Author Topic: Tourney files created in the beta version  (Read 2409 times)

Jaxen

• View Profile
Tourney files created in the beta version
« on: December 27, 2010, 10:20:51 PM »
I'm waiting for the full release to put 2.6 (or 2.6.1, whatever) on my new laptop, so I'm playing with the beta. If I build tournament files for our 2011 season in the beta, will they be good to go in the full release, so I can just copy them into the new data store?

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
Re: Tourney files created in the beta version
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2010, 10:38:56 PM »
should be, yes, but as always, make a backup BEFORE you upgrade. Then, in case the files are lost, you can put them back in the data store.

EDIT: I strongly urge you to fully back up everything before you upgrade from the beta to the full version. Reason being is if you have events created or customized sets, or anything of the like, then you're probably going to lose them in the upgrade, especially the "default" files. I learned this the hard way, but thankfully nothing catastrophic for me.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:03:13 PM by Magic_fubu »
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Jaxen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2010, 10:50:27 AM »
Thanks Magic but I have no backups or defaults, I lost the hard drive in my old laptop and got a new one to start fresh. Our first tournament is in February and I'm rebuilding tournament files and the database in the beta version on my desktop; I want to make sure they'll be fine to use in the full version. When that comes out I'll put it on my laptop and flash drive the files there from the desktop.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »
If I'm understanding you right, you're re-creating everything now, before the February tourney, in beta. Everything you do now should fully transfer over once 2.6 is officially released, but just in case, you should back up anything you create now. I know Corey is wanting to get it released very quickly, but no word yet as to when it will happen. believe it's hopeful for around the new year.
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2010, 10:42:12 PM »
From the results of beta testing, beta 4 is pretty solid.  Although I've changed some stuff for the final 2.6, there will be no file format changes, or anything like that.  Thus, anything you do with beta 4 should work in the final 2.6.  If you're planning to use 2.6, I would just start using beta 4 now.  When the final is [finally] released, just upgrade to it and you shouldn't lose anything.

And just to be clear: upgrading the software does not delete anything.  It *will* overwrite files that are included with the software.  So, in addition to the application itself, files like the default layout (Default.tlo), and the various sample templates, like the SampleRounds.trt, will be overwritten.  Anything you create yourself will not be touched.  This is true even if you uninstall the software.  It won't delete any files that were not originally *installed* with the software.