Author Topic: Screen Flashing when Tournament Starts  (Read 14545 times)

Alvisar

• View Profile
Re: Screen Flashing when Tournament Starts
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 09:33:18 PM »
I actually like the black background now instead of having the picture that I had.  The "info" on the screen displays better because of the contrast between the black background and white timer, blinds, etc.  Nice and clean.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2011, 01:55:15 PM »
Thanks, Microsoft!  :-)

GreenTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2011, 12:28:49 AM »
I actually like the black background now instead of having the picture that I had.  The "info" on the screen displays better because of the contrast between the black background and white timer, blinds, etc.  Nice and clean.

But that's not a solution (only a workaround). I like my background and have no plans to change it. Hopefully Corey will come up with a proper solution!

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2011, 09:19:38 AM »
No, I won't, because this is not a Tournament Director bug.  It's an Internet Explorer bug.  You are using a *beta* version of Internet Explorer.  It will (and obviously does) have bugs.  This will most likely be resolved when IE9 is officially released.  If it does not, then I'll look into the TD possibly working around the bug.

GreenTurtle

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2011, 10:11:07 AM »
Nope, not using IE9 Beta, I've have IE9 Final installed .....

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »
Uh, nope, IE9 has not been officially released yet.  You may have the RC version, but as the name implies, it is a Release *Candidate*.  It is not the official final version.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2011, 10:18:57 AM »
Just as a followup: because the TD is hosted within IE, there is very little that the TD can do that cannot be done on a web site (some, but not much), so any problems that one sees with IE within the TD will also be a problem on a website that happens to use the same IE feature.  Thus, Microsoft has every incentive to fix these issues.  There were similar issues with IE7 and IE8 and the TD, if I recall correctly, all the way up to the RC versions.  When the final version was released, the issues were resolved and the TD continued to work just fine.  I'm crossing my fingers this will be the case with IE9.

Double Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2011, 10:09:05 PM »
Any updates on this issue?  My TD started the flashing this last weekend also.  And yes, I downloaded and installed IE9 which was just published last week.

It seems the flashing may be at one second intervals that sync with the clock.  I can get it to stop by bringing up the menu, clicking one of the tabs and then clicking the Tournament button at the top.  It just randomly starts doing this.  So far, I have been able to get it to stop but it is annoying.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 10:47:49 AM »
Honestly I was expecting to hear from someone by now as to whether or not this was still an issue, and had assumed that no news was good news.  I began the process of upgrading one of my browsers to IE9 for testing but I've had some unexpected difficulties with the VM I need to use.  I've also had a family emergency this past week which has severely limited my time.  What version of the TD are you using?

Alvisar

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 11:23:38 AM »
I still have the Flashing issue if I leave the image as a background. 

IE9 RTM version 9.0.8112.16421
TD: 2.6.b4

Alvisar

Double Eagle

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2011, 12:13:54 PM »
Honestly I was expecting to hear from someone by now as to whether or not this was still an issue, and had assumed that no news was good news.  I began the process of upgrading one of my browsers to IE9 for testing but I've had some unexpected difficulties with the VM I need to use.  I've also had a family emergency this past week which has severely limited my time.  What version of the TD are you using?

I am using the current version, 2.5.11.

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2011, 10:43:17 PM »
Thanks everyone.  As suspected this issue happens due to the TD setting the background properties on each screen update (which is at least once per second, sometimes more).  IE typically does not care if the visual properties of an element are updated to the same value, so the TD sets the screen's background image properties on every screen update, even if the properties haven't changed.  There's nothing wrong with doing this, and it has never caused a problem before.  IE9, for whatever reason, removes the background image and then re-renders it when you set the background image to the same value as it is currently set to (at least sometimes; in my brief testing and from your shared experiences, it doesn't appear to do this consistently).  That's why it appears to "flash" - the background color (white) is displayed for a second and then the background image is rendered again.  I fixed this by explicitly only setting the background properties when necessary.  It will be in 2.6 beta 5.

D71J

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2011, 06:03:07 AM »
It seems this issue hasen't been resolved yet. Haven't used TD for a while (2 months), started using it again and
immediately the screen starts flashing when I run a tournament. Any solutions?

Best regards,

Dave

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »
It's completely fixed for me, and I've heard of zero issues since releasing version 2.5.12.  What version of the software are you using?

D71J

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2011, 12:51:35 PM »
I'm running 2.5.11 version. Wanted to update but it seems I have to pay again
to get the 3.0 version.

Best regards,

Dave