Author Topic: Starting a Poker League...where do I begin?  (Read 1663 times)

rudedawg

• View Profile
Starting a Poker League...where do I begin?
« on: September 04, 2009, 04:21:53 AM »
Hey guys, I just downloaded the td software a few weeks ago and used it for an 18 player tournament...every1 loved the software and the setup....many of us left the tourney wanting to set up more (tourneys)... I want to start a poker league but I'm not sure how to start one and what is needed....i've spent a good 4 hours reading checking out the forums.....found some excellent background templates ....and found great ideas on trophies....but I need some guidance as to how they are run and what is needed.....any help is very much appreciated....tks
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:25:34 AM by rudedawg »

Bioniclad

• View Profile
Re: Starting a Poker League...where do I begin?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2009, 04:20:50 PM »
pretty simple really. all you will need a points formula. and a plan for awarding the trophy. like a points champ or a championship game.

i run mine this way.

we play 9 "points" games. 1 a month. the points you earn are multiplied by 10 and that is your starting stack for the championship game.

we also start the title game early and have longer blind levels 45mins not the normal 20mins. works well for our group.

we do a $20 buy in for the monthly game. breaks down like this $13 for the monthly game, $7 goes to the championship prize pool. we get trophy's for the top 3 paid out of the prize pool. the title game is a sort of a free roll with everyone having already paid some kind of buy in.

sorry for the helter skelter way of posting this. just  ask if you need more specific info.

sass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2009, 08:09:35 PM »
If you go to www.sassleagueofpoker.webs.com you can get an idea of what I do for my league.  I am just about to start season 2 and the website is a new addition.  Everyone loved the format last year.  Once you get onto the website click on the rules tab and you can see how it is all set up.

Cheers and good luck.

Sass

Scotty K

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2009, 09:16:23 PM »
I would very strongly suggest visiting www.homepokertourney.com.  There you will see all kinds of league setups and you can get plenty of ideas on how to put your league together.  A very valuable resource!

FourAcesPoker

• Big Slick "The Hitman"
    • View Profile
    • Four Aces Poker
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 12:46:32 AM »
I agree with Scotty on this one. homepokertourney is where i got some of my info when i started out. TD did the rest. i have a page on my website giving the "formulas" that i use. where i play it's not legal to "social gamble", so we contribute to a trophy fund to give out trophies at the end of the seasons.

www.freewebs.com/fouracespokernwindiana

"Points System" page

check it out!
Big Slick "The Hitman"
Certified Tournament Director
Tournament Directors Association
Four Aces Poker
"Can you beat Four Aces?"

macacan

• View Profile
    • Chorley Poker League
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 01:17:37 AM »
You can check out my league rules and points here, http://www.chorleypokerleague.com/

One thing I would say is, get your league up and running, put all your effort in to the basics for your league, start with the basic TD just change things to suit you.
You can always work on getting the TD outlay and everything as you go along.

One big thing in running home games, get the house rules set out, make sure all players are aware of them, then never vary away from them.
You will find early on players make mistakes or do things wrong, best to punish these every time, after a while your games will run like clock work with no disputes.
On my site you will see a page for "league format" at the bottom are some rulings that I brought in, you might think they are harsh, but all my players know
them and abide by them.

Good luck.

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)