Author Topic: Points for placing only in a multi table tournament  (Read 2107 times)

LeftyGT6

• View Profile
Points for placing only in a multi table tournament
« on: September 14, 2006, 05:32:25 PM »
I've read through the forum and the help section of software, but haven't found what I need.  Is there a short cut for creating a formula to reward ONLY the people that place in the money?

Our tournament structure gives us an additional point for the place just like n-r+1, but we want to eliminate the additional points given to those that do not finish in the money.  So in a 20 person tournament with 5 places, we want 5 for 1st, 4 for 2nd...down to 1 for 5th, but no points for 6-20.

Any help would be appreciated.  I was looking to see if there was a piece of the formula for tw to indicate the # of the place of the prize instead of the $value.

Lefty

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Points for placing only in a multi table tournament
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 12:26:34 AM »
No there's not, currently, but that's a great "feature request".   :)

I see the formula you described like this:

New variable m = 1 if in the money, 0 if not

(n-r+1) * m

LeftyGT6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 08:11:14 AM »
Sounds good, we'll just have to use the regular "placing" formula until that update.  I appreciate the response.

MattBurlew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 12:02:01 PM »
Would (n-r+1) * if(t>0,1,0) work?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 12:48:31 PM »
Not necessarily, although it's a good stab at it.  t = Take, which is basically your winnings minus your cost, which could be positive even if you don't place in the money.  If your tournament uses bounty chips, a player could have a positive take by busting out a bunch of other players, but still not place in the money.

(n-r+1) * if(pw > 0, 1, 0) is closer.  The only drawback here might be how you define "in the money".  If a player wins a prize that isn't based on rank (such as for a high-hand or as a bounty on another player), their prize winnings will be positive, even though this might not qualify as "in the money" - depending on your definition.