Author Topic: 3.4 beta 1  (Read 49999 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 3.4 beta 1
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »
Not sure if this is useful or not, but I downloaded 3.4b1 to see if it would resolve my Windows 10 "Load and save" issues, but no luck.   During start-up, it loads the Game Screen, but the Settings Screen never comes up and you can't get it to load by right-clicking the game screen and selecting from the pop-up screen either.

Sounds like you may have had your PC/laptop hooked up to a secondary display, and the Settings window is opening "offscreen" (where that second display would be located).  Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12 to recenter everything.  In the next beta you can hold down the SHIFT key while the TD starts to reset the windows back to the main display.  Also, apparently a few folks have experienced this the first time starting the beta version, even though their PC wasn't previously connected to a second display.  Something in the preferences got converted incorrectly.  Either way, the fix is the same - Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12.

Also - looks like Norton AV has ID'd the install program (tournamentdirector34b1.exe) as a threat for "reputation". 

Thanks for the heads-up.  Sounds like Norton's "reputation" system is suspect.  Not that I'd expect any different.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2015, 12:24:42 PM »
It's been a while since beta 1 was released, so I thought I'd give everyone an update.  There are a lot of people using 3.4 beta 1 at this point, possibly more than have used any other beta version in the past.  Given the few error reports (automated and from people), this is extremely positive.

Where's the next beta?  Still in the works, and I make progress on it every day.  What's the hold up?  The update to support different font sizes in the configuration windows has turned into a pretty massive overhaul.  After releasing beta 1, I realized that I probably should in fact do something about dialogs that end up being larger than the display (whatever size that may be).  I began to tackle the problem dialogs, but soon realized I would have to touch every dialog in the application just to be sure and complete.  Turns out there are over 250.  I began tackling this long list and after refactoring 50 or so, realized I had to find a better way.  Some way to handle all large dialogs generically, and then do custom work only for those that required it.  I went back and refactored the basic dialog, making every dialog resizable, and after a bit of trial and error implemented a scheme that seems to be working.  Since then I've had to re-visit all of the dialogs all over again.  Fortunately, this time it's going much faster, as for many there's nothing to do other than ensure it does the right thing.  I've covered nearly 100 dialogs at this point.  I can't wait to finish and check this part "done", and move on to more interesting features.

I think that once I complete this work, I'll probably go ahead and release it as the next beta.  Thanks everyone for hanging in there, and for enough confidence in the product to use the beta for your real tournaments.

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 05, 2016, 01:07:49 PM »
Corey,
I was just messing about, trying to update the dashboard, and got this:
Object doesn't support this property or method (PreferencesTab, SeatingChartPage: 774)
 at Dashboard.Updaters.CurrentTime(String)
 at Dashboard.updateDashboard()
 at Dashboard.refreshDashboard()
 at PreferencesTab.DashboardControl.setLayout(Array)
 at PreferencesTab.DashboardControl.Drag.dragMouseUp(Unknown)
 at openDialog(SettingsDialog)
 at SettingsDialog.openDialog()
 at SettingsDialog.enterTab()
 at Hotkey.handleCommonHotkeyActions(Hotkey.Binding)
 at GameWindow.hotkey()
 at GameWindow.hotkeyHandler()

Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer
Browser Beta: false
Browser Client Info Version: 7.0
Browser Code Name: Mozilla
Browser Decided Version: 11.0
Browser Detected Version: 11.0
Browser Language: en-US
Browser Minor Version: 0
Browser Version: 4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; Tablet PC 2.0)
Cookies Enabled: true
CPU Class: x86
Data Folder: C:\Users\CrushPoker\Documents\The Tournament Director 2
Date: 2:05:14 pm 01/05/2016
DB File: C:\Users\CrushPoker\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\db\td.db
DB Folder: C:\Users\CrushPoker\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data\db
Install Folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\The Tournament Director 3
Install Info: cd8b2c4956e5ee30e7f118ca2b29575d9ffc0cf46cfaa388c83b6b710f6e03bf06c1a4933e40183bbccec5ade2042e8b334b3b37d7019eca90cc78fbd038b250fa843b4d397fe403
JScript Build: 16384
JScript Version: 5.8
License Info: j0cxE+9fJsHA0UAT38SbKSODBsF1oPrgiIaWbO4ia3Kyj3gFUhCzMD9CzGzx4+VGJXkaS1dkR/PpMgvN533JJnQyBE8VH+gp/9i1fD3itDc=
Media Player Version: 12.0.10586.0
Online: true
Platform: Win32
Preferences File: C:\Users\CrushPoker\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\prefs.sav
Preferences FS File: C:\Users\CrushPoker\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\prefs.fs
Repo Config File: C:\Users\CrushPoker\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\repo.sav
Repo Folder: C:\Users\CrushPoker\Documents\The Tournament Director 2\Data
Support Key: 7C5B7QR8F1245B3E254D904Y49BB935C1D74B8D30C3Q
System Language: en-US
TD Patch Level: null
TD Version: 3.4.b1
User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; Trident/7.0; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; Tablet PC 2.0)
User Language: en-US

