Author Topic: Change Chop default values?  (Read 5430 times)

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
Change Chop default values?
« on: April 01, 2009, 06:34:02 PM »
Hi,

I'm trying to use the chop dialogue to bust out all players at the end of the tournament, and then assign the top X (9) positions.

When I click CTRL+C Everyone is listed as 1st, which is ok for most. Then I have to go and change everyone to last before setting 1st through to 9th.

Is there a way we can change the default chop position?

I'd like it to be =last not =1st.

Maybe this could be configurable, as a variable.

Regards.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

jeff b

• View Profile
Re: Change Chop default values?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 08:14:57 AM »
Sorry, I don't quite understand the question, but just curious... how big are your tournaments that you end up with 9-way chops?

Karpro

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 08:56:50 AM »
10 players

just kidding

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 10:39:01 AM »
They are satellites.

Today we had a 13 player tournament that chopped at top 9. All the top 9 won entry to the next game, that's how satellites work.

Either way, I dont want to need to bust every single player from the tourney.

say we have 65 players... I want the top 9 in order but not the rest. So what i've found so far the easist way is to chop it then change the value of the chop ranks. But having to change all 65 is a pain. Like to just change the top 9, and have the default value set at my choice of rank. eg: 10.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 11:06:55 AM »
Not sure I understand.  If you've got a 10-player tourney - just an example - and the final 3 chop, you would want all three to get 3rd place?  But they've "tied" for 1st.  If 2 players tied for 2nd place, you'd see players ranked:

1st
2nd
2nd
4th
5th
etc

Or am I just not understanding?

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 11:12:32 AM »
No, i'll try and explain again.

I have a tournament with 55 players.

I want to record the top 9 positions only. Basically because when there is 50+ players, i'm too busy to be worrying about who gets out when etc..

So I keep a notepad of the top 9 players placings (Ranks) and enter these after everyones finished.

What I have found is, the easiest way for me to get to the end fast "Bust out all but top 9" is simply to do a complete chop, then adjust the ranks manually. It sure beats ticking 50 check boxes on the bust out page.

So can I change the default value for the "Chop Rank" to be The next position from last?

Can they all be set to last, then I just change the top 9 to be 9th, 8th, 7th, etc.. When I adjust rank.

As I mentioned, I dont record, or care to record every single position, but I want the top 9 to be awarded points etc according to their position.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
Oh, I see.... this would be very easy if the Relative Ranking inputs allowed negative numbers, right?  Then you could just adjust the 9 top players, giving them a -1 value.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 07:53:30 PM »
I'm not sure with the negative numbers. I tried adding some -1's in some of them but no good. This may be due to it not allowing yet.

Maybe in the preferences there could be a setting "Default chop rank: 1st or last"? I am not sure how you want to handle it, but pretty sure you understand my request now.

I just found another way to do this that's not too bad actually.

I just do a chop and have all players chop, then goto the players tab -> adjust rankings. If I go from 1st down the list and right click -> move up. This then puts everyone at 10th and the ones I move up go from 1st through 9th in order.

I'm happy with that.

Thanks.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
Glad you found a way that works for you.  The negative numbers change will also be in the next planned release.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 10:54:18 PM »
Glad to contribute :)

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 02:19:59 AM »
To expand on this a little.

As mentioned we run satellite tournaments where players still score points for our overall leaderboard.

Now Wednesday we ran a tournament with 35 players and when we got to the top 9 the tournament ended and all remaining players score points for 9th place.

I can do this by awarding the same points for ranks 1 through 9 and then the rest chop for 10th.

What I would like to do is award the rank of 9th for the top 9 as well as the 9th place points. Is there a way to do this?

This is a standard satellite system and not something new, so I'm kinda surprised it hasn't came up previously.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 11:38:32 AM »
There's not a way to do it, mainly because rankings don't really work this way (generally speaking).  If you've got a 3 man race, and racers A and B tie with racer C trailing, then racers A and B tied for 1st place, not 2nd, and racer C got 3rd place (again, not 2nd).

So, in a satellite system, where does ranking matter?  I mean, if it's a matter of awarding points, you can adjust your formula accordingly.  In a serious of tournaments, players will care about average ranking, etc.  But in a satellite, you're working towards a goal where ranking usually only matters in whether or not you get to move on.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 02:44:15 PM »
i have set the formula so points are all the same from 1 to 9 so thats not an issue.

We also record wins and this will credit all 9 with a win but had they played it out may never have won.

One option we could go for is chip stacks for ranks.

If i come up with anything i'll report back.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 03:59:44 PM »
There's not a way to do it, mainly because rankings don't really work this way (generally speaking).  If you've got a 3 man race, and racers A and B tie with racer C trailing, then racers A and B tied for 1st place, not 2nd, and racer C got 3rd place (again, not 2nd).

So, in a satellite system, where does ranking matter?  I mean, if it's a matter of awarding points, you can adjust your formula accordingly.  In a serious of tournaments, players will care about average ranking, etc.  But in a satellite, you're working towards a goal where ranking usually only matters in whether or not you get to move on.

Sorry, that should have been "In a series of tournaments".  :)

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 05:03:52 PM »
the thing is.. the satellites are still a part of our season which is a series of tournaments.

We award a prize for most wins per season. awarding top 9 the win will advantage them too much.

They really didnt rank any better than 9th in our system.

Looks like chip rank will be it though.