Author Topic: Point calculation seems... off.  (Read 1780 times)

shushs

• View Profile
Point calculation seems... off.
« on: February 17, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »
We have been running, trusting the output from the 'Summary'and export functions. But when I check them manually, there is quite a discrepancy.  It is quite possible that I am missing something.

For example, our last tournament had 15 players. Using the following formula,

Code: [Select]
(sqrt(n*bc*bc/tc)/sqrt(r+nr))+(2*nh)
n       = number of players
bc      = buyin cost
r       = rank (place)
nr      = number of rebuys
tc      = total cost
nh      = number of hits (bounties)

From the Summary for the top 5 players, I get the following points:
Brandon L      50.00
Adam            22.68
Cap'n (ret.)   19.43
Buddy          25.50
Slick            12.18

None of these players re-bought, nor do we allow add-ons. The buy in is $50 with a  $10 bounty.
Brandon Adam Cap’n Buddy Slick
n 15 15 15 15 15
bc 50 50 50 50 50
r 1 2 3 4 5
nr 0 0 0 0 0
tc 60 60 60 60 60
nh 6 1 1 3 0

Points 37.00 19.68 16.43 18.50 11.18

These numbers obviously don't match up. Can I get a pointer or two... so I can understand where my issue(s) is/are??

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Point calculation seems... off.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:04 PM »
I think I'm confused.  I just applied the math.  It definitely works out.  Which part are you having trouble with?

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
Well, in the first case, brandon s awarded 50 points and when i do the math, he should have gotten 37. So, I either have something wrong doing it manually, or i am missing something that the Td software does. Can you show me your application of the math? Maybe i have a parenthesis in the wrong place.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 09:17:30 PM »
I applied the formula in your first Code section to the values in your third code section, and I get the same results, for each player (37 for Brandon, 19.68 for Adam, etc).

So where does the information in your second Code section come from ("From the Summary for the top 5 players, I get the following points")?

And a thought just occurred to me: Do you have the "Points for hit" set to anything (in the General Financial section, just above your Points for Player)?  Although if you do, the math doesn't quite work for me, but I have a feeling it's a setting like that.

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 04:55:14 AM »
The "Summary for the top 5 players" comes from the summary tab. It matches what is provided when I export the tournament. I do have points for hit set, but I think it is set to 1. Even if Brandon got a point for every hit, that still only takes it to 43. They also get one point for buying in.

I agree that the formula yields the same results. I am trying to figure out why TD gives me this unexpected value.  FWIW, I am running 3.4b2.

If you would prefer, I can provide the TD file, and the export. I'd prefer not to post it on the forums though because it has players full names and email addresses.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 07:55:09 AM »
The "Summary for the top 5 players" comes from the summary tab.

That's confusing to me because the Summary tab provides an overall tournament summary, but nothing about specific players (other than actions, or who won, or first player out).  It doesn't provide a points summary of the top 5 players.  Regardless, I understand that these are the point totals awarded to your players.

If you've got "Points for hit" set to anything besides 0, you're double-awarding points, because your Points for Playing formula includes the "nh" variable (2*nh).  Basically, the formula awards two points per hit and the "Points for hit" field is awarding additional point(s) for a hit.  If you have the "Points" field set in the Buy-in, then there's an additional point that also doesn't reflect in the Points for Playing formula.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you've probably got "Points for hit" set to 2 and "Points" for the buy-in set to 1.  That would explain the discrepancy for all players.  Take Brandon as an example.  The Points for Playing formula yields 37 points.  With "Points for hit" at 2, he gets an additional 12 points for his hits.  Plus an additional point for buying in yields 37 + 12 + 1 = 50.

FYI, the field "Points for hit" and "Points" in each of the Buy-in, Rebuy, and Add-ons sections are intended to be an easy way to award simple points.  The "Points for Playing" field is provided as a much more advanced way to award points.  While they can certainly be used together, there's no need to as "Points for hits" and points for buying-in, rebuying, and adding-on can all be included in the Points for Playing formula.

If you set all of those various fields to 0, then add a single "+1" to your formula, I think you'll be good:

(sqrt(n*bc*bc/tc)/sqrt(r+nr))+(2*nh)+1

The +1 represents a point for buying in.

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 09:23:11 AM »
I will try your recommendations, you haven't led me astray yet... The summary tab, in the scroll box, shows points awarded and place finished for all players. I only grabbed the top 5.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 10:26:55 AM »
The summary tab, in the scroll box, shows points awarded and place finished for all players. I only grabbed the top 5.

You're absolutely right.  I had forgotten that was at the end of the Action Summary.

shushs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2017, 07:19:30 PM »
Once again Corey, you nailed it. I had 2 set for "points for bust out". Thanks for fixing my math.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2017, 05:35:49 PM »
Glad to hear that cleared it up.  And that it's not actually a bug.  :)

randerson044

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 07:08:41 AM »
Looking to use this point system in my league. How is the best way to explain to my players how this point system works and could you break down how many points you get for how much money you spend?