Author Topic: Issue: Add Players to Tournament slow after Windows Update  (Read 14903 times)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Issue: Add Players to Tournament slow after Windows Update
« on: April 28, 2015, 01:44:48 PM »
UPDATE June 13, 2015

This issue has been fixed by Microsoft via KB3058515.  For most people, this will be installed automatically via Windows Updates.  If you don't have Automatic Updates enabled in Windows, I highly recommend doing so.

If you are still experiencing this issue, look at your Installed Updates (Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Installed Updates) and see if KB3058515 is installed.

If not, see if you can force it to install by following the instructions below:

Windows 7
1) Open "Windows Update" by clicking the Windows Start button and typing Windows Update, then clicking "Windows Update" in the results.  This will open the Windows Update control panel applet.
2) On the left, click "Check for updates".  After the check has completed, click the link that says "N important updates are available" (where N is some number of updates).
3) In the "Important" section, look for update KB3058515.  Hopefully it will be there, queued up for install.
4) Press the OK button, then press the "Install updates" button.

Windows 8
1) Press Windows Key + W to open the "Setting Search" screen. Type Windows Update in the search box and click on "View Installed Updates" in the search results.
2) On the left, click "Check for updates".  After the check has completed, click the link that says "N important updates are available" (where N is some number of updates).
3) In the "Important" section, look for update KB3058515.  Hopefully it will be there, queued up for install.
4) Press the OK button, then press the "Install updates" button.

If you don't find KB3058515 in the list of updates to be installed, install whatever updates ARE ready to be installed.  After installing them, reboot and repeat this process.  Sometimes a new set of updates are waiting for the previous updates to be installed before becoming available.

Here is a link to information about KB3058515 : https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3058515

KB3058515 is a cumulative update, and contains several other updates.  Specific to this issue, it contains KB3066267: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3066267

Original post - April 28, 2015

A recent Windows Update appears to be causing issues again with the Tournament Director application.  Specifically, rendering large tables of data can take a long time.  Something that previously took less than a second can now take 30 seconds, 1 minute, or several minutes, depending on the size of the table and the hardware in your computer.

The cause of this issue appears to be KB3038314, delivered via Windows Update.  This was first reported here (http://www.thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=5013.0) on April 17.

SYMPTOMS
Dialogs or Settings window pages displaying many players becomes very slow when rendering (drawing) the page.  For example, the Add Players to Tournament dialog, which typically displays your entire player database.  Or the Database tab of the Settings window, if you have the option to display all players on a single page enabled (pagination is off).  The slow nature of the rendering seems to become obvious when displaying 100 to 200 players.  If your database has fewer players than this, you may not see a problem.

CAUSE
At this time, KB3038314, delivered via Windows Update, appears to be the cause.  KB3038314 was first delivered Apr 14, 2015.

Update: On May 12, 2015, Microsoft released KB3049563 which also included KB3038314.

HOW TO FIX
Uninstalling KB3038314 and KB3049563 has consistently resolved the issue.

Windows 7
1) Open "Installed Updates" by clicking the Windows Start button, clicking "Control Panel", clicking "Programs", and then, under "Programs and Features", clicking "View installed updates".
2) Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall.  You can quickly find the update by entering "KB3038314" in the search field at the top of the window.  Repeat for KB3049563.

Windows 8
1) Press Windows Key + W to open the "Setting Search" screen. Type Windows Update in the search box and click on "View Installed Updates" in the search results.
2) Click the update that you want to remove, and then click Uninstall.  You can quickly find the update by entering "KB3038314" in the search field at the top of the window.  Repeat for KB3049563.

After uninstalling, you will likely be required to restart your PC.

Unfortunately, uninstalling will not prevent Windows from installing the patch again in the future.  To prevent this, follow these steps:

Windows 7
1) Open "Windows Update" by clicking the Windows Start button and typing Windows Update, then clicking "Windows Update" in the results.  This will open the Windows Update control panel applet.
3) In the "Important" section, look for update KB3038314.  Right-click on this update and select "Hide update".  Repeat for KB3049563.

Windows 8
3) In the "Important" section, look for update KB3038314.  Right-click on this update and select "Hide update".  Repeat for KB3049563.

RISKS
KB3038314 is a security fix for Internet Explorer, so uninstalling it means potentially leaving a security issue unpatched.  KB3049563 is more of a bug fix, but since it contains KB3038314 the risk of removing it is the same.

ADDITIONAL INFO
Hopefully Microsoft will resolve this issue in a future Windows Update.  There are additional problems with KB3038314 (a quick Google search will turn up a few), but thus far Microsoft has not provided a fix for any of those issues.

The slowdown seems to only occur for pages/applications that utilize IE compatibility mode.  If IE is in IE10 or "Edge" mode, the problem does not occur.  Unfortunately the TD is "stuck" in compatibility mode, since Microsoft has not updated IE dialogs to move beyond compatibility mode (the TD makes extensive use of modal dialogs).  So, bad news for the TD, and even worse news since this makes it a little less likely Microsoft will fix it.  On the plus side, it appears to be specifically table related.  If I can rewrite the TD's tables to use a different implementation, we may be able to work around this issue completely.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:20:19 PM by Corey Cooper »

BasherQ4

• View Profile
Re: Issue: Add Players to Tournament slow after Windows Update
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 10:26:22 AM »
Same problems occured again after installing several windows updates. Concerned updates attached.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 11:14:30 PM »
It's KB3049563.  Uninstall that one, because it contains KB3038314, which is the update that causes the problem.  For some people the original update (KB3038314) failed to install.  They've fixed the installer and re-released it, with a few others, wrapped up in KB3049563.  I simply have not yet had the time to update this issue with the new information.

itchn4trbl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 06:06:07 PM »
new windows update went in today for me and the problem went away. hopefully this ends this issue

Brent

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:36:08 AM »
Well that's certainly encouraging.  I saw some more updates queued for install on my main PC.  I'll dig in and see if one of them is a fix for this nonsense.  Thanks for the update!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 12:45:35 PM »
Yes!  It looks like KB3058515 is the fix.  It's a cumulative fix and contains KB3066267 which fixes "HTML table content renders slowly in Internet Explorer", which occurs after installing KB3038314 or KB3049563.  So this is a specific fix for the exact issue.

I haven't tested it yet, but I will do so this afternoon and update the original topic with more information at that time.

mm48

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 04:22:21 AM »
Hi,

Will this problem persist with windows 10 ?

thanks

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »
I think by now if you have Automatic Updates enabled, this should no longer be a problem.  I can't say whether or not it will be an issue with Windows 10.  I hope Microsoft doesn't break it again...

mm48

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 05:35:38 AM »
I just load Windows 10, it does not seem to be any problem now