Author Topic: Hitman, Rebuys  (Read 5372 times)

Radium

• View Profile
Hitman, Rebuys
« on: July 27, 2008, 05:41:40 AM »
When someone rebuys it doesn't give you the option to say who knocked them out (hitman), so to get the hitman points should you bust the player out then when TD asks if they want to rebuy say yes?

Or do you just count the Hits after the rebuy period?

Thanks

Also just on bounties, I'm thinking of introducing them at one of the venues I host, does everyone have to buy a bounty chip, or just the people who want them, How would you work it then? How could you win a bounty chip of some one that doesn't buy one? So I guess everyone would have to buy them...?

Thanks heaps guys

Scotty K

• View Profile
Re: Hitman, Rebuys
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 09:08:23 AM »
1)  Go to the "Preferences" tab, and check the box that says "Allow the selection of hitman when busting players out".  Then when you do the bustout, a menu comes up allowing you to select the busted out person along with the hitman.

2)  Regarding the bounties; you could go either way.  In the tournament that I run, we just introduced the bounty chip; it is an optional purchase at buyin.  You can only win the bounty if the person whom you knock out has one as well; if they don't, then you get nothing for that knockout.  The whole point here is that it is an optional thing.

Of course, the other way to go here is to make it a knockout tournament, whereby everyone gets a knockout bounty for each player they bust.  Just bump up your buyin fee, and designate a portion of it to be dedicated for each knockout.

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »
What gets confusing, Radium, is if you make it optional to buy a bounty and then knowing who would have bounty's or not. One thing that people sometimes use is an object of some kind that can be easily recognizable, like a dealer chip or something similar. That would be your "Bounty Chip" and has to be placed in plain sight in front of the player. When a person with a bounty chip knocks out another player with a bounty chip, that chip is collected along with the knocked-out players chips.

Now here is another decision for ya, once you earn a bounty chip, can it be collected if you get knocked out by someone else or can you cash that one in right away? You could have it that you can't cash the bounty chips in until you get knocked out by someone not in the bounty part, or you get first place. If you get knocked out by another bounty player all the bounty chips you collected thus far gets carried over to the bounty player that knocked you out. The simple way though is that as soon as you get a bounty chip you can cash it in and get your money for it.

There are also the terminator tournaments on PKR where everyone has a bounty chip but when you take someone out you get half of their bounty in money and the other half gets added to YOUR bounty, making you worth more to be taken out... if you take out a few people, the bounty on your head gets huge and people will really start gunning for ya!

Radium

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 02:38:18 AM »
Thanks guys

But I do have select Hitman option enabled" and it comes up only when AI bust them out which I don't normally use until after the rebuy period ends, But this means that People an't getting accredited for busting rebuy players out... Should they? But if someone goes out we let them rebuy for the first hour at one of our venues, when the player loses all his chips I simply use V and rebuy them in, but it doesn't show the hitman, but if I bust them out it would. TD would  then give the option to rebuy in.

Also if someone re brought in before their chips run out then really no one busted them out. So I wouldn't need a hitman then.

But should the player be credited a hit when they bust out a rebuy player? I think so... What do you guys think?

If someone could shed some light or ideas would be great.

I would like to introduce Bounties, but I don't think all players would be keen which would make it harder like Phaze said to monitor.. Hmmm

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 06:57:39 AM »
I think what you are trying to ask is does somebody get credit for being a hitman if his victim rebuys? The answer is normally no, to collect a bounty you have to take him out of the tournament. It shouldn't matter if you hit the V button to rebuy people or if you take them out with the X. There may be exceptions to this rule (like what all house rules are) but I can't personally think of one. :-X

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
I would have to disagree with this.  Why would the hitman, who took the risk, not get credit for busting a player out just because that player later decided to rebuy?  The hitman definitely DID bust the player out of the tournament.  He took all of that player's chips.  That's like a retroactive "screw you" from the rebuying player, and penalizes the hitman.

Why would you allow the loser to penalize the winner?

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:06:22 PM »
I would have to disagree with this.  Why would the hitman, who took the risk, not get credit for busting a player out just because that player later decided to rebuy?  The hitman definitely DID bust the player out of the tournament.  He took all of that player's chips.  That's like a retroactive "screw you" from the rebuying player, and penalizes the hitman.

Why would you allow the loser to penalize the winner?

What he said....

Really, regardless of whether or not the person rebuys, the hitman should get credit for the hit.  In our league, when someone who busts our during the rebuy period gets taken out, they need to turn over their bounty chip to the hitman (only if the hitman also purchased a bounty chip.).  Then when they rebuy, they again have to option of buying ANOTHER bounty chip; this will also add to the bounty pot.

Personally, we don't allow rebuys unless you totally bust out, but I can certainly understand where others would allow rebuys to occur any time their stack falls below a certain level.  In this case, one of two things can happen; someone on the short stack might figure, "Hey, I'm getting kind of low here; I should rebuy now to prevent the bustout," although they are still adding to the overall prize pool.  The other thing that happens is "Maybe I should push with almost anything here, and then if I bust out, no big deal, I'll just do a rebuy."  With that kind of thinking and risk, then the hitman should absolutely be given credit for a collected bounty.  I think you might have some arguments on you hands if you didn't allow the knockout during the rebuy period.

