Author Topic: Random seating and same number of players per table  (Read 3380 times)

Linker_Split

• View Profile
Random seating and same number of players per table
« on: July 27, 2012, 08:09:14 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm about to run a tourney and I'll print also recepits with table and seat printed on them.
I noticed that TD, when seating players (either one by one or all togheter) doesn't spread them evenly on all the tables.
Let's say that I expect 100 players, 10 tables with 10 seats each, but i want to start when there are 6 ppls per table (60 players). TD doesn't spread them like I wanted to do, but sometimes there are table with 8 players and tables with 2-3 players...
You'll say "you can move them manually"... yeah but... I printed a receipt with table and seat!

Is there a workaround or something I'm missing?
This is what I get for example:
table 1 6 players
table2 6 players
table3 8 players
table 4 4 players

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:20:12 AM by Linker_Split »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Random seating and same number of players per table
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 08:21:13 AM »
It's random.  Every player seated randomly at buy-in has an even chance of sitting in any seat.  So, the 2nd player to buy into the tournament has as much chance of sitting directly next to the 1st player to buy-in as he does of sitting in any other seat.

If the players were "evenly spread", it would not be random.  In fact, referring to the previous example, you'd be specifically reducing the chance that the 2nd player to buy-in would be sitting at the same table as the 1st player to buy-in.  That's not random.  One could even imagine a scenario where players alter their buy-in order to increase/decrease their chances of sitting in a particular place.

Edit: for example, if there was someone at a tournament I definitely did NOT want to sit by (at least not at first), all I have to do is make sure I get in line to buy-in right before or after that player.

JimG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 08:58:16 AM »
It would be nice to have an option to even out the table seating... I run two weekly tournaments and always have to balance the tables before we put the cards in the air.  This adds time and confusion prior to the start.

JimG

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 10:08:01 AM »
Seating allocation during registration is only of use when you know that you will have x amount of players, when it is unknown it always better practice to do your seating draw after registration, as Corey says, evening out the tables during registration would remove the random element, and thus allow players to effectively pick their seats, by their queue position, which defeats the purpose of the feature.
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »
If you know how many players will be participating, make sure you've got just enough tables and seats before you start buying players in.  Then they will be randomly distributed and you won't have to balance before starting the tournament.

If you don't know how many players will be participating, how could the software?

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 09:55:02 PM »
A my last club, my staff would work on the Tables Tab. Register players, manually drag and drop them to a seat (to keep tables balanced during late registration) and then buy them in. Their receipts will show the 'balanced' seating arrangement

JimG

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
I never know the number of players that will show... 24 to 40.  It would be very awkward to buy them in... then have them come back for a seat assignment.  It would be a nice to have option to balance at buyin... not critical

JimG

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 10:26:04 AM »
I never know the number of players that will show... 24 to 40.  It would be very awkward to buy them in... then have them come back for a seat assignment.  It would be a nice to have option to balance at buyin... not critical

JimG

I reckon it would be more a case of them being used to having their seat assignment when registering, with those variables it's always going to be pretty hard to auto-seat players at registration, if you registered then drew for seats they would likely moan the first time, then as soon as you started the tournament see the benefits,mand be more impressed by your directing skills, for the fast and efficient commencement of the tournament without players having to move around before start.

You are probably wasting more time doing it that way, than doing a draw after reg closes.
Stuart Murray

Linker_Split

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »
well then it would be good to have a receipt printing task when "seating players" along with "buy-in players"

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
well then it would be good to have a receipt printing task when "seating players" along with "buy-in players"

Agreed.