Author Topic: Tournament Point Suggestions  (Read 8327 times)

brenner

• View Profile
Re: Tournament Point Suggestions
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2006, 10:47:42 AM »
I hear what you are saying but after 2 years of TDing my own league, I have seen people get into the upper ranks by sitting and waiting, not risk taking.  They are being rewarded because they aren't calling the big bets.  True, anyone can get hits, but not everyone risks their stack to call an all-in.  What if someone maintains their stack through the entire game while another player takes everyone out.  Then the player that takes everyone out is unlucky (most time luck is all that matters between 1st and 2nd) and loses to the safe player.  Has the safe player earned their 1st place?  Yes, but if they complain because 2nd got more points then they did, then they should start playing some poker and taking risks.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 10:49:18 AM by brenner »
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Poker Dad

• Poker - More than a game, not quite a lifestyle!
    • View Profile
    • The Tuesday Night Poker Club
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2006, 09:25:00 AM »
The Tuesday Night Poker Club, normally plays 2 games each Tuesday.  We play for a Quarter (3Months) and then at the end of the year we have the BIG FINALE

We really try to keep it simple and use the following for points.  ((n-r)*2)+5

Good Luck and Enjoy the New Year

Michael
Poker Dad
Sometimes you have to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is.

Doyle Brunson

britnt7

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 02:57:31 PM »
I hear what you are saying but after 2 years of TDing my own league, I have seen people get into the upper ranks by sitting and waiting, not risk taking.  They are being rewarded because they aren't calling the big bets.  True, anyone can get hits, but not everyone risks their stack to call an all-in.  What if someone maintains their stack through the entire game while another player takes everyone out.  Then the player that takes everyone out is unlucky (most time luck is all that matters between 1st and 2nd) and loses to the safe player.  Has the safe player earned their 1st place?  Yes, but if they complain because 2nd got more points then they did, then they should start playing some poker and taking risks.

There are different types of players and not all players are the risk taking type of players. You can't take risks if you don't catch the right cards. If someone moves all in and I have a crap hand, then I should fold. If Mr. Jamie Gold to my left plays 2 3 just because it's suited and knocks out two players doesn't make him any better of a player than I am. My point is that if you played your best and ended up the winner but didn't necessarily catch the right cards at an all in time, you should still be rewarded the point leader for that week. Would you agree that the guy that finishes 2nd and knocks out 10 players deserves more just because he caught trips every other hand?

I agree with the poster earlier that said there is not one correct formula because we would all use it. I'm just saying that after two seasons and going into my third in February, everyone keeps coming back week after week and no complaints from no one about the point structure. This makes me very happy...

PTL

• View Profile
    • Poker League
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 12:33:53 PM »
It really depends on what kind of reward you would like to play to be honest.  If you want the consistant, loyal player do a Net Gain type method.  If you want to reward agressive play make a bounty type scoring system.  If you want to encourage people that can't come out and make it very often do a Percentile method.
The Best User Driven Poker Site, where you can find Poker Games in your area and get the latest Poker Strategy.

brenner

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 05:44:27 PM »
I agree with the poster earlier that said there is not one correct formula because we would all use it. I'm just saying that after two seasons and going into my third in February, everyone keeps coming back week after week and no complaints from no one about the point structure. This makes me very happy...

I agree as well.  As long as every keeps coming back for every tournament, then you must be doing something right.  Who knows?  After this year, I will probably change the point structure yet again.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

Keith_Huggins

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 01:11:10 PM »
Wow there has been some good conversation on this topic - thanks for everyones input.  Here is what I ended up doing for my points as well as end of the year tournament
Reminder: I host 2 games a week (wednesdays and Saturdays) about 30 people on wed and 20+ on sat.

reverse ranking +1 (30 people 1st gets 30 last gets 1)
1 point for final table (9th or better)
1 point for knocking someone out.

In regards to the TOC, since i have it on two nights and not all players can make it to both nights - I felt that it was only fair to base it off of avg points.

