Author Topic: Minumum Raise in No Limit Texas Hold'em  (Read 24010 times)

rbauman

• View Profile
Minumum Raise in No Limit Texas Hold'em
« on: January 06, 2010, 08:22:00 AM »
Can anybody tell me where it is written that pre flop, the minimum raise or bet, in No limit Texas Hold'em Tournaments has to be equivalent to double the big blind. I've searched the internet, I can find alot of info on raises once a bet has been made but can't find it written in regards to pre flop raises. I need it to be some sort of official site such as WSOP, Tournament Directors of America, World Poker Tour or at least something resembling something official.

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
Re: Minumum Raise in No Limit Texas Hold'em
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 08:32:42 AM »
I took this from the TDA rules and use it for our rule book in my league.

No short bets - To raise you must state “RAISE”. Your RAISE must be at least equal to the previous RAISE.
The first raise (pre-flop) must be double the big blind. All raises after must be at least equal to the
previous raise. On all betting rounds, first to bet must bet equal to or greater than the big blind,
first raise must be double or greater than the first bet, unless player is all in.

Will try and fine reference.
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Johno

• View Profile
    • The Poker Leaderbaord
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 08:39:30 AM »
Roberts Rules: http://www.homepokertourney.com/roberts-rules-of-poker.htm

Betting and Raising.

6. Any wager not all-in must be at least the size of the previous bet or raise in that round

Considering the Big Blind is a forced bet by 2 left of the dealer, the minimum raise, if you are 1st to raise is the size of the Big Blind. From that point on, the minimum raise is the size of the previous raise.

So for example...

Player A - BB  1000

Player B - Raises to 2000

Player C - Can raise to 3000 as his raise is still at least the size of the previous "raise".

Ohh I love poker rules. :)
My League Website - Joomla Component for TD. Now available for Joomla 1.5, 1.7 & 2.5

Stuart Murray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 09:46:20 AM »
Rule 31 of the Poker TDA rule set: http://appservicesonline.com/PokerTDABlog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Poker_TDARules_2009-Version2_Final_Handout_pdf.pdf

31. Raises
A raise must be at least the size of the largest previous bet or raise of the current betting round. If a player puts in a raise of 50% or more of the previous bet but less than the minimum raise, he or she must make a full raise. The raise will be exactly the minimum raise allowed (see exception for multiple same-denomination chips Rule 33). In no-limit and pot limit, an all-in wager of less than a full raise does not reopen the betting to a player who has already acted.

Robert's Rules of poker v11 http://www.homepokertourney.com/roberts-rules-of-poker.htm

6. Any wager not all-in must be at least the size of the previous bet or raise in that round.

for example:

BB 200
open raise to 600 total (a raise of 400)
the minimum raise in this instance would have to be 400 more (1000 Tota 200+400+400)

There is nothing specific to pre-flop first raise however, players who wish to raise are already facing a FORCED BET (the Big Blind) and hence first raise pre-flop is covered by this wording.

Regards
Stuart
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:58:58 AM by stuamurr »
Stuart Murray

jodybingo

• View Profile
    • Personal Web Site
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 12:27:52 PM »
The big blind is the minimum bet and the small blind is half the minimum bet. The big blind is not a raise and therefore, pre-flop, the minimum raise is double the bet of the big blind.

jhisey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »
The big blind is the minimum bet and the small blind is half the minimum bet. The big blind is not a raise and therefore, pre-flop, the minimum raise is double the bet of the big blind.

Not exactly.  The minimum raise is the size of the big blind, not double the big blind.  If the BB is 200, the minimum raise is 200, or a bet of 400.  "a minimum raise of double the big blind" would mean the minimum raise is 400, or a bet of 600, which is inaccurate.

Magic_fubu

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:31:57 PM »
jhisey, what jody meant is that 'the minimum raise is double the bet of the big blind' is not to raise it 400 if the big blind is 200, but raise it TO 400 if the big blind is 200, thus being "double the big blind". 

If you're going to quote, quote accurately: Jody said minimum raise IS double the bet of the big blind, not that "a minimum raise OF double the big blind"
My cowboys shot down your rockets
---
If you send a request to me please send that you got me from here w/your TD name to confirm. Thanks!

ygoraragao

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2017, 08:21:49 PM »
Roberts Rules: http://www.homepokertourney.com/roberts-rules-of-poker.htm

Betting and Raising.

6. Any wager not all-in must be at least the size of the previous bet or raise in that round

Considering the Big Blind is a forced bet by 2 left of the dealer, the minimum raise, if you are 1st to raise is the size of the Big Blind. From that point on, the minimum raise is the size of the previous raise.

So for example...

Player A - BB  1000

Player B - Raises to 2000

Player C - Can raise to 3000 as his raise is still at least the size of the previous "raise".

Ohh I love poker rules. :)

I've got 2 questions

1 - if the Big Blind is a forced bet.. the next player must be ''raisining'' and not ''betting'' right? Just trying to figure out the correct way to say...

2 - You said '' if you are 1st to raise is the size of the Big Blind''

But.. could I raise more than the size of the Big blind?

like..

Player A - BB  1000
Player B - BB 2500

Thank you kindly !

efdenny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »
1- next player can either "call" or "raise" any amount greater than (or equal to) double the big blind. (2000 or more in this case)
2- Yes, 2500 is a valid amount in this scenario

hitesh911

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2017, 11:05:34 PM »
In No-Limit Hold'em, the minimum bet is usually the big blind. The minimum raise is going to be the amount of the previous bet or raise called. For example, in a 1/2 nl game, the minimum you can raise before the flop is going to be to make $4... you are calling the $2 blind and then raising $2.. :) :) :) :) :)

Lafrog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 06:27:40 PM »
jhisey, what jody meant is that 'the minimum raise is double the bet of the big blind' is not to raise it 400 if the big blind is 200, but raise it TO 400 if the big blind is 200, thus being "double the big blind". 

If you're going to quote, quote accurately: Jody said minimum raise IS double the bet of the big blind, not that "a minimum raise OF double the big blind"

And what Jhisey meant was that the minimum RAISE is the size of a big blind... You guys are confusing RAISE and BET AMOUNT. A raise is the DIFFERENCE between the current bet amount and the previous bet amount.

If the Big Blind is 1000 and I say I raise to 3000, my raise is actually 2000.

But to answer the OP question, No the BB is NOT to be taken as a raise of the SB, the BB shall be used as the starting BET (and minimum BET for all streets of the current hand).