckle

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 05:11:02 AM »
with previous versions (up to 2.6 beta 2) I had to save the tournament at the first break (after 3 levels.45 minutes) and restart to prevent it slowing the laptop down too much.

I ran a tournament last night with 2.6 beta 3 and it was much better, although there was still a significant amount of memory being used by MSHTA and the clokc was stuttering now and again.

could still be a problem on longer tournaments, but the workaround is a quick save and restart during one of the breaks.

I've been monitoring the system resources while I run a tournament and I have discovered a few things.

1. Whilst MSHTA.EXE does use increasingly more memory, the clock starts stuttering and the system slows before I am using more than 50% of the available memory.
2. Each stutter of the clock coincides with a peak in disk activity.

Not sure what this proves, other than the fact that the MSHTA.EXE memory usage may be a red herring.