Radium

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 07:27:18 PM »
So Corey, should I use X-bust them out - Select hitman then wait for the dialog box to appear  and rebuy them back in?
Is this a fail safe way? will the box always appear

Thanks  :)

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 11:00:33 PM »
If you have your tournament set up for rebuys during a set period of time, then that is indeed the way to do it.  I do it exactly that way and have had no problems.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 02:32:17 PM »
So Corey, should I use X-bust them out - Select hitman then wait for the dialog box to appear  and rebuy them back in?
Is this a fail safe way? will the box always appear

Thanks  :)

When rebuys are allowed, and the tournament is still within the designated rebuy period (determined by the various rebuy settings on the Game tab), then whenever you bust players out of the tournament, the software will ask you if any of the players who are busting out of the tournament wish to immediately rebuy (so as to keep their current seat).  Yes, the software will always ask you after you've busted players out if any of the busted players wish to rebuy, with the following exceptions:

(1) You've unchecked "Allow rebuys" on the Game tab
(2) None of the players who busted out are eligible to rebuy, based on the rebuy settings on the Game tab
(3) The rebuy period has expired (see below for exception to this)

Once the rebuy period has expired the software will still prompt you, to see if you would like to override the settings and go ahead and rebuy the players.  There is also a "don't ask me this anymore" (or something like that) checkbox on that dialog so you can tell it to stop asking you this.  This is (3) above.

Radium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 01:35:18 AM »
Thanks for you informative reply.

Tried it out last night, works good, a little bit of a process to knock them out then rebuy them back in, but I can handle it.

The next question I have is that I accidentally selected the wrong hitman, my mistake so I brought the player back in that I knocked out and rebusted them out selecting the right hitman.

But I imagine that it would have left the points awarded to the incorrect hitman, how to I get around that?

The next issue I have is that sometimes people don't tell me when they are knocked out, this happened on Sunday and as everyone is playing for points, it was important to get it right. I was just going to adjust his points but that meant everyone else's would need adjusting also, so what I did was I tried to find out where abouts he went out and I brought all the players that had busted out back in then took him out then re busted them out.

Is there an easy workround for thi? Does anyone else have problems with players not telling them they busted out?

Thanks again guys

Phaze

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 06:28:57 AM »

The next issue I have is that sometimes people don't tell me when they are knocked out, this happened on Sunday and as everyone is playing for points, it was important to get it right. I was just going to adjust his points but that meant everyone else's would need adjusting also, so what I did was I tried to find out where abouts he went out and I brought all the players that had busted out back in then took him out then re busted them out.

Is there an easy workround for thi? Does anyone else have problems with players not telling them they busted out?

You have to explain to them that it is important for them to get those points and if they don't claim the takeout on the TD right away then they miss those points. It is the same as if you realized that a player had a better hand then you thought they did but realized after few hands have been played, you can't go through and try to give chips back. Once the players start missing out in points they will be a lot more vigilant on this issue.

Another thing we did is at the start of the tournament the person sitting in the number 1 spot (the first dealer of the game) is designated as the dealer. Thereafter it is that person's duty to collect buyins, rebuys, addons, sort out chips for those as well as chip ups and to knock out people on the computer. If he gets knocked out the duty's pass over to the next person

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 10:13:59 AM »
Agree with phaze

Up to the player that knocks someone out, they have won the points, they have to make sure they get them.
No way can you rely on the person that has been knocked out.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 10:56:56 AM »
I like Phaze's answer as well.

However, as far as the software goes, of course you can correct these situations, in several ways.

First, if you've busted a player out with the incorrect hitman, you can correct this in 2 ways, one of which is better than the other.  First, you can always UNDO the bust-out, then bust the player out again, choosing the correct hitman.  This is usually fine if you've discovered your mistake immediately after the fact.  However, it has consequences if other players have since busted out of the tournament (ie, rankings won't be correct).  The second way to fix this is to simply go to the Players tab, and edit the busted-out player.  On the Edit Player Dialog, in the Tournament History section, you should see the player's bust-out.  Edit that action and you can select the correct hitman there.

As for players who fail to let you know that they've busted out, probably the best (maybe the only) way to fix this is to simply bust them out when they tell you.  Then go to the Players tab and press the "Adjust Rankings" button.  Here you can adjust the time that the player busted out, thereby fixing the rankings.

Note that depending on when the player informs you of their bust-out, you may not be able to select the correct hitman when you then bust that player out (their hitman may have since also busted-out).  That's OK, just don't select a hitman.  Then adjust the rankings, as described immediately above.  After that, edit the player as described at the top of this post.  Now that the player's "bust-out" is set to the correct time, the list of players from which you can choose a hitman will have changed to fit that time in the tournament, and you should be able to select the correct hitman.

Might be a bit painful, and might give more incentive to implement Phaze's answer.  :)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 11:01:57 AM by Corey Cooper »