-------------------------

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 05, 2016, 02:02:26 PM »
Bug with displaying the "Time" Dashboard field.  Avoid doing that with this beta version (it's already fixed in the next beta version, which I'm readying for release).  If you accidentally add this to your Dashboard, your prefs will be saved with this item in the Dashboard and you'll have trouble starting the TD unless you either delete your prefs file or fix it.  If this happens to you, email me (support@thetournamentdirector.net) your prefs.sav file and I can fix it, unless you're OK with simply deleting the prefs file and starting over with preferences.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 10:19:05 PM by Corey Cooper »

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2016, 01:00:15 PM »
FYI I ran my monthly tourney last night and had the black screen problem and the program froze and had to force close the program and restart. I know these are known issues but wanted to know if there are any error log file you would like to for me to upload/attach. If so let me know how and I will get them to you ASAP.

Thanks,

Chuck

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2016, 03:48:31 PM »
Even if you could enable the logging, I doubt it would give us anything useful.  Thank you for the offer.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2016, 02:11:52 PM »
Ok, ran the beta for the first time yesterday and here is what I found:

• No Setting window on the first run: Had to do the "ALT - SHIFT - CTRL - F12" trick
  • Selecting the "Players Tab" automatically scroll down the display. ???
  • The 24 hours preference is not respected on the Tournament Display... Actually the <currenttime> token does not take the pref into consideration
  • The "Chip Up" column of the "Rounds" tab does not display the CHECK MARK properly.
  • Trying to write to a "read only" file locks the application. I mentioned this before in the non beta version but I'll say it again anyway: I made all my "base tournament" files read-only to insure that they remain intact at all times, but when my manager forgets to do a "Save As", TD will eventually display an error dialog when attempting to auto-save the tournament. The problem here is there is no way to get out of this short of Force Quitting the app. Couldn't TD simply cancel the SAVE action and give us time to rectify the situation prior to attempting to save again? Because the dialog keeps coming back in a loop.
  • Has the memory requirement much increase in this new beta? I have experience many BLACK dialog boxes and even transparent one while attempting different duties throughout my tournament. Busting out players was a biggy: Right-clicking would produce a transparent dialog, you had to guess where the "Bust player" option was and if you got lucky, you would then be presented with a black window (offering you to check other players to bust) where again you had to guess where the "OK" button was.

Later on in my tournament, I notice the whole app slowing down (countdown clock, scrolling info) where I simply decided to restart the whole thing (computer included). everything went fine after that... For information, TD is running under Windows 8, 8 Gig RAM 64 Bits, Intel Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60 Ghz

Lafrog
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 03:05:36 PM by Lafrog »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 15, 2016, 08:08:35 AM »

• No Setting window on the first run: Had to do the "ALT - SHIFT - CTRL - F12" trick

I've gotten a few reports of this.  I'll be looking into how that preference may be being modified on first run.  On a related note, I've added these:

- Holding down SHIFT while the application starts will "shift" all off-screen windows back onto the main display.  This is the equivalent of Ctrl+Alt+Shift+F12.
- Holding down CTRL while the application starts will reset the font size back to the default.

Never heard this.  Can you be more descriptive?

• The 24 hours preference is not respected on the Tournament Display... Actually the <currenttime> token does not take the pref into consideration

Yep.  Bug in 3.4.b1, already fixed for 3.4.b2.

• The "Chip Up" column of the "Rounds" tab does not display the CHECK MARK properly.

Same.  bug in 3.4.b1, fixed for 3.4.b2.

• Trying to write to a "read only" file locks the application. I mentioned this before in the non beta version but I'll say it again anyway: I made all my "base tournament" files read-only to insure that they remain intact at all times, but when my manager forgets to do a "Save As", TD will eventually display an error dialog when attempting to auto-save the tournament. The problem here is there is no way to get out of this short of Force Quitting the app. Couldn't TD simply cancel the SAVE action and give us time to rectify the situation prior to attempting to save again? Because the dialog keeps coming back in a loop.

