Author Topic: Internet Explorer version 8 BETA  (Read 6073 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Internet Explorer version 8 BETA
« on: September 12, 2008, 12:17:27 PM »
Edit: This thread is not relevant now that IE 8 has been released.  To save future readers from having to read the entire thing, the TD is fully functional using Internet Explorer 8.  In fact, Microsoft has made some excellent speed improvements to the scripting engine in IE 8, resulting in a noticeably faster TD (in my experience), so I recommend using IE 8 over IE 7.

The Tournament Director requires Internet Explorer version 6 or later in order to function.  The requirements listed on the website note this (http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/download.html and http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/faq.html#faq0), and have been recently updated to point out that beta versions of IE will not work.

Internet Explorer 8 is currently in beta testing, and thus is not a finished product.  Feel free to give it a try with the Tournament Director, but in all likelihood it will not work, and more importantly, it is not supported.

There has been some confusion around IE 8 and Vista with regards to going back to IE 7 when one discovers the Tournament Director will not work with it.

Apparently, Internet Explorer is not considered a product or a program in Vista, but an update.  Therefore, you can't "uninstall" it in the traditional way.  You must therefore uninstall the update that contained IE 8 if you wish to revert to IE 7.

There are a number of ways to revert listed in various forums, so I've listed a few of them below:

To uninstall Internet Explorer 8, go to Control Panel, and click on Uninstall Programs link or Programs and Features icon. Then on Tasks pane on the left, click on View installed updates link. Locate and select Windows Internet Explorer 8 in the list of installed updates, and then click on Uninstall button. Click on Yes when asked that are you sure want to uninstall the update. Restart the computer.

From the IE8 release note:

If Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 does not appear in the Currently Installed
Updates list, run the following command at an elevated command prompt:
FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages/M
Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-8*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling
package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

And an informative forum topic:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.beta&tid=27874059-9f2d-4cc2-b324-f90718d55c52&cat=en_US_36E23B85-28CE-4ad7-97FC-812B69AF1070&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1

Thanks to jklaver for working through this with me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:39:40 AM by Corey Cooper »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer version 8 BETA
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 10:37:49 PM »
I tried Internet Explorer 8 RC 1 tonight on Vista Home.  Aside from a few visual artifacts (very minor), I don't have any problems.  Anyone else had any experiences with RC 1 yet?

AdamK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 10:55:17 AM »
I couldn't bring up individual player data from the database running Vista Ultimate and IE 8 BETA 2. Reverted back to IE 7 and all is well again.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 10:40:37 AM »
Yeah, the betas will not work.  But RC1 has been released, and other than some UI stuff (in the Settings window and dialogs there's some UI "noise"; already fixed this for 2.5.6), I haven't had any issues.

Still no one else worked with RC1 yet?  I'm surprised with all of the bug reports I've gotten about IE 8 beta.  Maybe it's just working now so no one really notices....

simpleman56

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 09:56:42 AM »
Corey,

While surfing around I found a link in regards to IE 8 that tells you how to make your web site compliant.  I think it may also apply to The Tournament Director.  Here is the link http://www.tweakvista.com/articles/39244/force-your-web-site-to-be-rendered-in-ie7-mode-in-ie8/. I hope it helps.

Martin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 05:54:10 AM »
Hi,

I need TD to run as fast as possible as I have over 1000 players in the database and over 20 leagues. I had nothing but problems using IE8 with ALL TD VERSIONS on Vista. But after trying a number of combinations of IE7/IE8/WINDOWS XP/VISTA and all versions of TD I have found that if I run Version 2.4.3 on XP with IE8 the speed is the best I can get! However, I also tested TD on Windows 7 BETA with the version of IE that comes with Windows 7 and ohh boy is it fast! So, no problems in the future as far as power and speed is concerned. I thought somebody might find this helpful. ;D

Update: I am now using the latest version on XP with IE8
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 10:30:01 AM by Martin »