Author Topic: Best 8 out of 10  (Read 4249 times)

Johnnyone

• View Profile
    • Knowsley Poker
Best 8 out of 10
« on: January 03, 2008, 10:46:10 AM »
Have just finished using the TD2 software at the end of our first club series and it worked really well. The next will be slightly different in that players points will be used from their best 8 out of 10 tournaments.

At the end of each event people come to the screen and want to see where they finished and how this affected their position. I just usually go to the stats screen and then order by points.

How can I do this on a best 8 out of 10 basis?

Thanks in advance.

John

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Best 8 out of 10
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 11:25:54 AM »
If it's based entirely on points, on the Stats filter, set Tournament Score to:

.. and set Overall Score to:

sum(top(8, scores))

Overall Score will be set to the sum of the player's highest 8 points values.  If you'd rather DROP the 2 lowest scores (in other words, always drop 2 even if they haven't played 10 tournaments), change Overall Score to:

sum(top(count(scores) - 2, scores))

Bixby

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 12:16:15 PM »
That is awesome. The request I have is the following:

In our league, we played 20 games last year. Everyone got to use the Best 7 of their first 10 games.

The Best logic is in place, is there anything I can do to calculate the Best 7 of the FIRST 10 Games played? This will equalize the playing field between frequent and infrequent players.
My KARMA ran over your DOGMA

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 01:12:59 PM »
Not in the formula, but you can use the filter to filter out all of the tournaments other than the first 10.  You can create a season to do this and assign the first 10 tournaments to that season, or more easily you can just set the start and end dates of the filter appropriately to grab only the first 10 tournaments.

Bixby

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »
Not in the formula, but you can use the filter to filter out all of the tournaments other than the first 10.  You can create a season to do this and assign the first 10 tournaments to that season, or more easily you can just set the start and end dates of the filter appropriately to grab only the first 10 tournaments.

Let me clarify...
Person A plays in Games 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,15
What you suggest above would work.

Person B plays in Games 1,3,4,5,8,9,10,11,12,19,20
Their first 10 games do not happen to coincide with the first 10 games of the season.

Hope that sheds some light onto my quandary.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 03:02:38 PM »
Indeed, you do have a quandary.  Frankly, I can't think of a way to do this.  I'll follow up if I come up with something...

Bixby

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 04:06:54 PM »
Thanks Corey.

I am not sure how many other people may benefit from this.  Currently, I track all of the stats outside of TD to accomodate our league reporting. It would be cool to do it in TD but I can run like this.

I would think that others have a situation like this though. For us, I can accomodate a fixed number of players at our games. For us that number is 16 players at two tables. There are 55 people on our Poker Invite list of which 30 are reasonably active players. When we post a game event, the seats go to the first 16 respondents. One of the benefits of this is we get a different mix of players each poker night. Another benefit is that we consistently sell out so the games are always full and that keeps points allocations even across poker evenings. Some people tend to play their games earlier in the season and some later; largely depends on what is going on in their lives at the time. By taking the Best X of the First Y games, the points are fair when you contract any two players. One with ten games and one who possibly was able to play all 20.

Hope that information gives better rationale to why we set up our points structure this way.

As always, your software is top shelf and adds a real air of professionalism to our poker events. Thanks again for the software and the stellar support you offer on these forums.

-Matt

Bixby

• Guinness is Goodness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 03:50:14 PM »
*bump*

I am interested to know if any of the other members that run leagues run into the situation I posted about above. If so, do you see a benefit in the feature I described.

Thought I would take a straw poll.

Thanks in advance.
-Matt

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 08:19:23 PM »
I use a best x out of total.  I could see where it could discourage people from playing after they have played there 10 games and they won't get points anymore if you use the first 10 out of total - it could maybe even change the way they play, which might impact other players who are going for points yet (probably not, but it is in the realm of possibility).

I don't quite understand why you wouldn't use the best 10 out of 20 tourneys rather than just first 10 tourneys.

seems pretty unusual to me anyway and I haven't seen this used in other league schemes (haven't see a ton though), but I don't ever think about going out 20 tourneys for a season either - so maybe the dynamics would be different, but it still "evens things out" by taking the best x of y tourneys and also drops all the missed tourneys someone might have - so it accounts for that.  Plus players will always be motivated to attend so they can better their score (although it sounds like you don't have to promote attendance).

rakrul

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2008, 07:37:46 AM »
If it's based entirely on points, on the Stats filter, set Tournament Score to:

.. and set Overall Score to:

sum(top(8, scores))

Overall Score will be set to the sum of the player's highest 8 points values.  If you'd rather DROP the 2 lowest scores (in other words, always drop 2 even if they haven't played 10 tournaments), change Overall Score to:

sum(top(count(scores) - 2, scores))

That would give you the best 8 scores and not points wouldn't it? Currently I'm using HPT.com to do that for me but I would like to do it in TD2 as well. However when I tested this on my last season where I got 99 points, and entered sum(top(8, scores)) but it made my overall score 11.2323 and lots of 0.xxx on the bottom half (they had 10 points or less)...

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2008, 10:01:29 AM »
That would give you the best 8 scores, yes.

The Tournament Score formula computes a score value to each player, for each tournament.  The Overall Score formula(s) take the Tournament Scores and manipulate them in some way to arrive at an overall score.  "Score" is just a term meant to describe however you choose to "score" players.

In this case, the Tournament Score formula is set to "points", so it will be equivalent to the player's points for the tournament.  Therefore, the Overall Score formula will really be summing the player's points, and dropping the two lowest values.

Johnnyone

• View Profile
    • Knowsley Poker
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2008, 09:34:10 AM »
Hi Corey and all. Thanks for the reply's. Will give this a go.

Sorry for the delayed reply.

Regards

John

Johnnyone

• View Profile
    • Knowsley Poker
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »
Hi, Am not sure how top set Tournament Score to "points". Setting the Overall Score seems ok. I just copied in the formula you mentioned into the second option to choose an overall score.

Could you please give more specific instructions.

Thanks

John

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »
on the stats filter dialog under "tournament score", put the word "points" with no quotes.

Then in the overall score use whatever scoring system you want to score a grouping of tourneys.