Author Topic: First Time seeing this  (Read 1325 times)

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
First Time seeing this
« on: September 21, 2012, 08:28:13 PM »
Seat 4 and Seat 10 were both marked unavailable on Table 17. 2 players were registered but not bought in (16-10 and 17-2).
Suggest Movement was red and when I clicked on it an unusual message came up

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
Re: First Time seeing this
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 08:40:36 PM »
I remember having this message before and thinking when it popped up, "ah, that's because x is x" dammed if I can remember why though now!!  Sorry not much help tonight!
Stuart Murray

Corey Cooper

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 08:49:16 PM »
It means basically what it says: according to the "balance test", the tables are out of balance.  But the balance algorithm cannot figure out how to move players in such a way as to balance the tables.

The "balance test" is very straightforward.  It simply takes the number of players seated at the table with the most players and subtracts the number of players seated at the table with the fewest players.  If this difference is greater than the "player disparity" setting (configured on the Tables tab, but defaults to "1"), then the software thinks the tables are out of balance.

Since Table 16 and Table 12 both have 10 players seated, and Table 17 only has 8, there's a difference of 2 players between Tables 16 and Table 17, as well as between Table 12 and Table 17.  So the player disparity is 2, which is greater than the configured maximum disparity of 1.  This triggers the flag that tables are not balanced.  However, with the two empty seats on Table 17 marked as Unavailable, the balancing algorithm cannot move players such that the "balance" test is satisfied.  So the software is essentially throwing its hands up and saying "I can't figure out what to do to make this balanced."

Make one of those unavailable seats available and the software will figure things out...

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 06:59:37 AM »
Reading Corey's post has reminded me! I just accept player movement suggestions during tournaments to keep the table count correct, special needs players had been assigned a number 4 or 5 seat on several tables and locked in as I usually do a draw, then a redraw for tournaments in the >80 zone before displaying the seating chart as I feel it gives a more random draw, during the tournament once we were getting down in numbers those names were still locked in so TD could not figure out how to balance due to the locked seats.
Stuart Murray