Author Topic: Few questions... can this be done?  (Read 3620 times)

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
Few questions... can this be done?
« on: June 01, 2008, 06:42:08 AM »
We run some regular tournaments with 1 rebuy + 1 addon allowed per player max.

Currently we use TD but only have the blinds on the screen but would also like to have the prizes displayed on the screen. I know this can be done, but really don't know where to start.

We have 3 different formats that would need different prize structures the one with rebuys are the one i'd need most help with.

1 - set prizes regularly - this could be done easy enough.

2 - main event - set prizes depending on runners (i have a spreadsheet that handles these values) I'll link it here later so someone interested can have a try at creating a formula if they like.

3 - rebuys - We have $10 entry + $10 rebuy + $10 addon.

With 3, maximum is 1 rebuy + 1 addon per entrant.

We give the top 20% of players a $50 voucher (1 in 5 win these) and surplus cash goes into the cash pool that is generated by the rebuys and addons. All cash pool is split evenly among top 10% of players.

So is there a formula that would calculate 20% of entrants and award them $50 then as the rebuys and addons are entered it will increase the prizes for the top 10% ? can a formula also carry the surplus over?

Example:

43 players @ $10 buyin ($430)

top 8 players win $50 each ($400)

$30 carried over to cash pool which is shared evenly by top 10% which in this case is the top 4 players.

Any rebuy+addon cash will automatically grow the cash pool (top 4 players payout).

Not sure where to start with this...

Another question I have..

We have ordered membership cards with barcodes etc, so we can make things easier, I know we can use them as the ID and goto the add player / enter page and submit the players. But can these also be used to count rebuys ? For example, we scan a members card once, they are registered... then when it's scanned again it (or enter their number) it automatically detects it as a rebuy/addon ?

Is this asking too much, or can it be done already ?

Thanks in advance.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
Re: Few questions... can this be done?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 05:44:58 PM »
Maybe this is in the to hard basket.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 09:05:22 PM »
its not that its too hard, its just going off in a direction I've never thought of before (Its amazing all the different ways people are coming up with to run their tournaments)

As for your third type of tournament, I'm looking at the prize tab and it does not look like you cannot award more than one prize unless you do it manually. I also don't think that you can inject a formula into the prizes

I believe you could do a work around though. Enter in a Points for Playing formula and make one point equal one dollar. Not really sure how though. If its possible to do I'm sure Cory will come up with it. He is the wizard at it

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 06:11:30 PM »
Thanks... i'll keep trying too.

And hope someone else comes up with an idea also.

Here is a link to our main event prizes.. I think it would be easier to enter these in manually after entries have closed.

http://www.pokertalk.com.au/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=3406.0;attach=908

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 01:23:31 PM »
If I understand this correctly, the only way to really do this is to create a custom prize level configuration and use the Automatic Prizes feature to implement it.  A little bit of a pain, but it's a one-time effort.

What you would do is define what the prizes would be for each "level" of players.  Meaning, if you had, say 7 or less players, you will award one $50 prize to 1st place.  For 8-12 players, you award $50 prizes to 1st and 2nd places.  Define these levels all the way up to the largest tournament you expect to have, place this all into a configuration file, and then let the TD do the rest.

While you cannot create a prize that awards both a fixed amount ($50) plus a percentage of the pot (10%), you CAN award two prizes to the same rank.  So, taking the example of 8-12 players, you would create prizes:

1st, fixed, $50
2nd, fixed, $50
1st, percentage, 50%
2nd, percentage, 50%

Fixed-amount prizes are removed from the pot first, then the percentage based prizes are calculated from the remaining pot.  (This is always the way they are calculated - not just because I listed the fixed-amount prizes first above; just want to avoid any confusion around that.)

For 43 players (your example): create fixed-amount prizes of $50 for 1st through 8th places.  Then create percentage-amount prizes for places 1st through 8th with percentages of 100 / 8 = 12.5%.

You'll do this for each "level" of players and enter this into a prize configuration file.  Set the software to use your custom prize configuration file for the Automatic Prizes feature, then turn on Automatic Prizes when you run your tournament.  As players buy-in to the tournament, the prizes will automatically change to reflect the proper payouts.

This all sounds a bit complicated, and it is, but again you'll just need to do this once and you'll be set.  Take a look at the user manual, in the Prizes section, and read about the Automatic Prizes configuration.  I believe this is section 11.8 in the current user manual (version 2.5.3).  That should get you started.  If you get stuck, feel free to continue this thread or email me and I'll be happy to help.

To get you started:

<prizeLevel minPlayers="1" maxPlayers="7">
    <prize rank="1" name="1st Place" percent="100" />
  </prizeLevel>
  <prizeLevel minPlayers="8" maxPlayers="12">
    <prize rank="1" name="{1} Place" fixed="50" shareLeftover="true" />
    <prize rank="2" name="{1} Place" fixed="50" />
    <prize rank="1" name="{1} Place" percent="50" shareLeftover="true" />
    <prize rank="2" name="{1} Place" percent="50" />
  </prizeLevel>

Ugh, I just tried this and it appears it won't work.  The theory is sound, but the configuration file verification is a little over-zealous.  That means that it WILL work, but you have to manually configure it.  When the TD loads the configuration file, it sees that you've awarded two prizes for 1st place (and for 2nd place), and assumes you have made a mistake.  This should be a warning at most, and should not prevent using the configuration file.  I will fix this for the next release.  Sorry!

For the scanner/barcode use: do a search for this in the forums, it has been discussed before.  The short version is to turn on the "Allow Find on player dialogs" preference (on the Preferences tab, Miscellaneous section).  This should enable the Find feature on every dialog in which players are selected, including rebuy and add-on dialogs.  The software obviously won't "automatically" detect anything as an add-on or rebuy.  You'll have to initiate the add-on or rebuy dialog and then scan the card and continue through the dialog.

Sorry for the delay in responding.  The first little Cooper was born and my support time has been compromised!  I may be a little slower in responding over the next few weeks, but I will do everything I can to continue to support the software to the best of my ability.

badbeat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 02:19:30 PM »
Congratulations Corey!

Hope mother and "little Cooper" are well.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 06:00:50 PM »
congrats dude... absolutely worth being put on the wayside... WTG

agromans

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 06:07:29 PM »
Congratulations!!!  You will have so much fun in the years to come.  Capture and enjoy every moment because the time will fly by.  Kids grow up fast.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 09:04:39 PM »
Thanks VERY much for your help.

I too would like to congratulate you on the birth of your 1st child. Congratulations !

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »
Thanks everyone.  Mom and baby are doing well.

johno69: an alternative until I fix the Automatic Prizes issue is to create a set of prizes manually for each "level" and save it as a template.  Then you can just load the appropriate template once everyone has bought in (or as people are buying in if you want).

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2008, 05:51:27 PM »
Cheers... i'm going to have time to play around with it today.