Author Topic: Points formula using "in the money" as a variable  (Read 4027 times)

OO7Ian

• View Profile
Points formula using "in the money" as a variable
« on: October 22, 2006, 09:11:11 PM »
Hello there,

I'm looking to see if anyone can give me some assistance in "automating" my points formula.  My points formula currently needs to be manually adjusted whenever there is a change in the amount of players that place in the money. 

For example, if there are 3 money winners, my formula would look like this:
round((n-r+1)*(n-r+1)/n*100+n*25/3*max((3-r+1),0))

If there are 4 money winners, my formula would be this:
round((n-r+1)*(n-r+1)/n*100+n*25/4*max((4-r+1),0))

I would love to be able to find a formula that would automate this, so that I didn't have to manually change these numbers when there is a change in money winners.  I have been trying to use the "in the money" (m) variable, but I can't seem to put together something that will work for me.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Points formula using "in the money" as a variable
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006, 12:11:46 PM »
I'm thinking that it might not be possible with what is currently provided in the variables for Points for Playing.

Your formula would need an additional variable, say "mr", which would represent the lowest rank that received a ranked prize.

I'm curious though, why the added boost to money winners?  Your formula is already exponential, so the top players receive a good amount of points more than lower-ranked players.  The addition of points to the money winners makes the curve steeper, but it doesn't seem like it would be too significant.  Besides, the money winners already got something the others didn't: money!

OO7Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006, 12:40:15 PM »
Thanks for the input, at least I know I'm not crazy when I thought I couldn't do it.

As for the extra bonus for money winners...
When I developed the league, I talked to the members and they had said that they would like to get a point bonus for finishing in the money.  We wanted to be able to give a little separatation between players in the money and those that bubble out.  This way, a player who is in the money gets the benefit over the one who constantly makes the final table, but can't "seal the deal".  The player who is the lowest "in the money" finisher only gets his buy-in back, so it is a little extra bonus for that player as well.

We finished off our first season with this point format and everyone loved it.  It's a large scale, but it eliminates ties and it is still very competitive.  In our last event of the season, we had 6 players legitamately competing for the last 2 seats for our Main Event (seats are earned by points awarded throughout the season).  3 of the 6 finished in the money with the top 2 taking the seats.  As players busted out of the tournament, everyone stuck around to watch the drama.  It was pretty cool!

Anyways, thanks for the help again.  TD is great and my league wouldn't be the success it is without it!

AFroats13

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006, 08:41:33 AM »
007Ian,

I am running into a similar problem because I have a similar setup as far as point payout.  We have significantly smaller fields, but I do adjust how many are in the money based on number of players and those who finish in the money get the added bonus of more points for the same reason -- the last place money finisher only gets his/her money back.  In addition, any player that plays gets at least one point, making it detrimental to miss one of the tourneys in the season, and also giving the winner more points based on how many people actually played.  Here are the formulas I use (courtesy of Corey) to take a look at to maybe get some ideas??

For paying 5:
=IF(r=1,(n-r)+7,IF(r=2,(n-r)+5,IF(r=3,(n-r)+4,IF(r=4,(n-r)+3,IF(r=5,(n-r)+2,(n-r)+1)))))

For paying four:
=IF(r=1,(n-r)+6,IF(r=2,(n-r)+4,IF(r=3,(n-r)+3,IF(r=4,(n-r)+2,(n-r)+1)))))

For just paying three:
=IF(r=1,(n-r)+5,IF(r=2,(n-r)+3,IF(r=3,(n-r)+2,(n-r)+1)))))

OO7Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2006, 09:05:08 AM »
Thanks for the input Afroats13.

A question I have for you though is do you have to enter a different formula into TD each time you are going to have a different number of money winners?

If yes, then it is the same situation I am having.  I'd like to have a variable that would know the number of money winners instead of having to manually change it each time.  I'm not sure one exists currently though.

If you don't need a different formula each time, then could you give me more details?

AFroats13

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2006, 09:10:58 AM »
Yes, unfortunately... I am having the EXACT same problem as you.... I just have three base tournaments saved with those three formulas.  When I need to start a new one, I load whichever tournament has the right formula, then save it as something different before I begin

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2006, 10:51:45 AM »
FYI, this is one of the issues I've been attempting to solve.  I've been mulling the best way to be able to save your formulas independently.  Then on the Points for Playing dialog, you could either select a saved formula, or enter one of your own.  Still working this out...

OO7Ian

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2006, 01:55:51 PM »
Thanks Corey,

For the record, this is just a small inconvenience and, in the grand scheme of things, really not a big deal.  But if you could work your magic and get it into TD, that would be awesome.

AFroats13

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006, 03:16:31 PM »
Corey,

Could we use a modified formula, such as "MAX(r)" to have TD determine to number of players?  Then use IF formulas?
EX: To distinguish between paying 5 with more than 12 players, and paying4 with 12 or less

If(MAX(r)>12,
    IF(r=1,(n-r)+7,IF(r=2,(n-r)+5,IF(r=3,(n-r)+4,IF(r=4,(n-r)+3,IF(r=5,(n-r)+2,(n-r)+1))))),
    IF(r=1,(n-r)+6,IF(r=2,(n-r)+4,IF(r=3,(n-r)+3,IF(r=4,(n-r)+2,(n-r)+1))))))

Would this work, theoretically?  (At work, not on computer that has game installed.... shhhh!  ;))

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006, 03:45:45 PM »
I'm afraid I don't follow you.  The max function returns the maximum of 2 numbers; eg, max(2,10) returns 10.  What is it supposed to do in your formula?

AFroats13

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006, 03:49:35 PM »
good point.... it was just an idea that had hit me on my lunch break!   ;D  It was supposed to return the largest rank assigned in the tournament

_Hithere_

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2006, 12:39:18 AM »
If you are basing the number of paid places on the number of entrants, you can duplicate that decision tree into a single more complex points formula:

1 way to do this say 10 players means 2 paid spots, and more than 10 means 3:
If(n>10,...input 3 places formula here..., ...input 2 places formula here...)

You can also assign the bonus points right in the prizes without the formula which should add them to the money winner's point total.  (I haven't tried this because I just use the pointe in the prizes without a formula.)

Incidentally, you can do this for all places that you want to have points and make the prizes not display.