Author Topic: version 2.3.4&5 lock up after doing stats  (Read 1804 times)

_Hithere_

• View Profile
version 2.3.4&5 lock up after doing stats
« on: July 23, 2007, 12:47:17 AM »
I have been running 2.2 for a while and doing stats with no problems.  I wanted some of the new features of 2.3.5 so I upgraded.  Now every time I run stats, I get the dreaded "a script on this page is causing IE to run slowly . . . " message.  Waiting doesn't seem to help.  Basically the software is locking up after refreshing tourneys. (Happens after clicking done when refresh is complete, so it is probably something in how the stats page is displayed.)  I also noticed that the default stats option has my leagues grayed out as well, and I have to run a named search, but I don't know if they are related issues or not.

Thanks,

skelly82

• Shark-stats admin
    • View Profile
    • Shark Stats
Re: version 2.3.4&5 lock up after doing stats
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 04:21:18 AM »
I too have noticed this problem, I am runnig IE 6.
Shark-stats.co.uk online poker league management - no programming needed just great stats everytime

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: version 2.3.4&5 lock up after doing stats
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:12:50 AM »
This isn't actually a "lock-up".  If you select the option to continue (allow the script to continue running), everything will work fine.

This is due to a Microsoft Internet Explorer script "feature".  It is designed to prevent a web page from locking IE up by entering into an infinite loop.

When you visit a web page that contains Javascript (and a vast majority now do), that script code doesn't typically run "all the time".  Meaning, it will run just after the page completes loading, when you exit the page, or when you click on something on the page, or even when you just hover the mouse cursor over an item on the page.  Something triggers the code to be run, Internet Explorer runs the code, and when it is done control is handed by to IE.  While the code runs, your browser is typically unresponsive, but that's OK because usually the code runs for just an instant.

If the code were to go into an infinite loop (and thus never stop running), then IE would "lock up"; it would remain in that unresponsive state.  To prevent this, Microsoft added a "feature" that simply limits how many instructions that code is allowed to perform at any given time.  If it exceeds this (arbitrary) threshold, IE intervenes, putting the code on hold, and asking you if you want to allow the code to continue.  This is the dialog message you see in the Tournament Director.  This "feature" should be disabled for HTML applications (which the TD is), but for whatever reason this appears to have been overlooked.

On the TD Stats page, a lot of code is being executed in order to compute stats.  (This is, of course, dependent on how many tournaments you have.)  Obviously, the threshold is being reached.  All you need to do is allow the code to continue.

Luckily, Microsoft provided a way to get rid of this entirely.  Well, sort of.  The default threshold is 5,000,000 (meaning 5 millions instructions are allowed to execute before IE intervenes).  You can increase this threshold if you want and effectively do away with the warning.  Follow the instructions in this Microsoft Knowledge Base article if you want to do this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;175500