Author Topic: Overall Scoring Formula Help  (Read 968 times)

StL Suits

• View Profile
Overall Scoring Formula Help
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:39:08 PM »
In my league players earn what I call "multipliers" by finishing first, second, or third.  First place finishes are worth 3 points, seconds place finishes are worth 2 points, and third place finishes are worth 1 point.  At the end of the season I take the total number of "multipliers" earned and multiply that number by the points received during the season.  The overall result is the amount of additional chips each player will receive at the final table.

I'm looking for a formula that will calculate the total multipliers earned throughout the season.  For example, Player A finishes 1st in tournament 3, second in tournament 5, and third in tournament 7.  This would come out to a total of 6 "multipliers" earned.

The formula should look like this (below), I'm just not sure if it is possible to enter a formula like this that TD will understand.

(First Place Finishes * 3) + (Second Place Finishes * 2) + (Third Place Finishes * 1)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I'm using version 2.5.11.

Thanks!
-Jeff
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:44:16 PM by StL Suits »

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Overall Scoring Formula Help
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »
I know you can pull the information of 1st through 3rd, even all the way down to 10th if you so chose, but to make it into a formula for TD, I'm not sure that it's possible (even with 3.1.1 as I'm using now). My best best would be to use Excel or Open Office Calc or something of the like to do what you're looking for. To make it easier (if that's the route that you end up going), you can export the stats to CSV and convert that over to the spreadsheet to use. For what you're looking to do, you would want Name, points, 1st, 2nd, & 3rd to be on there. I've got a sample file attached to see how you can go about it (Note that the column headings would be what would be transferred over from the CSV import).

Also of note, if I'm understanding what you're looking to do, if I had 2 1st place finishes, a 2nd place, and 4 3rd place finishes, then my mulitplier would be 10, correct? (That's what I'm basing the formula off of, at least.)
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

StL Suits

• View Profile
Re: Overall Scoring Formula Help
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »
Appreciate your response.  I already do exactly what you are describing with excel.  I was just hoping TD would be able to calculate it for me.  Just to be clear, I'm only looking for TD to calculate the total number of multipliers earned, not the additional chips.  Thanks for taking the time to put the spreadsheet together to explain your response. 

-Jeff