Author Topic: Very simple formula needed.  (Read 2125 times)

AmeliaEric

• View Profile
Very simple formula needed.
« on: September 19, 2008, 01:13:05 PM »
I'm sure this will take someone 20 seconds to read and 5 seconds or less to answer:

We have a league with 17 players playing 8 tournaments with 2 drops allowed.  We score simply 1st=17 pts down to 17th=1 pt.  If a player in the league doesn't play in a tournament, he still receives 1 point, so if we have 14 playing, then the 3 players not playing would still get 1 pt each.  What is the formula for this and should it go in stats under tournament scoring or where?   Also, I need a formula to add the total points each player has accumulated and another formula to calculate each players score after subtracting out each players 2 worst finishes/drops.  Under which location would these formulas need to be placed?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Very simple formula needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 09:44:52 PM »
The formula for awarding points is easy: "n-r+1".  This should be placed in the Points for Playing field on the Game tab.

Summing the points across all of your tournaments is also easy: just run stats on the Stats tab and players' points will be summed automatically.

I was going to go into the methods to accomplish the totaling points while dropping the lowest 2, etc, but it occurred to me to ask why.  If you just sum up players points, then why would you drop the lowest 2 tournaments for each player?  This makes sense if you're averaging or doing something of that nature, but if it's just total points, you'll actually be punishing better players.

AmeliaEric

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 04:28:23 PM »
Hi.  The reason for dropping 2 is because not everyone can make each event.  We are only playing 8 events in the season.  We allow 2 drops for everyone.  Would really appreciate the formula for this too if you have it.  Thanks. 

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2008, 12:46:56 PM »
Create a Filter on the Stats tab.  Set the Tournament Score formula to "points".  Set the Overall Score formula to "sum(top(n-2, scores)) + (n - 2 - count(scores))".

The first part, "sum(top(n-2, scores))", sums the player's scores and drops the lowest 2.  The second part, "(n - 2 - count(scores))", awards the player 1 point for any tournament he didn't participate in, excluded the 2 that were dropped.  So if your league has 10 tournaments, and a player plays in 6, he'll get the sum of those 6 tournaments, plus 2 additional points, one for each of the 4 he didn't play in minus the 2 that were dropped.

reakhavok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 02:01:03 PM »
Create a Filter on the Stats tab.  Set the Tournament Score formula to "points".  Set the Overall Score formula to "sum(top(n-2, scores)) + (n - 2 - count(scores))".

The first part, "sum(top(n-2, scores))", sums the player's scores and drops the lowest 2.  The second part, "(n - 2 - count(scores))", awards the player 1 point for any tournament he didn't participate in, excluded the 2 that were dropped.  So if your league has 10 tournaments, and a player plays in 6, he'll get the sum of those 6 tournaments, plus 2 additional points, one for each of the 4 he didn't play in minus the 2 that were dropped.

Corey,
this post actually answers a question that i just posted. but i need a little clarification.  What exactly or rather how exactly do i "Set the Tournament Score formula to "points".   for some reason i can't figure out how to do that..
Thanks!!!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 04:28:43 PM »
On the Stats Filter, press the Tournament Scoring button.  In the "Formula" section, enter "points".  That's it, nothing else, just the word "points" (no quotes).