Author Topic: update  (Read 3526 times)

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
update
« on: January 23, 2009, 11:52:22 AM »
just loaded latest update.

I have lost everthing, games,templates that i have made, everything since may 2008.
How strange is this.

HELP

I have a game tonight, with all my blinds advertised but no template, should have done a back up.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: update
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:52:24 PM »
They are not lost, they are still there.  This is due to the way Vista virtualizes data written to the Program Files folder.  The TD has always saved data in the "install" folder by default.  Technically, this isn't a good thing to do.  In Vista, the system re-routes those writes to a different location (if User Account Control is enable, which it usually is, and you haven't modified the TD shortcut to "Run as administrator").  The latest version of the TD (2.5.5) requests the proper privileges to be able to write data there (which is why it now gets the security pop-up when you run it).  So, now the TD is looking somewhere else for your database, saved tournaments, etc.

I'm working on version 2.5.6, which will include the option to create and manage "Data Stores".  So you can have several locations where you have a player database, and saved tournaments, templates, etc.  This will make it easy for users like you who install the new version and suddenly see everything "gone".  You can simply tell the TD to look in "C:\Users\<your login name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2" for your data instead of "C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2".  Voila - everything's back.

In the meantime, you can follow these instructions to work around this:

1) Make sure you've exited the Tournament Director software
2) Open Windows Explorer.  On the Windows Start Menu, select All Programs -> Accessories -> Windows Explorer
3) Navigate to folder "C:\Users\<your login name>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2".  Make sure to replace "<your login name>" with the login name you have used to login to Windows
4) Select all files and folders in this folder.  To do this, click the first item in the list of files.  Then hold down the Shift key and click on the last item in the list
5) Press Ctrl+C to copy the files and folders (hold down the Ctrl key and press the C key)
6) Navigate to folder "C:\Program Files\The Tournament Director 2"
7) Press Ctrl+V to paste the copied files and folders.  Answer "Yes" to write over (replace) any existing files.

Start the Tournament Director again.  Your player database, and all saved tournaments and templates should be visible again.

Sorry for the inconvenience ... I'm working hard to get 2.5.6 done.

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 07:24:47 AM »
Thanks Corey

As always super fast and great response.

Think I panicked a bit, will try out your remedy later.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 10:54:08 AM »
I HATE VISTA  I HATE VISTA  I HATE VISTA  I HATE VISTA  I HATE VISTA

OK, I tried to follow your instructions Corey,

I only got to c:\users\my login then could not find the appdata.

here is my screen shot.

MyasisDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 11:13:47 AM »
Macacan, as I look at your screen shot, I have to ask...who's Denise?  Nevermind. 

I'm  trying the same thing and getting the same result, there is no AppData that I can find. 

I'm also having Vista (henceforth identified as Bitcha) asking me if I want to allow TD to access my computer every time I open the file.  I'm a windows idiot, so if you could assist on this, I'd appreciate it.

Here's hoping for TD for Mac.

simpleman56

• View Profile
AppData folder
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:57:21 AM »
Hey guys,  the AppData is a hidden folder. To see it go to your Control Panel. Click on Folder Options. Click on View Tab. Scroll down to "Show hidden files and folders". Click to select that option.  Good Luck

MyasisDragon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 01:07:32 PM »
Thanks, Simple.  Just an fyi for anybody else doing this, I had to click "Classic View" once I get to the control panel.
Everything restored.  Thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 01:13:52 PM by MyasisDragon »

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: AppData folder
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
Hey guys,  the AppData is a hidden folder. To see it go to your Control Panel. Click on Folder Options. Click on View Tab. Scroll down to "Show hidden files and folders". Click to select that option.  Good Luck

Thank you.  For years I have always set "Show hidden files and folders" on every computer I use, and thus it didn't even occur to me that it was a hidden folder.  Sorry guys.