Author Topic: Script Error with iFRAME  (Read 4062 times)

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
Script Error with iFRAME
« on: April 02, 2015, 05:26:10 PM »
Original story here: http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=4934.0

Long story short: Google has now changed all of their Sheets to the new format, and the embed code has changed.  I got around it previously, by using the old format of Sheets.  Sadly, I opened up Sheets today and was notified "Congratulations! Your sheet has been upgraded to the new format!".  Yeah, thanks a ton Google!

So I'm getting the following error message for every iFRAME I have in a cell on my layout.... every time it brings up that screen.  I use that layout in a screen set that rotates it in during the tournament, and the error comes up every time the screen comes up in the rotation.  It covers the screen and I have to manually click OK for each dialog/iFrame.

Any chance this has been worked on yet?  Right now I've lost the iFame functionality, since I can't have errors popping up on the clock all throughout the event.

Fingers Crossed.....

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Script Error with iFRAME
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 10:20:41 PM »
In the current-in-development version, it seems the error still occurs, but only if the screen is refreshed.  That is, if the iframe with the Google spreadsheet is already displayed, and the TD re-renders it, then you see the error.  For example, if you've only got the one screen with the Google doc displayed in it, and you press F2 to go to the Tournament screen (which will cause rotation to restart and the screen to re-render), you'll see this error.  But if you're on one of the built-in screens and press F2, you won't see it.  Not sure why this is.  Obvious first thought is that two copies of it are technically on the screen at the same time (with or without transitions, the next screen is rendered while the current one is displayed), but iframes are their own isolated pages, so one shouldn't interfere with another, but it's possible this is the problem.

The newer code has error catching in every place possible, but the error dialog is still displayed.  At this point I'm really not sure what else can be done.  I'll make a note of it so I can do more testing before the release of the next version.

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 06:01:57 PM »
OK, I appreciate you looking into it for me. 

This really sucks, since I run a special format of league where several SNGs are going at once, all using the same clock.  I use Google Sheets to input the results of each game as it progresses, and built a special layout to display the "live" results from the multiple games. 

Any chance TD has something built in that I don't know about, that could handle something like this?  Or even a work-around using something different?

mcfrojd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 04:08:03 AM »
I'm a Google user my self, but maybe you could try Microsoft's Excel, they are online now days to i think in their OneDrive.live.com, i made a quick look and their spreadsheets seems to have a function for embedding the excel file.
Do not know if its a working solution for you, but maybe worth looking at.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 04:34:31 PM »
I have all but confirmed this is because the TD is stuck in IE7 mode.  Might still be possible to suppress the error through some means I've yet to discover.  Life would be so much easier if Microsoft would just update the capabilities of HTAs to bring them into the modern age.

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 05:10:33 AM »
I'm a Google user my self, but maybe you could try Microsoft's Excel, they are online now days to i think in their OneDrive.live.com, i made a quick look and their spreadsheets seems to have a function for embedding the excel file.
Do not know if its a working solution for you, but maybe worth looking at.

I just looked into it per your suggestion.  DLed spreadsheet from Google, ULed to OneDrive, spit out the iFRAME code.  After accepting a cookie dialog box, it came up just fine in TD.  No Errors.

So Corey,  what is it about the Google code that is causing the error?  Is there maybe something I can change in the Google setting on what it is/isn't showing?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 09:00:00 PM »
So Corey,  what is it about the Google code that is causing the error?  Is there maybe something I can change in the Google setting on what it is/isn't showing?

My best guess right now is simply that Google apps/docs/drive are using features of more modern browsers that are not compatible with older browsers.  Google discontinued IE9 support in 2013, if I recall correctly.  So it's no surprise that a Google spreadsheet would fail to properly render in IE7, which is the basic equivalent to rendering within the TD.  From the TD's perspective, there's unfortunately just nothing that can be done at this time.  From Google's perspective, given that they've discontinued support, I doubt there's a switch or setting that can be changed to make this work.

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 06:23:03 AM »

My best guess right now is simply that Google apps/docs/drive are using features of more modern browsers that are not compatible with older browsers.  Google discontinued IE9 support in 2013, if I recall correctly.  So it's no surprise that a Google spreadsheet would fail to properly render in IE7, which is the basic equivalent to rendering within the TD.  From the TD's perspective, there's unfortunately just nothing that can be done at this time.  From Google's perspective, given that they've discontinued support, I doubt there's a switch or setting that can be changed to make this work.

So since TD is based on an older browser, is updating it to enable "using features of more modern browsers" in the development plans at any point?  Or is this just a feature that is going away? 

Have to say, I used this feature tremendously.  THeres nothing like watching busted out players standing around a screen waiting for it to refresh their stats!  It adds a lot to any game I use TD with.

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 04:37:15 PM »
Another issue:

Switcing over to MS's OneDrive and using Ecel Online's embed code.  Its asking me to accept cookies everytime the screen redraws. 

Any way to supress that?

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 05:08:08 PM »

So since TD is based on an older browser, is updating it to enable "using features of more modern browsers" in the development plans at any point?  Or is this just a feature that is going away? 

Have to say, I used this feature tremendously.  THeres nothing like watching busted out players standing around a screen waiting for it to refresh their stats!  It adds a lot to any game I use TD with.

There are no plans because it depends entirely on whether or not Microsoft will update support for HTML applications.  If they would, I would *definitely* update the TD.  I've been waiting for it.  But they don't seem interested, at least not yet.

There are a couple of things holding the TD back, but the main thing is that while the main window CAN use modern browser features, dialogs are stuck in IE7 mode.  There is no way around this that I know of.  Unfortunately, so much of the TD's features and interactions occur in dialogs that it doesn't make any sense to even try to move forward without support for dialogs.  The fact that the TD uses encryption for the code is another thing holding it back, I've only very recently discovered.  This one, however, if it was the only thing holding the TD back from using modern browser features, could be overcome.  It would take a bit of work, but it would be possible, I believe.  It doesn't matter, though, because without dialog support we're stuck in the past.

Believe me, this is a point of serious frustration for me.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 05:09:14 PM »
Another issue:

Switcing over to MS's OneDrive and using Ecel Online's embed code.  Its asking me to accept cookies everytime the screen redraws. 

Any way to supress that?

Have you got the HTML code you can share?  I've not used MS OneDrive before.

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »

Code: [Select]
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=2B6D9CB239B073E5&resid=2B6D9CB239B073E5%21430&authkey=AJz-RlyiIXtWfQU&em=2&wdAllowInteractivity=False&Item=liveB&wdHideGridlines=True" width="380" height="400" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" ></iframe>
Digging around in Win securty settings, but not really familiar with them.

mcfrojd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 02:06:21 AM »

There are no plans because it depends entirely on whether or not Microsoft will update support for HTML applications.

Corey, have you looked at the possibility to use Chromium as a platform instead of IE?
I'm not a huge developer my self so I'm not sure if even possible, but from my understanding the Chromium might be more "open" platform and a bit more "modern".

SPO Director

• View Profile
    • Seattle Poker Open
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 02:44:16 AM »

Code: [Select]
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=2B6D9CB239B073E5&resid=2B6D9CB239B073E5%21430&authkey=AJz-RlyiIXtWfQU&em=2&wdAllowInteractivity=False&Item=liveB&wdHideGridlines=True" width="380" height="400" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" ></iframe>
Digging around in Win securty settings, but not really familiar with them.

Found it. The above issue was solved by relaxing the Windows Security settings, to allow cookies.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 05:42:00 PM »
I had a feeling it would be something like that.  Glad you found it.