Author Topic: Live site updates  (Read 1728 times)

dniezby

• View Profile
Live site updates
« on: November 30, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
Corey,

I found that feature that publishes updates to a. URL. Is this basically a "live update" feature?
What I mean is, iOS this something that would give my website visitors a sort of play-by-play of our games?

If so...Really cool.

How do I use it?

What do I need to do to process the file on my site ?  Anyway to work like  streaming coverage of an event?

Oh and BTW. Way to go on this version. 

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Live site updates
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:37:21 PM »
I suppose you could call it that (live update), but it is very minimal from the software's point of view.  That is, it will post or write to a file tournament data at a specified interval, but that's it.  You'll have to consume that data in some way and make it meaningful.  I haven't provided anything to do that for you.

dniezby

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 05:59:20 PM »
Any thoughts on how I might so do something like that? A general direction would be cool.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 03:39:34 PM »
Depends of course on what you want to do.  As a simple example, once could write a web page using PHP that accepts the status update (a POST or GET HTTP request), and writes out (to a file) an HTML page that contains information from that request.  Players could then just visit the page that is written for an always-up-to-date status of the tournament.  I'll try to put together an example for an upcoming release.

To see what the feature does, configure it to write the status to a file and then press the "Attempt Update Now" button.  Then go look at the file and you'll see what kind of information is written/sent.  It is basically the same variables & values you have access to for points formulas.  Those variables can tell you lots of things, like the current round/level, how much time is left, how many players are left, the size of the pot, etc.

I plan to add an option to format the data in JSON notation.  This should be easily consumed by most languages and tools out there.

Mahound

• THE ONLY time i get screwed is when i play poker!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 04:15:23 PM »
 I'll try to put together an example for an upcoming release.

already! sounds interesting

dniezby

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 09:29:16 PM »
Well, I guess if I were going to use it to do what I thought it would do, I'd simply just like to have it create a stream of messages with updates. I guess it would look like a chat log if someone were to look at it.  After the event, I'd probably say it'd be something to archive and people could review them later or something.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2011, 10:42:49 AM »
 I'll try to put together an example for an upcoming release.

already! sounds interesting

This was the goal once 3.0 was out, to go back to more frequent releases.  The Patch feature is making this less necessary, but I still plan to put out 3.0.1 soon, if nothing else to eliminate bugs that have been patched already (first time users can still run into the bugs since they won't get the patch until at least the second time they run the software).  But there's not much else that will be in the next version.  I'm currently working on updating the user manual.  Then I hope to get back to new features ... ASAP.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2011, 10:43:42 AM »
Well, I guess if I were going to use it to do what I thought it would do, I'd simply just like to have it create a stream of messages with updates. I guess it would look like a chat log if someone were to look at it.  After the event, I'd probably say it'd be something to archive and people could review them later or something.

I'll have to put this down as a new option to the updates.  Perhaps including the tournament history, or any new items in the tournament history since the last update.