Also to be eligible for ranking and/or the ability to buy in you have to have had played in 35% of the tournaments played. (about 30 games - were estimating high 80 to 90 games)

Prize pool - we take a 20 off the top of each tourney - that with buy in in the final game should add up to $2000+ Prize pool

Thanks again for all the help.
Keith

Bixby

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 04:02:49 PM »
Wow. Lots of great discussion here. We are into game #5 of our 2007 Series. This is our second season. The first one went very well and I have had to cap the number of people I invite to this year. I will share what we are doing in case it is of use to anyone setting up a series.

We play with two tables. Minimum # of players is 6 and Maximum is 16 for official PFH Series Games.

Points formula is quite simple. Each player receives 10 points for every player that busts out before them. The top four players (Cash earners) get their points factored as follows:

1st place is multiplied by 1.50
2nd place is multiplied by 1.35
3rd place is multiplied by 1.15
4th place is multiplied by 1.05

We run the series from January to October and the top eight points earners will meet at the final table.

I commit to hosting a minimum of 20 games and a maximum of 40 during the season, (life happens).

Points are based off of the best 7 of the first 10 games played.

Each player receives 2 points for every elimination, (they all liked the idea of a take out bonus). This is in place for the entire series, even after your first 10 games are done.

We have 52 on the invite list, (how is that for coincidence?). Many players play more than the 10 games needed for points calculations. In October, there is a satellite seat game. The 8 seats at this game go to the players with the most games played that currently have not made it to the final table. The top 2 from this game get to join the chosen 8 for a final table game of TEN players.

Every player contributes $5 each game to the final pot.

In addition to the nightly payouts for the top four positions, we have a nightly bounty pot and three accumulating pots.
(1) Bad Beat Pot....  Pays out when it occurs.
(2) Gunslinger Pot... Pays out when the pot trips over the $100 limit.
(3) Best Hand Pot... Pays out when the pot trips over the $75 limit.

Currently we are using TD to run the tournament but we track all of the points rankings, financial rankings, and pots in Excel. TD is a great program, but we felt Excel would meet our Unique needs better.

Anyways,
Great to hear what everyone is doing with TD and their Poker Series...

Cheers,
Bix
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 05:37:20 PM »
what is a gunslinger pot (highest number of hits?)

How do you define your "bad beats" and how do you distribute the "best hand" pot?  for "best hand" do you just give it to the person who had the best hand of the night after the $75 is met?

Bixby

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 06:00:27 PM »
what is a gunslinger pot (highest number of hits?)

How do you define your "bad beats" and how do you distribute the "best hand" pot?  for "best hand" do you just give it to the person who had the best hand of the night after the $75 is met?
Gunslinger is the most take outs up to the point the pot pays, then everybody has their G/S count reset to zero.

A bad beat is any hand that is full house or better and is beat by another hand.

We keep a Best Hand registry, where players can register the best hand if it beats the current best hand in the registry. Currently, in our series, one player has a straight flush. 6S-7S-8S-9S-10S. When the limit is tripped, the pot pasy out to teh best hand to date and the registry gets reset.

Hope that makes sense...
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 08:18:46 PM »
I'm about to implement a point system and I really like the square root idea, but what I have done is changed the 10 to 20 and gave points for rebuys, add-ons, and hits. I'm giving 2 points for each hit and 1 for each rebuy (we allow 2 rebuys in the first hour and 1 add on after the first hour is up, during first break only). The reasoning for this is that we are a social group, and we don't want anyone having to sit out in the first hour. There is only 1000 chips for rebuy and addons with starting chips of 2500 so its not really all that beneficial to go all in when you lose. Anyways, rebuys and addons only add money to the total pot so its contributing therefore you get points. The place times 20 points makes it more important to place better than to try getting your points through hits, addons, or rebuys. Not sure how this works in practice, but thats my thoughts in theory.