Author Topic: TOC Setup Starting Stacks  (Read 2711 times)

Seitz333

• View Profile
TOC Setup Starting Stacks
« on: December 18, 2015, 01:16:05 PM »
I did not want to hijack the other thread so I started a new one. I too will be having my yearly TOC. I want add players to the tourney (not buy them in yet) but I want to be able to set their starting stacks at the time of adding them to the tourney. Starting stacks are based on their year end points so everybody has a different starting stack. Is this possible or could the feature be added?

Thanks,
Chuck

shushs

• View Profile
Re: TOC Setup Starting Stacks
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 01:06:48 PM »
So, yet another option... How do you qualify your ToC? Points, Wins, Other?
I am curious to know... maybe I should do it differently.   The whole reason I went with points, and then limiting to the top n scores, was because not everyone could make every tournament. If they showed up, and paid, for ~ half the tournaments, then they still had a fighting chance.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:19:01 PM »
I did not want to hijack the other thread so I started a new one. I too will be having my yearly TOC. I want add players to the tourney (not buy them in yet) but I want to be able to set their starting stacks at the time of adding them to the tourney. Starting stacks are based on their year end points so everybody has a different starting stack. Is this possible or could the feature be added?

You can modify a player's Chip Count at any time, even before they are bought-in.  But you can't do it at the time of adding them to the tournament, you have to manually edit the player and set their chip count (or press the Set Chip Counts button on the Players tab).

Remember if you have the "Automatically update players' chip counts" preference enabled, the player's Chip Count will be updated (added to) upon buy-in.

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 11:57:16 AM »
So, yet another option... How do you qualify your ToC? Points, Wins, Other?
I am curious to know... maybe I should do it differently.   The whole reason I went with points, and then limiting to the top n scores, was because not everyone could make every tournament. If they showed up, and paid, for ~ half the tournaments, then they still had a fighting chance.

Players use their top 8 point scores. Starting stacks are their top 8 scores x 100. I allow any player who has played at least 1 tourney in the current year to play the TOC. All players pay $50 buyin, I also have added money from where I raked $10 from every rebuy throughout the year ($850 for 2015). The points formula is:

Points for playing: 10*(SQRT(n/r))-5
Points for hit: 1.25

Chuck

Seitz333

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 03:44:18 PM »

You can modify a player's Chip Count at any time, even before they are bought-in.  But you can't do it at the time of adding them to the tournament, you have to manually edit the player and set their chip count (or press the Set Chip Counts button on the Players tab).

Remember if you have the "Automatically update players' chip counts" preference enabled, the player's Chip Count will be updated (added to) upon buy-in.

Corey, I adjusted the player chip counts before they bought in. I have the buyin chip amount set to zero. I have the <stack> token on the layout and it shows zero after buying in players with an adjusted chip count, I want to display the average chip stack. Is there a way to do this when using adjusted player chip counts?
Thanks,
Chuck
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:45:55 PM by Seitz333 »

Tyke46

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 07:41:45 PM »
I did not see this question before I asked the same one . I read Corey's answer and I bought the players in advance and set their chip counts. I have automatically adjust players chip counts checked on the preferences tab.  I have 11 players bought in at $1,000 on set chip counts it is showing $12,035 chips distributed but on the tournament screen it shows the chip count as $11,000 and the average stack as $1,000 how do I adjust this?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 10:44:13 PM »
The thing to remember, and it feels a bit wacky admittedly, is that each player has a Chip Count field which basically is not used by the application.  The Chip Count field was added (a long time ago) for the express purpose of allowing users to arbitrarily set each player's Chip Count in order to show the chip counts on the Player Rankings screen and/or Seating Chart screen.  Imagine someone who performs an ad-hoc break just before the final table seats, manually counts each remaining player's chips, and wants to display them in the Game window.  That's what it is for.  Beyond that, it isn't used at all by the TD application.  Ok, that's not 100% true, but it's 99% true.  The only other thing the application does with that field is keep it sort of updated if you have the "Automatically update players' chip counts" preference enabled.  In that case, at buy-in a player's Chip Count field is updated with the number of chips in the buy-in transaction (the Chip Count field has the number of chips in the buy-in added to it).  Likewise, the Chip Count field is updated similarly for add-ons, rebuys, and the "undo" of each of these transactions.

For the "tournament chip count", which is the total number of chips in the tournament, the application computes this by adding up all of the chips in every buy-in, rebuy, and add-on (plus the chip count adjustment, from the Game tab).  That's what you'll see when you gave the <chipcount> token in your layout.  For average stack (<stack>), this number of divided by the remaining number of players.  A player's Chip Count field, as described above, is not considered and is meaningless as far as the application is concerned.

Corey, I adjusted the player chip counts before they bought in. I have the buyin chip amount set to zero. I have the <stack> token on the layout and it shows zero after buying in players with an adjusted chip count, I want to display the average chip stack. Is there a way to do this when using adjusted player chip counts?

So I think no, not based on this method.  What would be better to do, and sorry if I just didn't "get it" before, would be to simply buy each player in using a different chips amount.  In other words, regardless of what the "Chips" amount is set to in the Buy-in profile on the Game tab, when you buy each player into the tournament, set the Chips to their appropriate starting amount during the buy-in.  You'll have to buy each player in individually, setting the Chips appropriately.  This way the application will be using the correct amounts for computing total chips, average stacks, etc.  Again, sorry if I led you down the wrong path.

I did not see this question before I asked the same one . I read Corey's answer and I bought the players in advance and set their chip counts. I have automatically adjust players chip counts checked on the preferences tab.  I have 11 players bought in at $1,000 on set chip counts it is showing $12,035 chips distributed but on the tournament screen it shows the chip count as $11,000 and the average stack as $1,000 how do I adjust this?

I hope my previous wall of text (above) answers this for you, with the answer being basically the same as for Seitz333.  Don't use the Set Chip Counts function.  Instead, set the buy-in chips appropriately for each player.