Author Topic: moving a layout on to an older computer  (Read 1725 times)

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
moving a layout on to an older computer
« on: January 11, 2011, 08:43:09 AM »
I down loaded the beta version on to my new laptop (display 1024 680). My old laptop contains the 2.5 Version (display 1280 640), And this is the one i now use for tournaments.

I Have made a couple of layouts  and would like to know if

*Will they work on the old laptop. They are still basic layouts, with nothing fancy in them. Not that TD savvy yet.
* how do i export them for use on the old laptop. I know that I can go to the layout tabs and do it from there, but how do i include the sounds and pictures.
* when i do export them , where do i place the files, the TD data store in "My Programs or the TD folders in the "My Documents" folder.
* Will i Have to resize the pictures. The ones i am using are 1280--800.

Much obliged for any info, thanks in advance

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: moving a layout on to an older computer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 10:29:01 AM »
I down loaded the beta version on to my new laptop (display 1024 680). My old laptop contains the 2.5 Version (display 1280 640), And this is the one i now use for tournaments.

I Have made a couple of layouts  and would like to know if

*Will they work on the old laptop. They are still basic layouts, with nothing fancy in them. Not that TD savvy yet.

No, sorry, they will not.  While 2.6 will load any layout saved with 2.6 or any previous version, layouts saved with 2.6 cannot be loaded in previous versions.  This is just the nature of software and change.  Sometimes software can and is written in such a way that items added in new versions will just be ignored by earlier versions of the software, and in fact this is sometimes true with the TD.  But I overhauled layouts completely in 2.6.  They simply won't work in earlier versions.

* how do i export them for use on the old laptop. I know that I can go to the layout tabs and do it from there, but how do i include the sounds and pictures.

As mentioned above, they won't work.  But the procedure in general is to use the Export button on the Layout tab.  This will export the layout and any images included with the layout, and optionally your sounds/events and chips.  This procedure saves everything in a single ZIP file, which allows you to move the layout to another PC, share it with someone else, etc.  This works today with 2.5.

* when i do export them , where do i place the files, the TD data store in "My Programs or the TD folders in the "My Documents" folder.

2.6 also has an Import Layout feature.  You should use this.  For pre-2.6, you can actually use the Restore feature on the Database tab.  This essentially extracts the ZIP to the correct folder (your Data Store).

* Will i Have to resize the pictures. The ones i am using are 1280--800.

Much obliged for any info, thanks in advance

Maybe, depends on the pictures, depends on your resolution on each machine, etc.  If, for example, you're using a background image, and the resolutions on the 2 PCs are different, you will most likely have to resize the image.

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
Re: moving a layout on to an older computer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 02:55:51 PM »
Thank you for clearing up those points
Jim