Author Topic: A couple of glitches?  (Read 4144 times)

tandemrx

• View Profile
A couple of glitches?
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:38:30 PM »
Corey,

Not sure if these are glitches or not but ran into them today:

1.  If I am not in full screen mode and I close TD by clicking on the "X" close program button (upper right hand corner) it gives me a warning of "are you sure you want to navigate away from this page blah blah blah" and it give you the option of

OK or Cancel

The cancel is supposed to leave you at the same page (TD shouldn't close?) when in fact the program does close whether or hit OK or cancel

2.  If I go to the database table and right click on a player to delete them from the database I get a message "are you sure you want to delete Player John Doe?"  and then another message below it which says "This will permanently delete this league"

Should it say "this will permanently delete this player"??

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of glitches?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:28:55 PM »
1 - Not sure why this happens for you, but it doesn't for me.  If I click "cancel", the Tournament Director does NOT exit.

2 - Yeah, this is just a typo - already fixed for the next version.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 01:01:19 PM »
It only happens for me when I am not in full screen mode.

If I am in full screen mode, then I get a close message of "are you sure you want to quit?  Yes  No" and if I choose no, it goes right back to TD screen.

If I change my preference so that it is no longer full screen mode, then when I click on the "X" to close the program I get the message:

"are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?

Please be sure you have saved your current tournament before exiting.  Press  OK to exit, or Cancel to return to The Tournament Director.

Press OK to continue, or Cancel to stay on the current page.

OK     Cancel"

So, given this message, TD closes whether I click OK or Cancel.

bylars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 01:11:28 PM »
FWIW, It doesn't happen to me when I hit cancel when I'm not in full screen mode.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 11:41:30 AM »
Again, not sure why that happens.  The reason there are 2 different messages, depending on whether or not you are in full-screen mode or not, is that IE prevents code from having too much control.  This is most likely based on out-of-control scripts and web sites that do bad things.  Much like how pop-up blockers prevent pop-ups from occurring unless they are a direct result of the user initiating them.

When you are in full-screen mode, you don't get a standard windows close button (because you don't see the standard windows "chrome" - that's the title bar and edge around the window).  So the close button (X) that you see in the upper-right corner is actually a button that the TD puts there.  When you click that close button, or the "Exit" button on the Game tab, you're basically telling the TD that you want to exit, and it is able to react appropriately.

In window mode, when you click the standard windows close button, IE informs the TD that you've pressed that button, but does NOT allow the TD to decide whether or not to actually exit - it leaves the choice to the user.  So, the TD does the most appropriate thing - asks the user to save the tournament if changes have occurred, and then tells IE to NOT exit immediately, but give the user the option.  That's the "Are you sure you want to navigate away from this page?" message.  At this point, it's all Internet Explorer - the TD has no control.  If you press OK, it should exit.  If you press Cancel, IE should NOT exit.  But regardless, it is out of the TD's hands.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 12:34:57 PM »
Interesting, and interesting that I get a different set of actions than bylars.

I don't think it will matter as I usually use TD in full screen mode, but I better check to see if it will still occur in non-fullscreen mode if I actually have a tourney running (ran into this accidently when i was just looking at the help file for something).

If it happens after the tourney has already started (something has changed), then I will have to make sure to only use full screen mode during a tourney as I would hate to accidently click the "X" button and lose my tourney.

I will also check this with my laptop (where I usually run tourneys) and see which behavior happens (closes or doesn't with cancel).

I noticed this on my desktop (newer, faster computer, with up-to-date IE, as opposed to laptop which is Win98 with IE 6.0 or whatever the latest IE version is that is supported on Win98).

I will let you know what I find out.

thanks

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »
tandemrx - this just started happening to me.  If I close the TD using the Windows X button (not in full-screen mode), the TD exits whether or not I press OK or Cancel.  This might be an IE7 issue, going to do a little more checking on this.

tandemrx

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 05:30:27 PM »
HA!

Now they can take me out of the straight jacket and I get to go home from the loony bit (I have been typing with my nose since they put me away in November when I reported this mystery issue). ;)

I wonder if it was in some IE7 update or something - I never know when I get updates as I have them set to install automatically these days.

I am quite sure this does not happen on my laptop where I have IE6 because Windows 98 won't support IE7.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 10:21:19 AM »
It started happening on a new machine that already had IE7 on it.  I updated from IE6 to IE7 on one of my PCs that did not exhibit this problem and it started happening.  However, on a third machine that already had IE7, it does not happen.

So, I've got:

1 IE6: no
1 IE7: yes
1 IE6 upgraded to IE7: yes (but didn't when it was IE6)
1 IE7: no

I don't think this would convince a jury just yet...  I'll keep looking.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 02:32:28 PM »
OK, did some research and it appears this is an IE7 bug.  There is no known workaround, and the earliest report I saw for this bug was over a year ago.  It appears it is unlikely to be fixed any time soon.  :(