Author Topic: help with formula for best number of games  (Read 4372 times)

gomester

• View Profile
help with formula for best number of games
« on: March 09, 2010, 05:05:15 PM »
Hi guys, Not sure where to post this at but I have the tournament director and have been running a league with the following formula for points league with the following formula for points structure: sqrt(n*bc)/(r+1)*10 i.e.:  square root of (number of players * buy-in cost) / (rank +1) *10 I need to modify this up a bit and am unsure of th exact formula. I want to have the same formula but only have it total the best number of games.  For exampe, if we have a season consisting of 18 games, I only want it to total the top 15 for each player just in case somebody misses a few they are not penalized.  So basically, if you only play 14, you get accumulated points for all 14 but if you played 18, only your top 15 points count towards the total points.  Also, I do NOT want to do an average. Is there a way to do this? Also, if this does not belong here, plese let me know where I should move it to.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: help with formula for best number of games
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:56:34 AM »
Your formula awards points for a single tournament.  Are you just wanting to sum the points for each player for a series of tournaments?  If so, use this for Tournament Score formula:

And this for Overall Score formula:

sum(top(15, scores))

gomester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 01:14:31 PM »
ok, so I am confused as to where this all goes I guess or maybe I am missing a variable somewhere.
On the "game" tab under "points for playing" i have "sqrt(n*bc)/(r+1)*10" without the quotes.
The stats tab filtered the games within the particular season and date range under the "stats" tab when I used the "filter" area.
Under stats>filter I go to "tournament scoring" button the formula listed log((n+1)/r) and I change that to "points" without quotes.
I then go to the overall scoring button and it currently says "(1-exp(-average(scores))) * 100"
I change that to "sum(top(15, scores))
It still does not change anything on the stats tab under the "points" column even when I refresh tourneys.
What am I missing?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »
Is "sum(top(15, scores)) the only line in there? 
And did you try to re-filter the stats once you changed it?
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

gomester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 04:12:15 PM »
Is "sum(top(15, scores)) the only line in there? 
And did you try to re-filter the stats once you changed it?

Yes it is.  Please see attached screen shots.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 06:05:18 PM »
Using formulas has not been my strong suit with TD, but from what I see with the screen shots, it looks like you're doing things right to me. What does it show when you click on Refresh Stats under stats tab?
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

gomester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 07:04:55 PM »
Using formulas has not been my strong suit with TD, but from what I see with the screen shots, it looks like you're doing things right to me. What does it show when you click on Refresh Stats under stats tab?
It is actually refresh tourneys, not refresh stats on mine.
But.......it goes through all the tourneys that are part of the filter and recalculates them but the point structure does not change whether i make the number 15 or 2 or anywhere in between.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 11:34:44 PM »
Unfortunately, I'm fresh out of ideas... Only other thing I can think of is if you have over 15 tourneys completed for the filter.  If not, then that would most likely be the cause. If not, hopefully someone else can be able to answer (sorry!)
---

gomester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 11:51:23 PM »
I have 26 tournaments completed foe the filter but I only want to total each persons top 15 finishes so I am unclear as to why it would matter if I have more completed than I am trying  to filter 

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 12:38:14 AM »
add your formula at the bottom see what happens

gomester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 01:03:29 AM »
Nothing works and from what I have seen from previous posts, I am not the only having trouble getting this to work.  Sounds like a serious flaw in the program.  I guess I will just have to change up what I wanted to do with the league or find a different program that will support what I want to do.  Too bad :(

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 01:15:30 AM »
on your formula   sqrt(n*bc)/(r+1)*10         the / replace with + see what happens        don't give up so soon there is a solution ;D    and the more you mess with this program the more you will love it
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 01:35:24 AM by TIMMER »

gomester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 02:11:40 AM »
Don't get me wrong; I do love the program.  I have been using it for about 3 years now and have gone through about 6 different versions. 
Using the + in the formula changes the formula, it is supposed to divide.  Besides, my formula works just fine.  It is trying to get the best X amount of games is what is not working.

TIMMER

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 03:10:01 AM »
           sorry i coudn't help :(
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 04:04:42 AM by TIMMER »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 11:20:09 AM »
Based on your screen shots, it looks like you've got it right.

In the resulting stats, the Points column for a player will not change.  That column shows the sum of the points the player earned for each tournament that passed the filter.  The column you are looking for is Overall Score.

When you run your stats, the Tournament Score formula (which is set to "points") runs and creates a value for each player for each tournament.  Since it is set to "points", it will be the same value as the amount of points the player earned for that tournament.  Out of that a variable named "scores" is created.  This variable is a list of all of the values created by the Tournament Score formula.  Finally the Overall Score formula is run, which, as you might guess, first takes the top (hightest) 15 values from the "scores" variable and then sums them.

What is in the Overall Score column?