Author Topic: Name format  (Read 2823 times)

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
Name format
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:28:39 PM »
The name format token I requested in the b5 topic would allow me to display on my inLineRankings the player's nickname (and name if nickname is empty). A few of my players don't want their real name being displayed on the screens and if I change the name format to nickname everyone without a nickname leaves a blank space whehere their name would be on the displays.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Name format
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 10:07:35 PM »
Why not set a player's Nickname to their First name (or First and Last name) if they don't have a nickname?

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 11:34:06 PM »
ummm...That should work!

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 12:02:27 AM »
When I changed players to use their first name as a nickname and set the name format to NN, the inlinerankings still showed a last name to players with nicknames. What I was hoping possible is if the player has a nickname it displays only a nickname and if no nickname is present to displays the first and last name

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 09:39:07 AM »
Keep in mind that players have no "Name" field.  They have a Nickname, a First name, and a Last name.  The "Name" field you see in various places is a field that is constructed, based on the Name Format preference, from the 3 name fields each player has (Nickname, First, and Last).

The pre-defined name formats all will fallback on a non-empty field for a player should the chosen field have no value.  So, if you select "Nickname" as the Name Format, players who have an empty Nickname field will have their First name displayed instead.  Since the software requires either a Nickname or a First name to be defined for every player, this is guaranteed to not be a blank.  Likewise, all of the other predefined formats do something similar.

The custom format will not fallback on anything.  So if you specify a Custom name format, and use the string "{NN}", if a player has no Nickname defined then their "name" will be displayed as a blank.

Going back to your original post, you said "A few of my players don't want their real name being displayed on the screens".  This begs the question, if a player doesn't want his real name displayed, and he/she doesn't have a Nickname defined, what should be displayed?

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:58:15 PM »
So far, everybody that has requested to have their name hidden from the inLineRankings has a screen name. In the event a player wouldn't want a screen name I could instruct my staff to enter initials in the nickname field.