Author Topic: Repetitive Sounds for breaks!!  (Read 2856 times)

Mesnik44

• View Profile
Repetitive Sounds for breaks!!
« on: April 06, 2014, 12:23:30 AM »
Hi everyone,

I need a little advice.

PROBLEM 1:
I created a new set of events (breaks and chip up breaks), that play a woman's voice announcing 5 minute break, 10 minute chip up break etc.

This is my logic, (isRound = 0) and (state = 2) and (breakNum = 1). In there I have it triggering 5minutebreak.wav

What is happening is the crazy b*tch wont shut up. It repeats until I go into events and click on omit.

PROBLEM 2:
When I hit the game tab, it takes up to 10 seconds for the screen to change.

PROBLEM 3:
See problem 1, but the screens do not change. So if the last blind level was 500 /1000 and just played the 30 minute round, the break timer comes up, but leaves the "residue" of the last round on screen instead of going to the break screen.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.

As always, thanks in advance,

John.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:26:18 AM by Mesnik44 »

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
Re: Repetitive Sounds for breaks!!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 04:15:53 AM »
Issue 1:
Change the event's trigger to "A Level Starts" at the moment you have it set as "The clock ticks" so whenever a second elapses and its that break TD evaluates the conditions met and carries out the actions.

Issue 2:
Sounds like a PC performance issue to me, perhaps you can post more details, PC ability/number of players in your database/Size & Field of tournament

Issue 3:
I don't know if you mean by "residue" that the screen is burned (very common on older Plasma/LCD screens (especially on high contrast screens) or that your screen is not refreshing ie updating effectively.  If the latter it could be linked to Issue 2, if it's burning/image retention, you should change to a darker layout.

Stu
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 09:02:23 PM »
PROBLEM 1:

Sounds like Stuart probably got it right.

Can you post a screen recording of problem 3 (and problem 2 for that matter)?  That would likely make it a lot easier to diagnose.  On that note, anyone have suggestions for a good screen recorder?  There seem to be plenty if you just google "screen recorder", but I've never personally used any.

Mesnik44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 11:24:31 PM »
Hi Stu,

Problem 1: I will try that

Problem 2: Model   ZBOX-ID81-U running Windows 7, 128 GB Intel SSD.

CPU Integrated   Intel Celeron 857 1.2 GHz Dual-Core
Chipset   Intel HM65 Express
Cooler Type   Fan (Single Slot)
Onboard Video   Intel HD Graphics
Onboard Audio   High-definition analog stereo
Optical Digital S/PDIF output
Onboard LAN   10/100/1000Mbps, WiFi 802.11n/g/b
Memory Size   8GB
Memory Slots   2 x 204-pin SO-DIMM
Memory Type   DDR3 1333 SO-DIMM
SATA   1 x 2.5-inch SATA 6 Gb/s
Video Ports   1 x HDMI, 1 x DVI
DVI   1
HDMI   1
USB Ports   2 x USB 3.0
4 x USB 2.0
Power Connector   DC19V
Package Contents   1 x ZOTAC ZBOX ID81
1 x Power brick & cable
1 x VESA monitor mount (w/4 screws)
1 x Stand
1 x WiFI antenna
1 x Media Remote w/ USB IR receiver

Players in DB 22. Players in tournament 10.

Problem 3: The residue, was a poor attempt at removing geek-speak. I tried to dumb it down, but I went to far. What it is, is the last rounds screen that is left on the screen with the break timer. I have 2 screens. 1 is for rounds and 2 is for break. In this case both are on the screen at the same time.

Thanks Stu!

John.

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 08:06:05 AM »
Ah, right,
Problem 2, IMHO is your nettop's ability.  I had a little Acer Aspire nettop with a second copy of TD on it and it really struggled to cope with the constant demands of TD.  run a mock tournament and open up your task manager's performance dialogue (with the clock running) I am sure you will get your answer there if it is the capability of your nettop, however it may be the graphics chip, the RAM or the processor or a combination of any and all those that can't keep up.

Problem 3, we can narrow down to 2 issues IMO:
a) same as problem 2
b) your conditions for the rounds screen, if your tournament screen returns to normal as soon as the break is over and you start a new round I think this is the most likely.

I'm not entirely sure is this is possible (perhaps Corey can chime in) but I suspect both screens are showing during breaks because the conditions are being met for both screens, this would need changed in the properties of the rounds screen set-up.
Stuart Murray

Mesnik44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 08:13:10 AM »
So here is the thing about the net top.

I've been running tournaments on it for 2 years with out a hitch. Never a single problem. I purposely got the Intel graphics card because this little wonder also subs as a media centre when I want to watch a movie.

With regards to problem 3, again I've run this same tournament without changes, save the ones for the voice overs for the 5 minute breaks for years. I'm going to try your suggestions, and take it one step further....I'm going to replace the computer and see what's going on.

Stu, thank you very much for your time. As always, you have been very helpful. I will update you on this later.

Corey, you are ALWAYS there to help, and that is much appreciated.

John.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »
I've been running tournaments on it for 2 years with out a hitch. Never a single problem. I purposely got the Intel graphics card because this little wonder also subs as a media centre when I want to watch a movie.

Unfortunately this is probably irrelevant as far as the TD is concerned.  The graphics demands of the TD are very small.  It's all 2D and stuff just doesn't change very much, so it's producing probably a near zero load on your graphics hardware.

The issue is IE (not busting IE's chops, it would be the same for any browser).  If the TD used a specific graphics solution, it could do things like ... when the clock changes, update the clock display and nothing else.  This would be very fast.  But the TD uses IE (which allows for very versatile customization), so when the clock changes, IE has to do a ton of calculations trying to figure out what does and what does not have to be re-rendered ... did the clock area get bigger because of the font, did it shift things around on the screen, do I have to re-render everything ... etc, etc.  It can be taxing on the CPU.  I have a desktop i7 3.something GHz quadcore (can't remember the specs) and the only time the TD makes even a noticeable dent is when running full screen a screen transition occurs to or from a complicated layout with lots of cells.  I have a laptop i5 dual core, definitely can't remember the specs, but the TD takes a noticeable amount of CPU when running, even when nothing's really happening (just the clock updating).  There's a big performance difference in the two machines.

When I hit the game tab, it takes up to 10 seconds for the screen to change.

THAT, however, I've not seen.  And I can't imagine why it would happen.  Does it take a long time for the Game tab to display the first time you visit that tab after opening the Settings window?  Does it pause on revisits (without closing the Settings window in between)?

FYI: the Settings window "caches" each tab, so that when you revisit a tab it doesn't have to be re-rendered.  So the first time you click on a tab will take just slightly longer to render then on repeat visits.  But when the Settings window is closed, due to the way IE works those cached tabs go away.  When you re-open the Settings window, each tab has to be rendered again, and you'll notice that slight delay the first time you click each tab again.

Corey, you are ALWAYS there to help, and that is much appreciated.

No worries, that's my job after all.  :)  Seriously, I like to help, and if there's a bug I definitely want to identify and fix it if possible.