I replied to that comment already.  I've got a to-do item for addressing this.  Not sure how I'm going to go-about it, because I don't think "Auto-save" should automatically disable in case of an error, as the error could be temporary.  But maybe a dialog noting that since the tournament could not be saved, Auto-save will be disabled.  We'll see...

• Has the memory requirement much increase in this new beta? I have experience many BLACK dialog boxes and even transparent one while attempting different duties throughout my tournament. Busting out players was a biggy: Right-clicking would produce a transparent dialog, you had to guess where the "Bust player" option was and if you got lucky, you would then be presented with a black window (offering you to check other players to bust) where again you had to guess where the "OK" button was.

Later on in my tournament, I notice the whole app slowing down (countdown clock, scrolling info) where I simply decided to restart the whole thing (computer included). everything went fine after that... For information, TD is running under Windows 8, 8 Gig RAM 64 Bits, Intel Core i5-3230M CPU @ 2.60 Ghz

I don't think it's increased, but as I noted earlier in this thread, there's been a memory leak apparently since around 3.1.  I did a lot in the upcoming beta to address it, but every path I went down turned out to be a red herring.  So while changes have been made, I don't think it's going to have much effect, unfortunately.  I've not personally seen the black dialogs.  I don't know what to make of it.  But to be completely honest, I don't know that I'll pursue any of these in the near term.  After 3.4 goes out, I'm going to shift focus to trying to port the application to Chromium, and hopefully many of these issues will simply go away on their own.  Might be wishful thinking, but I think IE is responsible for a lot of this.

Edit: Forgot to add: Thanks for all of the input!  Very helpful.

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 15, 2016, 12:16:32 PM »

Never heard this.  Can you be more descriptive?

Well, I have notice that when I go to the PLAYERS' tab the header scrolls out of view (shifts up to the beginning of the players' table), so I need to scroll back up to see my tabs buttons and the header.

I replied to that comment already.  I've got a to-do item for addressing this.  Not sure how I'm going to go-about it, because I don't think "Auto-save" should automatically disable in case of an error, as the error could be temporary.  But maybe a dialog noting that since the tournament could not be saved, Auto-save will be disabled.  We'll see...
I am not saying that "AUTO-SAVE" should be disabled. but "fooling" TD into having completed the save might be a solution. That way it will attempt to auto-save again at the next cycle and allow the operator to fix the problem in the interim.

Thanks
Lafrog

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2016, 02:41:27 PM »
I understand that this may not be a priority, but I just wanted to add more information, in case it helps...

<SNIP>

I can confirm that I have seen this since running the BETA also. I did purchase more RAM for my computer, and it hasn't been _as_ bad, but many buttons require me to "push" them twice. Personally, I think it is tied to the transitions. I turned them off prior to my memory upgrade, and saw some improvement, but I think the timing/logic tied to certain events is a component. (good finger pointing here) The reason, when typing / editing, just as the transitions fired, I'd lose keystrokes/clicks, then it'd be good until the next transition.
I am running an AMD A8-7410 APU / Radeon R5 with (now) 16GB RAM on Windows 10. My tournaments are smaller in size (less than 30 players) and I now lock the screen on the tournament screen. If there is anything I can do / test to help out... I'd be happy to.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2016, 01:09:02 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I have seen where the application may "pause" or "stutter" during a screen transition, but I haven't seen keystrokes being lost.  Usually, the application will pause for a second, but any keys typed during that time will appear once the "pause" ends.

Silver Owl

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2016, 01:16:06 PM »
I can confirm the loss of keystrokes and mouse clicks. Windows 10, small 8 player tournament with screen transitions turned off.

CaptainPalapa

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2016, 10:20:18 PM »
This beta hasn't seen any movement in *quite* a while.  Announced in July of last year (2015) and last post on the topic was January of this year (2016).

What's shaking with the next update?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2016, 05:06:53 PM »
I'll be the first to agree that this new version has taken quite a bit longer than planned.  However, in my defense, you're looking at the topic for beta 1.  Beta 2 was released in April of this year.  You can find it here:  http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5161.0.  (Also this topic was amended to include a link to beta 2).  Beta 3 is finally, actually, reaching "done".  I hope to complete it soon.