Author Topic: The use of Alternates  (Read 2135 times)

Phaze

• View Profile
The use of Alternates
« on: February 29, 2008, 07:33:47 AM »
ie. http://thetournamentdirector.net/forums/index.php?topic=1115.0

I was looking at this post for alternates and points and I think I may have come up with a suggestion. There are now two post asking about alternates, so maybe this is something that people will see more of in the future.

Right now, TD awards points to individual player when they do something. Player A goes out in the 5th round in third place, he gets points. Player B takes out Player C, and player B gets hitman points and Player C gets points for such and such place.

What if TD could award points to all players still in the tournament? So Player B takes out Player A and 10 points will go to Players B through F as well as an extra 10 points to Player B for hitman. Player A does not get anymore points.

In the formula test area a new plug would be "Current number of players"
The part I'm having trouble getting my head around is how to get an action to acknowledge all players still in tourny

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: The use of Alternates
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 04:01:58 PM »
This is still a function of the player's rank.  Let's say you had 10 players, and every time a player busts out, everyone still in the tournament gets awarded 10 points.

To make this easy, we'll say we have players 1 through 10, and they end up with the same ranking (player 1 ends up 1st place, player 10 ends up 10th place).

We'll also assume no other points are awarded.

So, player 10 will receive 0 points, since he was the first to bust out.  Players 1 through 9 get 10 points when player 10 busts out.

When player 9 busts out, players 1 through 8 get an additional 10 points.  So, at this point player 10 has 0 points, player 9 has 10 points, and players 1 through 8 have 20 points.

And so on.

Final points:

Player 1: 90
Player 2: 80
Player 3: 70
Player 8: 20
Player 9: 10
Player 10: 0

Formula = (n-r) * 10

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 05:30:10 PM »
yeah but if an alternate joins in he will get full credit for how long he stays in, even though he is bumped. I'm just thinking it isn't exactly fair. This is especially true when you got like 10 alternates. Maybe if you could assign a constant in the formula, so that if you are the 10th alternate in, say, 50 players then you would get assigned the number 40 whereas everyone  who started the tourny would get the constant 50. Then write up the formula so that an alternate that didn't play as long doesn't get the full points. Just a thought... I'd never use it anyways, but the idea got stuck in my head

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 04:36:27 PM »
I wonder if a different type of ranking, based on initial buy-in time, would help.  Call it BuyinRank, for instance.  The first person to buy-in would have a BuyinRank of 1, the second person to buy-in would have a BuyinRank of 2, and so on.  Rebuys don't affect it - only initial buy-in order.

So, as an example, if you had a 50-player tournament, with 10 alternates (total of 60 players), you could have something like:

(n-r) * 10 * if(buyinRank <= 50, 1, 0)

This would zero out points for alternates (just as an example).

What this would NOT do is differentiate starters from alternates.  Until there is a complete way to do this, I think you'll never be able to do something like 'award the 2nd place finisher points for 1st place if the 1st place finisher was an alternate'.