Author Topic: Tournament Prize Payout Calculator - Corey Please Read  (Read 15018 times)

jhanna4112

• View Profile
    • Joe's Garage 127
Tournament Prize Payout Calculator - Corey Please Read
« on: November 04, 2011, 07:39:01 PM »
While browsing through the forum I have come across some posts where people are asking for help with tournament prize payouts.  After some research and playing around I have created an EXCEL worksheet that creates a payout schedule that seems to work well.  Since I've started using it I have had no complaints regarding the number of payouts or the amounts for each place paid.  It uses a "RATE" formula I found online that makes calculations that I don't fully understand (LOL).  Just my way of giving something back to the community that has helped me when I needed it.  The first worksheet in the file is simple instructions on using the calculator worksheet. 

Any questions and comments are welcome.

Unfortunately the file has a .xlsx extension and cannot be attached to this post.

Corey, if it's okay with you I'll post my email so that if anybody is interested in the file I can reply to their request with the file attached.  I'll wait to hear from you before I post my email.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Tournament Prize Payout Calculator - Corey Please Read
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 10:41:16 PM »
if you'd like, you can email me @ michael.brinkley@hotmail.com, and I can see if I can figure it out, if you would like.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 07:52:30 PM »
jhanna4112 - Just got to my email for the first time today. I did receive it, and I see the complexity to it. Can't promise I can figure it out, but I will do my best.

I'll take a look when I get my homework done, but tomorrow is going to look more promising as far as putting forth some real effort.

Corey - would it be possible to add the .xlsx extension for attachments?
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

jhanna4112

• View Profile
    • Joe's Garage 127
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 09:39:29 PM »
I know it's very complex.  It's an on going work in progress.  Any advice for improvements are more than welcome.

Thanks for yaking the time to look.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:55:02 PM »
It's the least I could do, frankly.  :)  I've gotten so much help early on in my time in using TD, it's my pleasure to assist where I can. Now that I have the homework done, I'm able to start taking a more in depth look at it.

Am I correct to assume to work off the November 2011 sheet?
---

jhanna4112

• View Profile
    • Joe's Garage 127
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2011, 11:03:18 PM »
November is the latest incarnation.  The formulas are the same in the other worksheets, just different number of entries for payouts and maybe different inputs.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 02:59:40 PM »
Must say... This is giving me fits... Having trouble with even where to begin (admittedly, I'm not great with formulas). Hopefully someone else can give assistance. But, I am not going to give up. If I can figure anything out, I'll post a reply with what/how I figured out.
---

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
Ok, got a little something for you, granted, not a formula. After sitting and looking, some parts came to me. For the secret bounty, high hand, and bad beat pots, you'll have to create a prize in the prizes tab. I would highly reccommend locking the prizes, as well, just in case you were to accidentally hit a button on the prizes tab, you may end up losing them. Those prizes will have to manually be awarded to the players intended, but that, as far as I know, would be the only way to do those prizes. If I get more, I'll come back and let you know.

Cheers!
---

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 11:59:33 PM »
Sorry for the late arrival (I've been on vacation and internet service was not the best).

jhanna4112: if you feel comfortable posting your email address, be my guest.  It's your spam folder.  :)

Magic_fubu: I've dropped the forum's check on filename extensions.  Maybe not the best option, but given that I'm proactive about spam, I don't know that filename restrictions are really helping us much anyway.  Attach away.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 10:06:41 AM »
Woud have to agree with you concerning the spam - all they've been doing lately is posting links and random text.  At any rate, here's the original. I've been trying, but not really able to come up with much of anything beyond what I posted.

Attached is the original file that I got via email.
---

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 12:23:35 PM »
To those that are helping:

In case you missed jhanna's earlier post, the November tab is the most recent one. I'm sure I speak for jhanna in saying thanks for the help. I know it's giving me fits...  ???
---

The Meal

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 01:34:51 PM »
Unfortunately the =RATE command uses iteration to find a solution: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/rate-HP005209232.aspx
Returns the interest rate per period of an annuity. RATE is calculated by iteration and can have zero or more solutions. If the successive results of RATE do not converge to within 0.0000001 after 20 iterations, RATE returns the #NUM! error value.
I don't believe you'd be able to mimic that within The Tournament Director (though I'm not clear on what the goal is for this exercise).

=RATE finds the solution to this formula (found in the =PV help page: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/pv-HP005209225.aspx?CTT=5&origin=HP005200181 ):

jhanna4112

• View Profile
    • Joe's Garage 127
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2011, 04:48:06 PM »
I guess the only practical purpose would be not having to open the EXCEL file for each tournament but instead have the calculations somehow performed within TD.  I know, I'm basically looking for lazy way of doing a simple task, but isn't that what computers were designed for?

Thanks for the inputs.  Sorry to Magic.  Just send me the shrink's bill. 

As long as the file was able to be posted I won't need to post my email, thanks Corey, my spam box also thanks you.

If anybody has developed a better system for calculating payouts I'm all ears.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 11:28:08 AM »
LOL - first one's on the house... both that, and a drink  ;D
---